Find Accurate Weather Logs for Your Astronomy Observations | Natski

In summary, Natski offers accurate weather logs for astronomy observations. These logs provide detailed information on weather conditions such as temperature, humidity, wind speed, and cloud cover, allowing astronomers to plan their observations accordingly. Natski's weather logs are updated regularly and cover locations all over the world, making it a reliable resource for stargazing enthusiasts. With Natski, astronomers can ensure that their observations are not affected by unexpected weather conditions, maximizing their chances of a successful and enjoyable experience.
natski
Hi all,

I have photometry from a number of sources with only very sparse details about the observing conditions at the time. The only information I have is the date, the filter and the longitude & latitude of the observer.

Is there any program or website on which one can enter any latitude & longitude plus a date and it will be able to estimate or reproduce the weather logs for that area? Specifically I need ground temperature, ground pressure and if possible humidity.

Any tips would be very much appreciated,

Natski

Astronomy news on Phys.org
For that matter, I cannot find anything that would produce the elevation of a given longitude and latitude and would work well with a script...

Thanks, but is there anything where you enter longitude and latitude rather than the name of a place?

Also, the elevation problem remains unsolved. I have found several java scripts on the web but nothing which one could easily link into a code.

Natski

Hmm...not sure about lat and long. I think you may have to manually find the nearest town.

...what elevation problem?

Hmm that's a great shame... it would make an automated script somehow impossible (or at least from my point of view).

Elevation problem - I am referring to other problem I posed: is it possible to somehow input long & lat and output elevation of that target (i..e altitude above sea-level). I have found java scripts to do this but nothing which could be linked into a script running on my machine.

Natski

http://www.earthtools.org/webservices.htm

I had the same trouble finding elevations from lat/long a few months ago. Then I found the above site. It works quite simply, submit the lat and long in the url and it'll return some XML that includes the elevation.

example:
http://www.earthtools.org/height/52.4822/-1.8946

Last edited by a moderator:
That is excellent, exactly what I was looking for! Thank-you so much.

Related to Find Accurate Weather Logs for Your Astronomy Observations | Natski

1. What is old weather information?

Old weather information refers to historical data and records of weather conditions, such as temperature, precipitation, wind speed, and atmospheric pressure, collected and recorded in the past by various methods and instruments.

2. Why is old weather information important?

Old weather information is important for several reasons. It can provide valuable insights into past weather patterns, which can help us understand and predict future climate changes. It also helps with disaster preparedness and management, as well as studying the impact of weather on agriculture, economy, and society.

3. How is old weather information collected and recorded?

Old weather information is collected and recorded through various methods, such as weather stations, ships, buoys, weather balloons, and satellites. In the past, manual measurements were taken using instruments like thermometers, barometers, and anemometers. Nowadays, automated systems are used for data collection and recording.

4. What challenges are associated with using old weather information?

There are several challenges associated with using old weather information. One of the main challenges is the inconsistency and inaccuracy of data due to variations in measurement methods and equipment over time. Additionally, data from certain regions or time periods may be missing or incomplete, making it difficult to create a comprehensive and reliable dataset.

5. How is old weather information used in scientific research?

Old weather information is used in various scientific research fields, such as climatology, meteorology, and environmental studies. It is used to analyze past weather patterns and trends, identify climate change impacts, and develop predictive models. It also helps with studying the relationship between weather and natural phenomena, such as hurricanes and droughts, and their effects on ecosystems and human societies.