Field Lines of an Electric Dipole?

In summary: He has formulated a differential equation and tried using the `far-field' approximation and aligning the dipole with the z axis, but is still struggling to solve it. He asks if anyone has any suggestions or can show him their approach. In summary, finding the field lines for a dipole involves formulating a first order differential equation and using the `far-field' approximation and spherical coordinates can make it easier to solve. However, the specific equation for the field lines is still unknown and the person asking the question is seeking help from others.
tade
600px-VFPt_dipole_electric.svg.png

It isn't difficult to find the electric field of a dipole.

However, it is tricky to find the field lines. All points of a field line have to be parallel to the electric field at those points. A tangent, which is the derivative, is parallel.

We can hence formulate the equation for a field line as the solution to a first order differential equation.

I have already done so, but I haven't been able to solve it. Google has not been my friend either.Does anyone know of the equations that describe the field lines?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you show the approach you are taking it will be easier to help you. In any case, I have a couple of suggestions:

1) use the `far-field' approximation, which means in the denominator of your electrostatic potential, let ##a \rightarrow 0##. This also provides the first term of the multipole expansion, and is what people often mean when talking about a dipole field.

2) align your dipole with the z axis and use spherical coordinates.

When I do these two things I get an ODE that is elementary.

Jason

Likes person_random_normal

Related to Field Lines of an Electric Dipole?

1. What are field lines of an electric dipole?

Field lines of an electric dipole represent the direction and strength of the electric field around a pair of opposite charges. They extend from the positive charge to the negative charge, forming a pattern that resembles two arrows pointing in opposite directions.

2. How are field lines of an electric dipole drawn?

Field lines of an electric dipole are drawn by starting at the positive charge and drawing a line in the direction of the electric field. Then, a line is drawn from the negative charge in the opposite direction. The lines should be curved to show the decreasing strength of the electric field as you move away from the charges.

3. What does the spacing of field lines of an electric dipole indicate?

The spacing of field lines of an electric dipole indicates the strength of the electric field. The closer the lines are together, the stronger the electric field is in that area. The spacing can also show the direction of the electric field, as the lines point away from the positive charge and towards the negative charge.

4. How do field lines of an electric dipole behave at infinity?

At infinity, the field lines of an electric dipole become parallel and equidistant, indicating a uniform electric field. This is because at a great distance, the individual charges in the dipole can be considered as a single point charge, creating a uniform electric field.

5. What is the significance of field lines of an electric dipole?

Field lines of an electric dipole are significant because they help us visualize and understand the direction and strength of the electric field around a pair of opposite charges. They also provide a way to calculate the electric field at any point around the dipole and are an important concept in understanding electricity and magnetism.