Final charge on capacitor for an RC circuit

In summary: That would be if a capacitor and resistor are in series with a voltage source. Think about this: when a capacitor has no current flowing through it, it essentially acts as an open circuit. So what is the voltage across R2 if the capacitor is just an open circuit?The voltage across R2 would be 0.
unseeingdog

Homework Statement

upload_2017-5-29_14-23-29.png

Homework Equations

##q = CE(1 - e^{-t/RC})##

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed that, since the problem specifies that sufficient time has passed, it meant to say that enough time passed. thus making the exponential term in the equation go down to 0, and the charge in the capacitor simply ##CE##, but the book says the answer is (f), and I don't have any idea how.

P.S: Sorry for the title, I accidentally wrote "Optics", and now it seems I can't change it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There's no problem statement, and your image is essentially empty.

Likes unseeingdog
gneill said:
There's no problem statement, and your image is essentially empty.
Sorry, I'm trying to fix it. Something went wrong with the attachment

unseeingdog said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 204491

Homework Equations

##q = CE(1 - e^{-t/RC})##
The equation is not true if the capacitor is not connected directly to the source.
The capacitor is connected to the resistor R2. How is the capacitor voltage related to the voltage across R2?

Likes unseeingdog
unseeingdog said:
P.S: Sorry for the title, I accidentally wrote "Optics", and now it seems I can't change it.
I've fixed your title for you :smile:

Likes unseeingdog
gneill said:
I've fixed your title for you :smile:
Oh, great! Thanks.

ehild said:
The equation is not true if the capacitor is not connected directly to the source.
The capacitor is connected to the resistor R2. How is the capacitor voltage related to the voltage across R2?
Are they equal? Wouldn't the voltage in ##R_2## eventually drop to 0 because of the current going down, or does that equation for the current also not apply?

unseeingdog said:
Are they equal? Wouldn't the voltage in ##R_2## eventually drop to 0 because of the current going down, or does that equation for the current also not apply?
Yes, the voltages are equal as the capacitor and R2 are connected parallel. But why do you think that the current is zero through R2? The source, the two resistors and the switch make a closed loop. Current will flow forever through the resistors.

Likes unseeingdog
ehild said:
Yes, the voltages are equal as the capacitor and R2 are connected parallel. But why do you think that the current is zero through R2? The source, the two resistors and the switch make a closed loop. Current will flow forever through the resistors.
I thought so because of the equation for the current, namely ##i =\left(\frac E R \right) (e^{-t/RC})##, but I suppose that one doesn't apply either, since it's derived from the other one I mentioned.

Nevermind. It was a million times easier than I thought. I just had to do ##iR_2 = \frac q C##, ##i## being ##\ \frac {E}{R_1 + R_2}##. Thanks for the help.

Likes scottdave
unseeingdog said:
Nevermind. It was a million times easier than I thought. I just had to do ##iR_2 = \frac q C##, ##i## being ##\left (\frac {E}{R_1 + R_2} \right)##. Thanks for the help.

Correct, as no current flows through the capacitor in stationary state, after the switch is closed for a long time.

Likes unseeingdog
unseeingdog said:
I thought so because of the equation for the current, namely ##i =\left(\frac E R \right) (e^{-t/RC})##, but I suppose that one doesn't apply either, since it's derived from the other one I mentioned.

That would be if a capacitor and resistor are in series with a voltage source. Think about this: when a capacitor has no current flowing through it, it essentially acts as an open circuit. So what is the voltage across R2 if the capacitor is just an open circuit?

Likes unseeingdog

1) What is the formula for calculating the final charge on a capacitor in an RC circuit?

The formula is Q = Q0(1 - e-t/RC), where Q is the final charge, Q0 is the initial charge, t is the time, R is the resistance, and C is the capacitance.

2) How does the resistance and capacitance affect the final charge on a capacitor in an RC circuit?

The resistance and capacitance affect the time constant (RC) of the circuit, which determines how quickly the capacitor will charge. A larger resistance or capacitance will result in a longer charging time and therefore a lower final charge on the capacitor.

3) Can the final charge on a capacitor in an RC circuit ever be larger than the initial charge?

No, the final charge on a capacitor can never be larger than the initial charge. As the capacitor charges, the voltage across it increases, causing the current to decrease. Eventually, the current will reach zero and the capacitor will be fully charged.

4) How does the time constant of an RC circuit affect the final charge on the capacitor?

The time constant (RC) determines how quickly the capacitor will charge. A longer time constant will result in a slower charging process and a lower final charge on the capacitor. A shorter time constant will result in a faster charging process and a higher final charge on the capacitor.

5) What factors can affect the final charge on a capacitor in an RC circuit?

The final charge on a capacitor can be affected by the initial charge, the time constant, and any external factors such as fluctuations in the power source or changes in the circuit components. The type of capacitor used can also have an impact on the final charge.