Find a nonzero vector normal to a plane

In summary, the conversation is discussing finding a nonzero vector that is perpendicular to a given plane and the attempt at finding the vector using the equation r = ri + tv. The final solution is not specified but some examples are provided and the program may be looking for a specific answer. There is also mention of unit vectors.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Find a nonzero vector normal to the plane -5x -y +z +9 = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so the direction of the vector would be (a,b,c) = (-5,-1,1)
I'm not exactly sure what the final form should look like..
is r = ri + tv on the right track? where i plug (-5,-1,1) in for v and for ri i can plug in any numbers that make -5x - 6 + z +9 = 0?
If so I could theoretically plug in (1,4,0)
so
r= (1i + 4j + 0k) + t(-5i -1j +1k)
r = (1-5t)i + (4-t)j + (t)k

The internet program says I'm wrong.. halp?

Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

Find a nonzero vector normal to the plane -5x -y +z +9 = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so the direction of the vector would be (a,b,c) = (-5,-1,1)
I'm not exactly sure what the final form should look like..
is r = ri + tv on the right track? where i plug (-5,-1,1) in for v and for ri i can plug in any numbers that make -5x - 6 + z +9 = 0?
If so I could theoretically plug in (1,4,0)
so
r= (1i + 4j + 0k) + t(-5i -1j +1k)
r = (1-5t)i + (4-t)j + (t)k

The internet program says I'm wrong.. halp?

Your normal looks fine, but there are an infinite number of vectors that are perpendicular to (normal to) a given plane. However, all of the vectors are scalar multiples of one another. I suspect that the answer the program was looking for was <5, 1, -1>. Or maybe <1, .2, -.2>.

Did it mention anything about wanting a unit vector?

Related to Find a nonzero vector normal to a plane

1. What does it mean to find a nonzero vector normal to a plane?

To find a nonzero vector normal to a plane means to find a vector that is perpendicular, or at a 90 degree angle, to every vector in that plane. This vector is also known as a normal vector or a surface normal.

2. Why is it important to find a nonzero vector normal to a plane?

Finding a nonzero vector normal to a plane is important because it helps determine the orientation and direction of the plane. This information can be useful in various applications, such as computer graphics, physics, and engineering.

3. How do you find a nonzero vector normal to a plane?

To find a nonzero vector normal to a plane, you can use the cross product of two non-parallel vectors in that plane. The resulting vector will be perpendicular to both of the original vectors and thus, normal to the plane.

4. Can there be more than one nonzero vector normal to a plane?

Yes, there can be an infinite number of nonzero vectors that are normal to a plane. This is because there are infinite possible combinations of non-parallel vectors in a plane that can be used to find a normal vector.

5. Is the length of a nonzero vector normal to a plane important?

The length of a nonzero vector normal to a plane is not important, as long as the vector is perpendicular to the plane. However, it can be useful to have a unit normal vector, which has a length of 1, as it simplifies calculations and can be used to determine the distance between a point and the plane.