Calculating pH of a Buffer Solution with Added Sodium Hydroxide

In summary, a pH 9.56 buffer solution was prepared by mixing 2.00 moles of ammonia and 1.00 moles of ammonium chloride in 1.00L of water. Adding 10.0 mL of 10.0 M sodium hydroxide to a 200 mL aliquot of this solution resulted in a final pH of 9.95, calculated using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation.
moephysics

Homework Statement

A pH 9.56 buffer was prepared by mixing 2.00 moles of
ammonia and 1.00 moles of ammonium chloride in water
to form a solution with a volume of 1.00L.
To a 200 mL aliquot of this solution was added 10.0 mL of
10.0 M sodium hydroxide. What was the resulting pH?

Homework Equations

M(molarity)=n/v
pH(for buffers)=pKa+log[A-]/[CB+]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to make an ice table in order to calculate the final values of concentration but was unsuccessful. I've been giving the answerto the problem and I know how the second part was calculated.
" NH4+ + OH- (g)  NH3 (g) + H2O(l)
i. 0.952 M 0.476 M 1.905 M
C. -0.476 M -0.476 M +0.476 M
Comp 0.476 0 2.38 M
pH = pKa+ log[NH3]
[NH4
+]= −log(1.0×10−14/
1.8×10−5)+ log(2.38M)
(0.476M)= 9.95"
However I have no idea how to there, your help is much appreciated. Thankyou.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is pH?

pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. It is a scale from 0 to 14, with 0 being the most acidic, 7 being neutral, and 14 being the most basic. It is a logarithmic scale, meaning each number represents a 10-fold difference in acidity or basicity.

2. What is the pH problem?

The pH problem refers to the challenge of maintaining a stable pH in a solution. This is important because many chemical reactions and biological processes are dependent on a specific pH range. Significant fluctuations in pH can disrupt these processes and potentially cause harm.

3. How is pH related to equilibrium?

pH is closely related to equilibrium, as it is a measure of the balance between hydrogen ions (H+) and hydroxide ions (OH-) in a solution. In an aqueous solution, water molecules can dissociate into these ions. In equilibrium, the concentration of H+ and OH- ions are equal, resulting in a neutral pH of 7. Changes in concentration of these ions can shift the equilibrium and affect the pH of the solution.

4. How can pH be regulated?

pH can be regulated through the use of buffers, which are substances that can absorb or release H+ ions to maintain a stable pH. Buffers are important in biological systems, as they help to maintain a constant internal pH despite external changes. Additionally, pH can be regulated through chemical reactions that produce or consume H+ ions, or through dilution or concentration of acidic or basic solutions.

5. What factors can affect pH?

Several factors can affect pH, including the concentration of H+ and OH- ions, temperature, and the presence of acidic or basic substances. Biological systems also have mechanisms to regulate pH, such as the release of enzymes that can produce or consume H+ ions. Environmental factors, such as pollution or acid rain, can also impact the pH of natural ecosystems.