chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Write down an irrational number, ##n## where ##31<n< 32## [1mark]
Relevant Equations
past international exam paper- Numbers
I just came across this question and the ms indicates,

1706149808786.png

Would ##31.5## be correct? ...i think it is rational as it can be expressed as ##31.5 = \dfrac{63}{2}##.

Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
Homework Statement: Write down an irrational number, ##n## where ##31<n< 32## [1mark]
Relevant Equations: past international exam paper- Numbers

I just came across this question and the ms indicates,

View attachment 339123

Would ##31.5## be correct? ...i think it is rational as it can be expressed as ##31.5 = \dfrac{63}{2}##.
As you showed, 31.5 is rational, so not correct.

What do you know about rational numbers when expressed in decimal form?

SammyS said:
As you showed, 31.5 is rational, so not correct.

What do you know about rational numbers when expressed in decimal form?
...they can always be expressed as a fraction...

Let us go with ##10π ## cheers @SammyS

It is clear now...

My bad, i misread the ms as ' any number satisfying the inequality'.

Likes Delta2
@chwala your solution is a clever shortcut where you climb upon the shoulders of Archimedes and ##\pi##.

My solution would be to choose the number ##x=31.a_1a_2...a_i...##

where I define as ##a_i=## the first digit of the number ##i## in decimal system.

Now who can prove that this number x is indeed irrational? e hehe My intuition tells me that it is irrational cause I cant find an easy way to prove that its digits have a period but i might be wrong.

• Haha
Likes chwala
Delta2 said:
@chwala your solution is a clever shortcut where you climb upon the shoulders of Archimedes and ##\pi##.

where I define as ##a_i=## the first digit of the number ##i## in decimal system.

Now who can prove that this number x is indeed irrational? e hehe My intuition tells me that it is irrational cause I cant find an easy way to prove that its digits have a period but i might be wrong.
The number looks to be male, so won't likely have a period. ;).

• Haha
  • Love
Likes e_jane, chwala, Delta2 and 1 other person
WWGD said:
The number looks to be male, so won't likely have a period. ;).
A haha best post of the new year so far....

Likes WWGD
Maybe you can just use an argument by contradiction. If 31.a1a2... were Rational, then, given Rationals are closed under addition, so would 31.a1a2...-31= 0.a1a2...

Maybe slightly-contrived, but works.

WWGD said:
Maybe you can just use an argument by contradiction. If 31.a1a2... were Rational, then, given Rationals are closed under addition, so would 31.a1a2...-31= 0.a1a2...

Maybe slightly-contrived, but works.
ye ok this is correct but the main problem is why 0.a1a2... is irrational, the way I see it is that it seems to (after the initial segment which is 0.123456789) contain subsegments of 11111.... (or 22222.. or 33333..) that seem to have increasing length with no bound on the length , so there is no period, but it is gonna be hard to find a rigorous way .

Likes WWGD
Delta2 said:
ye ok this is correct but the main problem is why 0.a1a2... is irrational, the way I see it is that it seems to (after the initial segment which is 0.123456789) contain subsegments of 11111.... (or 22222.. or 33333..) that seem to have increasing length with no bound on the length , so there is no period, but it is gonna be hard to find a rigorous way .
I thought if you just assume there is at least one Irrational in [0,1], that would do it. You could, e.g., use that [0,1] is uncountable, but Rationals; specifically Rationals in [0,1] are countable, then there have to be Irrationals in [0,1] too.

WWGD said:
I thought if you just assume there is at least one Irrational in [0,1], that would do it. You could, e.g., use that [0,1] is uncountable, but Rationals; specifically Rationals in [0,1] are countable, then there have to be Irrationals in [0,1] too.
Yes right [0,1] has infinite rationals and infinite irrationals so it is something like a micrography of the set of real numbers. The initial problem can be shifted to find a specific irrational in [0,1].

Delta2 said:

I would not call that a shortcut - on the contrary, I think it is what is essentially expected. You are making things unnecessarily complicated here for no good reason. It doesn’t have to be ##\pi## (although it fits very well), but any known irrational number will work well multiplied by a suitable rational number.

Another reasonable approach is to take the square root of a number between ##31^2 = 961## and ##32^2 = 1024##. Since those numbers are not perfect squares, their prime factorization will contain at least one prime raised to an odd power, resulting in an irrational number. Say ##\sqrt{1000} = 10\sqrt{10}##, which is clearly irrational.

• Informative
Likes e_jane, PeroK and chwala
Orodruin said:
I would not call that a shortcut - on the contrary, I think it is what is essentially expected. You are making things unnecessarily complicated here for no good reason. It doesn’t have to be ##\pi## (although it fits very well), but any known irrational number will work well multiplied by a suitable rational number.
Yes ok true I just thought that this ##a_i## might intrigue the minds of the readers here :D
On your path of thought, we can take as number ##12e-1## just to use ##e## the other big star of irrationals in mathematics.
Orodruin said:
Another reasonable approach is to take the square root of a number between ##31^2 = 961## and ##32^2 = 1024##. Since those numbers are not perfect squares, their prime factorization will contain at least one prime raised to an odd power, resulting in an irrational number. Say ##\sqrt{1000} = 10\sqrt{10}##, which is clearly irrational.

Is that a well known result that the square root of a prime raised to an odd power is an irrational?

Likes chwala
Delta2 said:
Is that a well known result that the square root of a prime raised to an odd power is an irrational?
Yes. You can prove it along the same lines as proving that ##\sqrt{2}## is irrational.

Not only that, but a product of any number of distinct primes is irrational.

• Informative
Likes chwala and Delta2
Orodruin said:
Not only that, but a product of any number of distinct primes is irrational.
Slight correction, you mean the square root (or even possible the n-th root for any n>1) of such a product is irrational.

Delta2 said:
If the square root of a positive integer is not an integer, then it is irrational. It is never a proper rational number. This follows directly from unique prime factorisation.

• Informative
Likes Delta2
PeroK said:
If the square root of a positive integer is not an integer, then it is irrational. It is never a proper rational number. This follows directly from unique prime factorisation.
Not so directly but yeah I think you mean the proof is kind of similar as to that the square root of 2 is irrational.

Ye kinda sketch the proof in my mind, it ends up that an integer would have two different prime factorizations unless the square root is irrational or the square root is integer.

Last edited:
Likes chwala
Delta2 said:
Not so directly but yeah I think you mean the proof is kind of similar as to that the square root of 2 is irrational.
I didn't mean that. The usual proof of the irrationality of the square root of 2 avoids using prime factorisation.

Likes chwala
PeroK said:
I didn't mean that. The usual proof of the irrationality of the square root of 2 avoids using prime factorisation.
Yeah but it can be done with prime factorization and I actually meant that it is a proof by contradiction where you assume that the square root is $$\frac{m}{n}$$ where m,n coprimes and then you end up with a contradiction. So it can be either n=1 or the square root is irrational.

Delta2 said:
Yeah but it can be done with prime factorization and I actually meant that it is a proof by contradiction where you assume that the square root is $$\frac{m}{n}$$ where m,n coprimes and then you end up with a contradiction. So it can be either n=1 or the square root is irrational.
The proof does not involve contradiction; and does not start by assuming that the square root of some integer is a proper rational.

Let ##\frac m n## be a proper rational in its lowest form (i.e. ##n \ne 1## and ##m, n## have no common factors (except 1), hence no primes factors in common). Then ##\frac {m^2}{n^2}## is a proper rational (##n^2 \ne 1## and ##m^2, n^2## have no common factors, as they have no primes factors in common.)

Therefore: The square of a proper rational is itself a proper rational.

Hence: the square root of an integer is never a proper rational.

Hence: any integer is either a perfect square or its square root is irrational.

• Informative
Likes chwala and Delta2
PeroK said:
The proof does not involve contradiction; and does not start by assuming that the square root of some integer is a proper rational.
Yes ok you can see it that way too, the way I had in mind it doesn't involve exactly a contradiction but a false conclusion, that ##m^2## will have two different prime factorizations.

PeroK said:
Let ##\frac m n## be a proper rational in its lowest form (i.e. ##n \ne 1## and ##m, n## have no common factors (except 1), hence no primes factors in common). Then ##\frac {m^2}{n^2}## is a proper rational (##n^2 \ne 1## and ##m^2, n^2## have no common factors, as they have no primes factors in common.)

Therefore: The square of a proper rational is itself a proper rational.

Hence: the square root of an integer is never a proper rational.

Hence: any integer is either a perfect square or its square root is irrational.
Euclid’s proof (which is quite common) is to assume that ##\sqrt{p} = a/b## with ##a## and ##b## being coprime. However, this leads to ##p## being a factor in both ##a## and ##b##, which is a contraction.

Likes Delta2
Orodruin said:
Euclid’s proof (which is quite common) is to assume that ##\sqrt{p} = a/b## with ##a## and ##b## being coprime. However, this leads to ##p## being a factor in both ##a## and ##b##, which is a contraction.
The heart of the Euclid proof is that if ##p = \dfrac{a^2}{b^2}##, then ##p## is a common factor of ##a## and ##b##. This uses the primeness of ##p##, which is ironically irrelevant, as ##b \ne 1## must have at least one prime factor.

If ##n = \dfrac{a^2}{b^2}##, then every prime that divides ##b## also divides ##a##. There is no need for ##n## to be prime. [There's only the trivial case where ##b = 1## and ##n## is a perfect square.]

1. How do I find an irrational number that satisfies a given inequality?

To find an irrational number that satisfies a given inequality, you can start by setting up the inequality with the irrational number on one side and a rational number on the other side. Then, manipulate the inequality to isolate the irrational number. This process may involve using algebraic operations to simplify the expression until you have an irrational number that satisfies the given inequality.

2. Can any irrational number satisfy a given inequality?

No, not every irrational number will satisfy a given inequality. The specific irrational number that satisfies the inequality will depend on the constraints provided in the inequality. It is important to carefully analyze the inequality and consider the properties of irrational numbers to determine which one will satisfy the given conditions.

3. Are there any general strategies for finding an irrational number that satisfies an inequality?

There are several strategies that can be helpful when trying to find an irrational number that satisfies a given inequality. One common approach is to manipulate the inequality using algebraic operations to isolate the irrational number. Another strategy is to consider the properties of irrational numbers, such as their non-repeating and non-terminating decimal expansions, to guide your search for a suitable solution.

4. How can I verify that the irrational number I found satisfies the given inequality?

To verify that the irrational number you found satisfies the given inequality, you can substitute the value of the irrational number back into the original inequality and check if the resulting expression holds true. If the inequality is satisfied when the irrational number is substituted in, then you have found a valid solution. If not, you may need to revisit your calculations and try a different approach.

5. Can irrational numbers be used to solve real-world problems involving inequalities?

Yes, irrational numbers can be used to solve real-world problems involving inequalities. In many practical scenarios, irrational numbers arise naturally as solutions to equations or inequalities. By understanding the properties of irrational numbers and how to manipulate them in mathematical expressions, you can effectively apply them to solve a wide range of real-world problems that involve inequalities.