Find an expression for linear momentum and torque

In summary, the problem is to find the expression for angular momentum and torque acting on a particle with weight 86.8 N positioned at r= (8.1t)i - (7.2t-9.4t2)j, where t is in seconds. The equations for calculating angular momentum and torque are given, and knowing the position, velocity, and acceleration of the particle, the expressions can be determined by plugging them into the equations.
Stickboy10
Hi guys, I am hoping you can either point me in the right direction here or show me how to do this a bit. the problem is as follows:

"a particle with weight 86.8 N is positioned at r= (8.1t)i - (7.2t-9.4t2)j.
t is in seconds. Find an expression for angular momentum, L and torque, T which act on this particle." (i is the x vector and j is the y vector)

What I am not getting is how to relate L and T to the weight and position vector. Thanks for any help guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to find angular momentum in general?

Once you know how to find the angular momentum we can talk about the torque.

You should know that

[tex] \vec \tau = \vec r \times \vec F [/tex]

and also that

[tex] \vec L = \vec r \times m \vec v [/tex]

Okay so from this I find that
[tex]\bar{L}[/tex] = [tex]\bar{r}[/tex] x m[tex]\bar{v}[/tex]
and
[tex]\bar{\tau}[/tex] = [tex]\bar{r}[/tex] x m[tex]\bar{a}[/tex]

The difference between the two is the acceleration from the velocity. Acceleration is the derivative of velocity. So it looks like I find the linear momentum first and then since I have that I can solve for the velocity, take the derivitive, sub into the torque equation and then solve the acceleration.

oh... that won't work will it.

Stickboy10 said:
Okay so from this I find that
[tex]\bar{L}[/tex] = [tex]\bar{r}[/tex] x m[tex]\bar{v}[/tex]
and
[tex]\bar{\tau}[/tex] = [tex]\bar{r}[/tex] x m[tex]\bar{a}[/tex]

The difference between the two is the acceleration from the velocity. Acceleration is the derivative of velocity. So it looks like I find the linear momentum first and then since I have that I can solve for the velocity, take the derivitive, sub into the torque equation and then solve the acceleration.

oh... that won't work will it.

You are given the position vector. You can take a time derivative to find the velocity, and another time derivative to find the acceleration. You have the mass. You have everything. Just plug the position, velocity, and acceleration into the equations and you got it.

remember

[tex] \vec v = \frac{d \vec r}{dt} [/tex]

[tex] \vec a = \frac{d \vec v }{dt} [/tex]

Oh duh! I don't why I didnt see that! Thank you AlexChandler.

Related to Find an expression for linear momentum and torque

1. What is linear momentum and torque?

Linear momentum is a measure of an object's motion in a straight line, and it is equal to the product of an object's mass and its velocity. Torque, on the other hand, is a measure of an object's rotational motion and is equal to the product of the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied and the magnitude of the force.

2. Why is it important to find an expression for linear momentum and torque?

Understanding the expressions for linear momentum and torque allows us to accurately predict the motion and behavior of objects in both linear and rotational situations. It is especially important in fields such as physics, engineering, and mechanics.

3. How do you calculate linear momentum and torque?

Linear momentum can be calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity, while torque is calculated by multiplying the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied by the magnitude of the force.

4. What are the units for linear momentum and torque?

The SI unit for linear momentum is kilogram-meter per second (kg·m/s), while the SI unit for torque is newton-meter (N·m).

5. Can you give an example of an expression for linear momentum and torque?

Yes, an example of an expression for linear momentum would be p = mv, where p is the linear momentum, m is the mass, and v is the velocity. An example of an expression for torque would be τ = Fd, where τ is the torque, F is the force, and d is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.