Find a parametrization of the following level curves

In summary, we discussed parametrizations of different curves, including the parabola $y=x^2$ and the level curves $y^2-x^2=1$ and $\frac{x^2}{4}+\frac{y^2}{9}=1$. We showed that $r(t)=(t^2,t^4)$ is a parametrization of the parabola $y=x^2$ for $x \geq 0$. For the level curve $y^2-x^2=1$, we found that $r(t)=(\cosh t, \sinh t)$ is a parametrization in one direction, but we still need to show the reverse implication. Similarly, for the
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

Is $r(t)=(t^2,t^4)$ a parametrization of the parabola $y=x^2$?

I have written the following:

For $x(t)=t^2$ and $y(t)=t^4$ we have that $y(t)=t^4=(t^2)^2=x^2(t)$, so $r(t)=(t^2,t^4)$ a parametrization of the parabola $y=x^2$.

Is it right? How could we say it more formally? (Thinking)

Also I want to find a parametrization of the following level curves :

• $$y^2-x^2=1$$
  • $$\frac{x^2}{4}+\frac{y^2}{9}=1$$

I have tried the following:

• A parametrization of the level curve $y^2-x^2=1$ is $r(t)=(\cosh t, \sinh t)$ since $\cosh^2 t- \sinh^2 t=1$.
  • A parametrization of the level curve $\frac{x^2}{4}+\frac{y^2}{9}=1$ is $(2 \sin t, 3 \cos t)$ since $\frac{4 \sin^2 t}{4}+\frac{9 \cos^2 t}{9}=1$

Is it right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

What is the value of $t$ for parametrizing the point $(-1,1)$ that is in the parabola?It seems that you are thinking about parametrization just in one direction, you need any point given by the parametrization map being in the object you want to parametrize, but you also need that for any point in the object there exist some parmeter that gives you that point, and that is what is missing in your arguments.

Fallen Angel said:
Hi,

What is the value of $t$ for parametrizing the point $(-1,1)$ that is in the parabola?It seems that you are thinking about parametrization just in one direction, you need any point given by the parametrization map being in the object you want to parametrize, but you also need that for any point in the object there exist some parmeter that gives you that point, and that is what is missing in your arguments.

So is it complete as follows?

For $x(t)=t^2$ and $y(t)=t^4$ we have that $y(t)=t^4=(t^2)^2=x^2(t)$, so $r(t)=(t^2,t^4)$ a parametrization of the parabola $y=x^2$ where $x \geq 0$.

evinda said:
So is it complete as follows?

For $x(t)=t^2$ and $y(t)=t^4$ we have that $y(t)=t^4=(t^2)^2=x^2(t)$, so $r(t)=(t^2,t^4)$ a parametrization of the parabola $y=x^2$ where $x \geq 0$.

Hey evinda! (Smile)

It is correct.
But I think we're supposed to verify that each of the implications hold in both directions. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Hey evinda! (Smile)

It is correct.
But I think we're supposed to verify that each of the implications hold in both directions. (Thinking)

So should it be as follows?

Since $t^4=(t^2)^2$ for each $t$ the coordinates $x=t^2$ , $y=t^4$ of $r(t)$ satisfy the relation $y=x^2$ for $x \geq 0$.

Conversely, we want to parametrize the parabola $y=x^2$. We set $x=t^2$ and then we have $y=t^4$ so we get the parametrization $r(t)=(t^2, t^4)$.

Therefore, $r(t)=(t^2,t^4)$ is a parametrization of the parabola $y=x^2$ with $x \geq 0$.

evinda said:
So should it be as follows?

Since $t^4=(t^2)^2$ for each $t$ the coordinates $x=t^2$ , $y=t^4$ of $r(t)$ satisfy the relation $y=x^2$ for $x \geq 0$.

Conversely, we want to parametrize the parabola $y=x^2$. We set $x=t^2$ and then we have $y=t^4$ so we get the parametrization $r(t)=(t^2, t^4)$.

Therefore, $r(t)=(t^2,t^4)$ is a parametrization of the parabola $y=x^2$ with $x \geq 0$.

I think it should be like:
$$r(t)=(x(t), y(t)) = (t^2,t^4) \Rightarrow y=x^2$$
But for $x=-1$ the following does not hold:
$$y=x^2 \Rightarrow r(t)=(x(t), y(t)) = (t^2,t^4) $$

Therefore $r(t)=(t^2,t^4)$ is not a parametrization of $y=x^2$. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
I think it should be like:
$$r(t)=(x(t), y(t)) = (t^2,t^4) \Rightarrow y=x^2$$
But for $x=-1$ the following does not hold:
$$y=x^2 \Rightarrow r(t)=(x(t), y(t)) = (t^2,t^4) $$

Therefore $r(t)=(t^2,t^4)$ is not a parametrization of $y=x^2$. (Thinking)

Ah, I see... And how could we show that it is a parametrization for $x \geq 0$ ? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Ah, I see... And how could we show that it is a parametrization for $x \geq 0$ ? (Thinking)

For $x \geq 0$ we can pick $t=\sqrt x$, which satisfies the implication. (Mmm)

I like Serena said:
For $x \geq 0$ we can pick $t=\sqrt x$, which satisfies the implication. (Mmm)

Nice... Thank you! (Smile)

• $$y^2-x^2=1$$
  • $$\frac{x^2}{4}+\frac{y^2}{9}=1$$

• A parametrization of the level curve $y^2-x^2=1$ is $r(t)=(\cosh t, \sinh t)$ since $\cosh^2 t- \sinh^2 t=1$.
  • A parametrization of the level curve $\frac{x^2}{4}+\frac{y^2}{9}=1$ is $(2 \sin t, 3 \cos t)$ since $\frac{4 \sin^2 t}{4}+\frac{9 \cos^2 t}{9}=1$

Is it right?

evinda said:

• $y^2-x^2=1$
  • $\frac{x^2}{4}+\frac{y^2}{9}=1$

Is it right?

It is correct but not sufficient.
We still need to show the reverse implication. (Sweating)

I like Serena said:
It is correct but not sufficient.
We still need to show the reverse implication. (Sweating)

A parametrization of the level curve $y^2-x^2=1$ is $r(t)=(\cosh t, \sinh t)$, because:
  • For $x= \sinh t, y= \cosh t$ we have $y^2-x^2=\cosh^2 t- \sinh^2 t=1, t \in \mathbb{R}$.

This is the one direction, right?
  • Which should be the other direction? I am a little confused right now... (Thinking)

evinda said:
A parametrization of the level curve $y^2-x^2=1$ is $r(t)=(\cosh t, \sinh t)$, because:
  • For $x= \sinh t, y= \cosh t$ we have $y^2-x^2=\cosh^2 t- \sinh^2 t=1, t \in \mathbb{R}$.

This is the one direction, right?
  • Which should be the other direction? I am a little confused right now... (Thinking)

You have shown that $\{ r(t)=(\cosh t, \sinh t) : t \in \mathbb R \} \subseteq \{ (x,y) : y^2-x^2=1 \}$.
But do we also have that $\{ (x,y) : y^2-x^2=1 \} \subseteq \{ r(t)=(\cosh t, \sinh t) : t \in \mathbb R \}$? (Wondering)

In other words, suppose we pick some point $(x,y)$ that is part of $y^2-x^2=1$, can we always find a corresponding $t$?

I like Serena said:
You have shown that $\{ r(t)=(\cosh t, \sinh t) : t \in \mathbb R \} \subseteq \{ (x,y) : y^2-x^2=1 \}$.
But do we also have that $\{ (x,y) : y^2-x^2=1 \} \subseteq \{ r(t)=(\cosh t, \sinh t) : t \in \mathbb R \}$? (Wondering)

In other words, suppose we pick some point $(x,y)$ that is part of $y^2-x^2=1$, can we always find a corresponding $t$?

So do we have to say the following?

Suppose that we pick some point $(x,y)$ that satisfies $y^2-x^2=1$. We pick $t= arc \cosh y = -arc \sinh x$.

evinda said:
So do we have to say the following?

Suppose that we pick some point $(x,y)$ that satisfies $y^2-x^2=1$. We pick $t= arc \cosh y = -arc \sinh x$.

For instance yes... do they always work?
What's the domain of $\arcosh$? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
For instance yes... do they always work?
What's the domain of $\arcosh$? (Wondering)

It is $[1, +\infty)$, right? So we have to mention this restriction, right? (Thinking)

evinda said:
It is $[1, +\infty)$, right? So we have to mention this restriction, right? (Thinking)

Yep. So we can be sure that the left half of the curve is not covered. (Thinking)

As far as I am concerned, it means that the given parametrization is not a parametrization of the given level curve.
It's only a parametrization of part of the level curve.
We can mention under which restriction it is a parametrization, which would actually be an explanation why it's not. (Nerd)

I like Serena said:
Yep. So we can be sure that the left half of the curve is not covered. (Thinking)

As far as I am concerned, it means that the given parametrization is not a parametrization of the given level curve.
We can mention under which restriction it is a parametrization, which would actually be an explanation why it's not. (Nerd)

So to find a right parametrization, do we have to pick a point $(x,y)$ such that $t$ will have $\mathbb{R}$ as its domain? (Thinking)

evinda said:
So to find a right parametrization, do we have to pick a point $(x,y)$ such that $t$ will have $\mathbb{R}$ as its domain? (Thinking)

Huh? :confused:

I like Serena said:

I like Serena said:
Huh? :confused:

Because of the fact that $t \in [1,+\infty)$ it holds that $(\cosh t, \sinh t)$ is not parametrization of the given level curve.
Or have I understood it wrong? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Because of the fact that $t \in [1,+\infty)$ it holds that $(\cosh t, \sinh t)$ is not parametrization of the given level curve.
Or have I understood it wrong? (Thinking)

I'm just noticing that $x$ and $y$ and $\cosh t, \sinh t$ have been mixed up. :eek:

The equation $y^2-x^2=1$ represents a hyperbola with a top half and a bottom half.
The parametrization $(\sinh t, \cosh t)$ represents the top half of that hyperbola.

It should be that $y=\cosh t \in [1,+\infty)$, which indeed means that only the top half of the hyperbola is covered. (Nerd)

I like Serena said:
I'm just noticing that $x$ and $y$ and $\cosh t, \sinh t$ have been mixed up. :eek:

The equation $y^2-x^2=1$ represents a hyperbola with a top half and a bottom half.
The parametrization $(\sinh t, \cosh t)$ represents the top half of that hyperbola.

It should be that $y=\cosh t \in [1,+\infty)$, which indeed means that only the top half of the hyperbola is covered. (Nerd)

So do we have to pick the parametrization $(\pm \cosh x, \sinh x )$ and then pick $t=arc \sinh x= arc \cosh y$ if $t >0$, $t=arc \sinh x=-arc \cosh y$ if $t<0$ ? (Thinking)

Erm... I think there's a couple of things wrong with your last post... :eek:

I like Serena said:
Erm... I think there's a couple of things wrong with your last post... :eek:

Should it be maybe as follows?

• For $x= \sinh t, y= \pm \cosh t$ we have $y^2-x^2=(\pm \cosh t)^2- (\sinh t)^2=1, t \in \mathbb{R}$.
  • Suppose that it holds $y^2-x^2=1$. We can pick a $t$ such that $x= \sinh t$ since $\sinh t$ is surjective.
    Then we have $y^2- (\sinh t)^2=1 \Rightarrow y^2= 1+ (\sinh t)^2= (\cosh t)^2 \Rightarrow y= \pm \cosh t$.

Thus $r(t)=(\pm \cosh t, \sinh t)$ is a parametrization of the level curve $y^2-x^2=1$.

evinda said:
Should it be maybe as follows?

• For $x= \sinh t, y= \pm \cosh t$ we have $y^2-x^2=(\pm \cosh t)^2- (\sinh t)^2=1, t \in \mathbb{R}$.
  • Suppose that it holds $y^2-x^2=1$. We can pick a $t$ such that $x= \sinh t$ since $\sinh t$ is surjective.
    Then we have $y^2- (\sinh t)^2=1 \Rightarrow y^2= 1+ (\sinh t)^2= (\cosh t)^2 \Rightarrow y= \pm \cosh t$.

Thus $r(t)=(\pm \cosh t, \sinh t)$ is a parametrization of the level curve $y^2-x^2=1$.

Looks fine to me. (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Looks fine to me. (Nod)

Nice! (Happy)

So to show that a parametrization of the level curve $\frac{x^2}{4}+\frac{y^2}{9}=1$ is $(2 \sin t, 3 \cos t)$ do we have to say the following?

• For $x=2 \sin t, y= 3 \cos t$ we have $\frac{x^2}{4}+\frac{y^2}{9}=\frac{4 \sin^2 t}{4}+\frac{9 \cos^2 t}{9}= \sin^2 t+ \cos^2 t=1$
  • Let $\frac{x^2}{4}+\frac{y^2}{9}=1$. In this case we can't take i.e. a $t$ so that $x=2 \sin t$ since the latter function isn't surjective. Or am I wrong? (Thinking)

evinda said:
[*] Let $\frac{x^2}{4}+\frac{y^2}{9}=1$. In this case we can't take i.e. a $t$ so that $x=2 \sin t$ since the latter function isn't surjective. Or am I wrong? (Thinking)

Surjective from what to what exactly? (Wondering)
That makes quite a difference in this case.

I like Serena said:
Surjective from what to what exactly? (Wondering)
That makes quite a difference in this case.

Do we maybe have to pick the parametrization $( \pm 2 \sin t, 3 \cos t)$ ?
Because I have thought the following:

• For $x= \pm 2 \sin t, y= 3 \cos t$ we have $\frac{x^2}{4}+\frac{y^2}{9}=\frac{4 \sin^2 t}{4}+\frac{9 \cos^2 t}{9}= \sin^2 t+ \cos^2 t=1$
  • Let $\frac{x^2}{4}+\frac{y^2}{9}=1$. Then $\frac{y^2}{9}=1-\frac{x^2}{4} \leq 1 \Rightarrow -3 \leq y \leq 3$.
    We can pick a $t$ such that $y=3 \cos t $ since the latter is surjective from $\mathbb{R}$ to $[-3,3]$, or isn't it? :confused:
    Then we have $\frac{x^2}{4}=1-\frac{9 \cos^2 t}{9}=\sin^2 t \Rightarrow x^2=4 \sin^2 t \Rightarrow x= \pm 2 \sin t$.

evinda said:
We can pick a $t$ such that $y=3 \cos t $ since the latter is surjective from $\mathbb{R}$ to $[-3,3]$, or isn't it? :confused:

Yep. it is. (Nod)

Then we have $\frac{x^2}{4}=1-\frac{9 \cos^2 t}{9}=\sin^2 t \Rightarrow x^2=4 \sin^2 t \Rightarrow x= \pm 2 \sin t$.

Do we need the $\pm$?
Or can we do without? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Yep. it is. (Nod)

So does this mean that $3 \cos t$ does never get twice the same value?

I like Serena said:
Do we need the $\pm$?
Or can we do without? (Wondering)
How can we check this? (Thinking)

evinda said:
So does this mean that $3 \cos t$ does never get twice the same value?

It does.
That's why it's surjective but not injective. (Mmm)

How can we check this? (Thinking)

As you said, $3 \cos t$ gets each of the values in $(-3,3)$ twice.
Once where $\sin t$ is positive and once where it is negative, which corresponds exactly to the $\pm$. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
It does.
That's why it's surjective but not injective. (Mmm)

Ah I see... (Nod)

I like Serena said:
As you said, $3 \cos t$ gets each of the values in $(-3,3)$ twice.
Once where $\sin t$ is positive and once where it is negative, which corresponds exactly to the $\pm$. (Thinking)

Could you explain it further to me? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Ah I see... (Nod)
Could you explain it further to me? (Thinking)

For each $(x,y)$ in the curve, we can pick $t=\operatorname {atan2}(\frac y 3, \frac x 2)$.
See atan2 on wiki.

As a result we have $x=2\cos t$ and $y=3\sin t$, satisfying the implication.
Therefore every point in $\frac {x^2}{4} + \frac{y^2}{9}=1$ is also in $(2\cos t, 3\sin t)$. (Whew)

I like Serena said:
For each $(x,y)$ in the curve, we can pick $t=\operatorname {atan2}(\frac y 3, \frac x 2)$.
See atan2 on wiki.

As a result we have $x=2\cos t$ and $y=3\sin t$, satisfying the implication.
Therefore every point in $\frac {x^2}{4} + \frac{y^2}{9}=1$ is also in $(2\cos t, 3\sin t)$. (Whew)

How can we explain it without the use of [m] atan2 [/m] ? (Thinking)

evinda said:
How can we explain it without the use of [m] atan2 [/m] ? (Thinking)

Pick $t$ such that $\cos t = \frac {x/2}{\sqrt{(x/2)^2+(y/3)^2}}$ and $\sin t = \frac {y/3}{\sqrt{(x/2)^2+(y/3)^2}}$.
:eek:

Or else recognize that $\frac {x^2}{4} + \frac {y^2}{9}=1$ represents the ellipse with semi-axes $2$ and $3$.
And that $(2\cos t, 3\sin t)$ also represents the ellipse with semi-axes $2$ and $3$. (Thinking)

1. What is a parametrization?

A parametrization is a mathematical representation of a curve or surface in terms of one or more parameters. It allows us to describe the points on the curve or surface using a set of equations.

2. Why do we need to find a parametrization of a level curve?

Parametrization of a level curve helps us to understand the behavior of the curve and make calculations easier. It also allows us to plot the curve and analyze its properties.

3. How do you find a parametrization of a level curve?

To find a parametrization of a level curve, we need to first set up an equation in terms of two variables, usually x and y. Then, we can solve for one variable in terms of the other and substitute it into the original equation. This will give us a parametric equation in terms of a single parameter, usually t.

4. Can a level curve have multiple parametrizations?

Yes, a level curve can have multiple parametrizations. This is because there are infinitely many ways to represent a curve using different parameters. However, all parametrizations should give the same curve when plotted.

5. How do you know if a parametrization is correct?

A correct parametrization should satisfy the original equation of the level curve. This means that when we plug in the values of the parameter into the parametric equations, it should give us points that lie on the curve. Additionally, the parametrization should also be continuous and differentiable at all points along the curve.