Field extensions and Galois goup

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary: From the previous we also know that $\mathbb{F}_p(a)$ is Galois. From the theorem we also know that $\text{Gal}(\mathbb{F}_p(α)/\mathbb{F}_{p^n} )$ is cyclic and is generated by the automorphism $\tau (x)=x^{p^n}$. We can calculate the order of $\tau$ by calculating the smallest integer $m$ such that $\tau^m(a)=a\Rightarrow a+mb=a$. So we conclude that $m=p$.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $p$ b a prime, $n\in \mathbb{N}$ and let $f=x^{p^n}-1\in \mathbb{F}_p[x]$ be irreducible. Let $a\in \overline{\mathbb{F}}_p$ be a root pf $f$.

We have that $[\mathbb{F}_p(a):\mathbb{F}_p]=p^n$, where $\{1,a,\ldots , a^{p^n-1}\}$ is a basis of $\mathbb{F}_p(a)/\mathbb{F}_p$, so $\mathbb{F}_p(a)=\{c_0+c_1a+\ldots +c_{p^n-1}a^{p^n-1} : c_i\in \mathbb{F}_p\}$. There are $p$ choices for each $c_i$. So, there are $p\cdot p\cdot \ldots \cdot p=p^{p^n}$ choices for $(c_0, c_1, \ldots c_{p^n-1})$. Therefore, we have that $|\mathbb{F}_p(a)|=p^{p^n}$, right? (Wondering)

I want to show that $\mathbb{F}_p(a)$ contains all the roots of $f$.

I holds that every finite extension of a finite field is normal, right? But how can we prove this? (Wondering)

Then I have shown that for each $b\in \mathbb{F}_{p^n}$, $a+b$ is a root of $f$. I have also shown that $\mathbb{F}_{p^n}\leq \mathbb{F}_p(a)$ and $n=p^i$ for some $i\in \{0, 1, \ldots , n\}$.

Then I want to show that $\text{Gal}(\mathbb{F}_p(α)/\mathbb{F}_{p^n} )$ is cyclic and let $\tau$ be a generator. I want to calculate also the order of $\tau$ as a function of $i$.

In the book there is the following corollary:
View attachment 6352

We have that $|\mathbb{F}_{p^n}|=p^n$ and $|\mathbb{F}_p(a)|=p^{p^n}$. From the above we have that $\mathbb{F}_p(α)/\mathbb{F}_{p^n} $ is Galois, $n\mid p^n$, which is true since $n=p^i$. From the theorem we also have that $\text{Gal}(\mathbb{F}_p(α)/\mathbb{F}_{p^n} )$ is cyclic and is generated by the automorphism $\tau (x)=x^{p^n}$.

How can we calculate the order of $\tau$ ? (Wondering)

Then independent from that I want to calculate a simple expression of $\tau^k(a)$.

I have done the following:
Since $\tau$ is a generator of $\text{Gal}(\mathbb{F}_p(α)/\mathbb{F}_{p^n} )$ that means that $\tau$ is a $\mathbb{F}_{p^n}$-automorphism of $\mathbb{F}_p(a)$ that maps to a root of $f$ to an other root, right? (Wondering)

So, we have that $\tau (a)=a+b$. Therefore, we get the following:
$$\tau^2(a)=\tau(a+b)=\tau (a)+\tau (b)=a+b+b=a+2b \\ \tau^3(a)=\tau(\tau^2(a))=\tau (a+2b)=\tau (a)+\tau (2b)=a+b+2b=a+3b \\ \ldots \\ \tau^k(a)=a+kb$$ Is this correct? (Wondering)
The order of $\tau$ is the smallest integer $m$ such that $\tau^m(a)=a\Rightarrow a+mb=a$. Does this imply that $m=p$ ? (Wondering)

Attachments

• galois.PNG
    galois.PNG
    8.7 KB · Views: 56
Physics news on Phys.org
There is a typo at $f$. It should be $f=x^{p^n}-x-1$.

mathmari said:
Let $p$ b a prime, $n\in \mathbb{N}$ and let $f=x^{p^n}-x-1\in \mathbb{F}_p[x]$ be irreducible. Let $a\in \overline{\mathbb{F}}_p$ be a root pf $f$.

We have that $[\mathbb{F}_p(a):\mathbb{F}_p]=p^n$, where $\{1,a,\ldots , a^{p^n-1}\}$ is a basis of $\mathbb{F}_p(a)/\mathbb{F}_p$, so $\mathbb{F}_p(a)=\{c_0+c_1a+\ldots +c_{p^n-1}a^{p^n-1} : c_i\in \mathbb{F}_p\}$. There are $p$ choices for each $c_i$. So, there are $p\cdot p\cdot \ldots \cdot p=p^{p^n}$ choices for $(c_0, c_1, \ldots c_{p^n-1})$. Therefore, we have that $|\mathbb{F}_p(a)|=p^{p^n}$, right? (Wondering)

I want to show that $\mathbb{F}_p(a)$ contains all the roots of $f$.
To show that we have to show that the extension $\mathbb{F}_p(a)/\mathbb{F}_p$ is normal, right? (Wondering)

Since $|\mathbb{F}_p(a)|=p^{p^n}$ we get that for each $e\in \mathbb{F}_p(a)$ it holds that $e^{p^{p^n}}=e \Rightarrow e^{p^{p^n}}-e=0$.
So, each element of $ \mathbb{F}_p(a)$ is a root of $x^{p^{p^n}}-x=0$.
From that we don't get yet that $\mathbb{F}_p(a)$ is the spitting field of $x^{p^{p^n}}-x\in \mathbb{F}_p$, do we? (Wondering)

Related to Field extensions and Galois goup

1. What is a field extension?

A field extension is a mathematical concept that involves extending a base field by adjoining new elements to it. This allows for the creation of a larger field that contains the base field and the newly added elements.

2. What is a Galois group?

A Galois group is a group that represents the symmetries of a field extension in algebra. It is named after the French mathematician Évariste Galois and provides important information about the structure of a field extension.

3. How are field extensions and Galois groups related?

Field extensions and Galois groups are closely related, as the Galois group is used to study the properties and structure of a field extension. In particular, the Galois group helps determine whether a field extension is solvable by radicals.

4. What is the significance of Galois groups in mathematics?

Galois groups have significant applications in various areas of mathematics, including algebra, number theory, and geometry. They provide a powerful tool for understanding and solving problems related to field extensions and their properties.

5. How do you determine the order of a Galois group?

The order of a Galois group is equal to the degree of the field extension. This means that if the field extension has a degree of n, then the Galois group will have n elements. This relationship is known as the fundamental theorem of Galois theory.