Find a Physics Textbook: Get Recommendations Here

In summary, the conversation is about a person who lost their physics textbook and is looking for recommendations for a new one. The recommended textbook is Halliday and Resnick's "Fundamentals of Physics" which has an older edition available at a cheaper price. Another person also shares their struggle in finding a good physics book that teaches the material and provides solutions to problems, specifically mentioning Ohanian's books.
PhysicsN_b
Hi Guys,

I have lost my physics textbook that I had in college, and would like to have one to reference at work. I was wondering if you guys had any good recommendations for a "general physics" textbook that I could buy.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The standard one recommended around here is usually Halliday and Resnick ''Fundamentals of Physics''

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0470469110/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Since you just want a reference, you can find an older edition that would be much cheaper, but this is the most up-to-date edition.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still use my Halliday and Resnick from the 1960's...

Thanks guys!

I have a similar problem .. the right Physics textbook. I'm retired from my university as a Mechanical engineer, and I would like to review and continue my education in Physics. Right now I'm reading and working in the Ohanian books, but I find the first one to be less than ideal. There are more than 100 problems at the end of each chapter, but Ohanian's student manual is not sufficient, and it is impossible to learn from what is in the chapters themselves. I have looked everywhere, and have yet to find a GOOD physics book that actually teaches the material, and also shows how the problems at the end of the chapter are actually done ... not just the wrong odd answers. Does such a book exist ?? Ohanian's books would be excellent if there was a Physics blog out there with ALL of the problems worked.

Related to Find a Physics Textbook: Get Recommendations Here

1. What are some good physics textbooks for beginners?

Some popular options for beginner physics textbooks include "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Giancoli, "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, and "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick.

2. Are there any physics textbooks specifically for self-study?

Yes, there are many self-study physics textbooks available, such as "Conceptual Physics" by Hewitt, "Understanding Physics" by Cummings, and "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Feynman, Leighton, and Sands.

3. Which physics textbook is best for preparing for standardized tests?

Some recommended textbooks for standardized test preparation include "Cracking the AP Physics 1 Exam" by Princeton Review, "5 Steps to a 5: AP Physics 1" by Greg Jacobs, and "Barron's AP Physics 1" by Kenneth Rideout and Jonathan Wolf.

4. I am interested in a specific topic in physics. Are there textbooks that focus on this topic?

Yes, there are many specialized physics textbooks that focus on specific topics, such as "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Classical Electrodynamics" by John David Jackson, and "Thermodynamics and an Introduction to Thermostatistics" by Herbert B. Callen.

5. How do I decide which physics textbook is right for me?

When choosing a physics textbook, consider your level of experience and understanding of the subject, your learning style, and the specific topics you are interested in. It may also be helpful to read reviews and compare the content and approach of different textbooks before making a decision.