Find acceleration between two blocks (bottom block)

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a block with a mass of 3kg and a force of 20N. The person is trying to find the acceleration of the block, but is having trouble due to not taking into account the mass of the top block. They also mention a mistake they made on a previous exam and ask for help understanding ranking forces.
isukatphysics69
mar30.PNG
mar302.PNG
1. Homework Statement

Problem in pictures

Homework Equations

f=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

So the tension force is 20N, i took the frictional force on the bottom of the block as 3*9.8*.4 because the bottom of the block has a total mass of top block and bottom block = 3kg, so i have 20N - friction between top and bottom block - friction between bottom block and surface = 20N - 11.76N - 3.92N = 4.32N DIVIDED BY A TOTAL OF 3KG (TOP AND BOTTOM BLOCK) = 1.44 M/S^2.. why is this wrong?

Attachments

• mar30.PNG
    mar30.PNG
    15.1 KB · Views: 1,109
  • mar302.PNG
    mar302.PNG
    11.9 KB · Views: 783
Physics news on Phys.org
isukatphysics69 said:
DIVIDED BY A TOTAL OF 3KG (TOP AND BOTTOM BLOCK)
Why?

haruspex said:
Why?
because the total mass is 3kg, the 2kg block has a 1kg block on top. so if i pull with 20N i have to take into account the top block an additional 1kg

isukatphysics69 said:
because the total mass is 3kg, the 2kg block has a 1kg block on top. so if i pull with 20N i have to take into account the top block an additional 1kg
Which system did you compute the forces on? What is the total mass of that system?

Orodruin said:
Which system did you compute the forces on? What is the total mass of that system?
hey i figured that problem out, do you understand ranking forces?

mar303.PNG

Attachments

• mar303.PNG
    mar303.PNG
    28.5 KB · Views: 423
ahh i see one thing i did wrong here...

i never read the problems carefully because i am an idiot, i could have gotten a B on my calc 2 exam but i got a C because i was looking for volume rather than surface area, i didn't realize until i only had 20 minutes left for the exam and i ended up with a C

But this ranking forces stuff is still very confusing

mar304.PNG

Vertical forces, Force on block A from hand > force on block b from block A > force gravity on block A from Earth > force gravity on block b from Earth > force friction between both blocks that are equal

Incorrect

Attachments

• mar304.PNG
    mar304.PNG
    23.8 KB · Views: 779
isukatphysics69 said:
View attachment 223106
Vertical forces, Force on block A from hand > force on block b from block A > force gravity on block A from Earth > force gravity on block b from Earth > force friction between both blocks that are equal

Incorrect
That last attempt is clearly wrong since you have FFBA > ... FFBA.
It might help if you start by writing out the usual force balance equations for each block.

1. What is the formula for finding acceleration between two blocks?

The formula for finding acceleration between two blocks is a = (m2 – m1)g / (m2 + m1), where a is the acceleration, m2 is the mass of the top block, m1 is the mass of the bottom block, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

2. How do I determine the mass of the top and bottom blocks?

To determine the mass of the blocks, you will need to measure their weight using a scale. Then, divide the weight by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²) to calculate the mass in kilograms (kg).

3. Can I use this formula if the blocks have different masses?

Yes, this formula can be used when the blocks have different masses. Simply plug in the mass values for each block in the formula: a = (m2 – m1)g / (m2 + m1).

4. What is the significance of finding the acceleration between two blocks?

Finding the acceleration between two blocks can help us understand the forces acting on the blocks and how they are moving in relation to each other. It can also be used to calculate the net force acting on the blocks.

5. Can I use this formula for objects other than blocks?

While this formula is commonly used for calculating acceleration between two blocks, it can also be applied to other objects as long as their masses and the acceleration due to gravity are known.