Field lines of 3D vector functions

In summary, the field lines of the 3D vector function F(x,y,z) = yzi + zxj + xyk will occur at the intersection of the two curves x^2 - y^2 = C and x^2 -z^2 = D, where C and D are constants.
brunette15
My question regards finding the field lines of the 3D vector function F(x,y,z) = yzi + zxj + xyk.

I was able to compute them to be at the curves x^2 - y^2 = C and x^2 -z^2 = D, where C and D are constants.

From my understanding the field lines will occur at the intersection of these two curves, however I am struggling to understand why the field lines occur at the intersection. If anyone can please just clarify or give me more of an insight as to what is actually happening with the field lines of this vector function that would be very helpful :)

Physics news on Phys.org
brunette15 said:
My question regards finding the field lines of the 3D vector function F(x,y,z) = yzi + zxj + xyk.

I was able to compute them to be at the curves x^2 - y^2 = C and x^2 -z^2 = D, where C and D are constants.

From my understanding the field lines will occur at the intersection of these two curves, however I am struggling to understand why the field lines occur at the intersection. If anyone can please just clarify or give me more of an insight as to what is actually happening with the field lines of this vector function that would be very helpful :)

Hi brunette15! ;)

If we pick a point on the intersection curve and consider it part of a field line, we can try and see in which direction that field line has to go.
The normal of the first surface is given by the gradient of $x^2 - y^2$, which is $2x\boldsymbol{\hat\imath} - 2y\boldsymbol{\hat\jmath}$.
That just happens to be perpendicular to the given direction $\mathbf F(x,y,z)$ of a field line, which we can tell from their dot product, which is zero.
The same holds for the second surface.
In other words the direction of the intersection curve is parallel to the direction of the field line.
That means that the field line coincides with the curve of intersection.

I like Serena said:
Hi brunette15! ;)

If we pick a point on the intersection curve and consider it part of a field line, we can try and see in which direction that field line has to go.
The normal of the first surface is given by the gradient of $x^2 - y^2$, which is $2x\boldsymbol{\hat\imath} - 2y\boldsymbol{\hat\jmath}$.
That just happens to be perpendicular to the given direction $\mathbf F(x,y,z)$ of a field line, which we can tell from their dot product, which is zero.
The same holds for the second surface.
In other words the direction of the intersection curve is parallel to the direction of the field line.
That means that the field line coincides with the curve of intersection.

That helps a lot! Thankyou so much! :D

Related to Field lines of 3D vector functions

1. What are field lines of 3D vector functions?

Field lines of 3D vector functions are imaginary lines that represent the direction and strength of a vector field at different points in three-dimensional space. They are used to visualize the behavior of vector fields and are often represented as curved or straight lines.

2. How are field lines of 3D vector functions calculated?

Field lines of 3D vector functions are calculated by using mathematical equations that represent the vector field. These equations take into account the magnitude and direction of the vectors at different points in space, allowing for the plotting of field lines.

3. What information can be obtained from field lines of 3D vector functions?

Field lines of 3D vector functions provide information about the direction and strength of the vector field at different points in space. They can also be used to identify regions of high and low vector density, as well as the overall behavior and patterns of the vector field.

4. How are field lines of 3D vector functions used in scientific research?

Field lines of 3D vector functions are used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and meteorology, to visualize and analyze vector fields. They can help scientists gain a better understanding of complex phenomena, such as fluid flow, magnetic fields, and electric fields.

5. Can field lines of 3D vector functions be used to predict future behavior?

Field lines of 3D vector functions can provide insights into the behavior of vector fields in a particular system. However, they cannot be used to predict future behavior, as they are based on mathematical equations and do not take into account changing conditions or external influences on the vector field.