Find an Item Stored in Memory: Assoc. Memory & Time Reduction

In summary: What this means is that you can keep track of a pointer to data without having to store the address of the data. This is done by using a hash code to create a unique identifier for the data. When you want to access the data at the identified location, you simply look up the hash code and use that to address the memory cell that stores the data. There is no need to read through the entire data memory to find the data.
prashantgolu
Time Required to find an item stored in memory can be reduced considerably if stored data can be identified for access by content of data rather than by an address

please explain me how...?

Technology news on Phys.org
prashantgolu said:
Time Required to find an item stored in memory can be reduced considerably if stored data can be identified for access by content of data rather than by an address

please explain me how...?

I may have understood you wrong but that clearly doesn't make sense. If you know where the data is stored (ie the address), it's only a few instructions to get a machine word of that data and feed it into a register.

The best computational way of getting the address of some bit of data given that you didn't know where it was stored would be to use a data structure that "points" to the data.

The absolute best case that I can think off the top of my head is a large-hash table with a hash algorithm that has a good collision property. If you don't have many items, it should have extremely good time [think O(1)] if your implementation is right.

If you didn't use any structures to keep track of anything and had to do a brute force search for data, you could do it since RAM is decent with regards to speed, but I just couldn't picture any programmer not using some kind of book keeping structure like a hash table or a binary tree or something along those lines to resolve pointers from some information like a pre-determined key.

Then what is the need of using associative memory...CAM...in that we search my content rather than address...

this is written in the topic "associative memory" in the computer system architecture book by mano

somebody explain how...

prashantgolu said:

this is written in the topic "associative memory" in the computer system architecture book by mano

somebody explain how...

I think perhaps you are not understanding the question itself, because it is worded in a nonsensical way, as chiro pointed out.

What it SHOULD say, to make sense, is something like this: The time required to find an item stored in memory can be much less if the data is stored in a content-addressable form rather than having to LOOK FOR THE ADDRESS each time.

That is, if you have data in a random table, the only way you can find something is to look all the way through the table. On the average, this means you'll look half way through the table for each search. If your table is a few million items long, that could REALLY take a while.

BUT ... if you store your data in a content-addressable way using a hash code, then all you need to do is apply the hash algorithm to the part of the data you have and you can go immediately to the rest ... this is a BIT of an oversimplification since I'm not accounting here for dealing with hash code collisions but as long as your table is reasonably sparse, that doesn't really add much to the time, and the time to do generate the hash code is likely to be on the order of the time it takes to do a few or a few dozen item searches ... WAAAY less that searching half of a several-million item table.

I cannot explain it more fully than that without giving a full tutorial on hash codes and associative arrays, and I think you should do some basic reading on these topics if you need further understanding.

A content addressable memory (fully associative) has one comparator for each memory cell. When a value is to be searched for within the content addressable memory, all of the memory cells are read and compared at the same time (in parallel), in one memory + one compare cycle, and then if there is a match, the address is returned based on which cell had the match.

In a normal search for a value in memory only one memory cell is read and compared at a time. In the simplest implementation, every cell in the memory would have to be read and compared one at a time until a match was found or all memory cells were read (and no match found).

In some situations, multiple matches are possible. The comparator outputs from the CAM go into an array of bits, and one of the matches will be converted into an address. This could be repeated to obtain a list of addresses if needed.

Last edited:
rcgldr said:
A content addressable memory (fully associative) has one comparator for each memory cell. When a value is to be searched for within the content addressable memory, all of the memory cells are read and compared at the same time (in parallel), in one memory + one compare cycle, and then if there is a match, the address is returned based on which cell had the match.

In a normal search for a value in memory only one memory cell is read and compared at a time. In the simplest implementation, every cell in the memory would have to be read and compared one at a time until a match was found or all memory cells were read (and no match found).

In some situations, multiple matches are possible. The comparator outputs from the CAM go into an array of bits, and one of the matches will be converted into an address. This could be repeated to obtain a list of addresses if needed.

OK, that's weird. I never heard of such a thing. Do they exist in the real world or is this just a math model? I mean, it's clear that they would work but I can't see anyone actually building one.

Thanks

rcgldr said:
A content addressable memory (fully associative) has one comparator for each memory cell.

phinds said:
I never heard of such a thing. Do they exist in the real world or is this just a math model?
Some older computers used a fully associative cache. In the computer tape peripheral industry, content addressable memories (fully associative) are used for the sliding window type (LZ1 / LZ77) compression schemes.

A fully associative memory is more often called a content addressable memory. This wiki link mentions a few devices that use CAMs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content-addressable_memory

1. How does association memory work in finding a stored item?

Association memory works by connecting and linking related items in the brain. When trying to find an item stored in memory, the brain searches for associations or connections that can lead to the retrieval of the desired item.

2. Can association memory help with time reduction in finding a stored item?

Yes, association memory can help with time reduction in finding a stored item. By utilizing associations, the brain can narrow down the search and retrieve the desired item more quickly, saving time and effort.

3. What are some techniques to improve association memory for finding stored items?

Some techniques to improve association memory include creating vivid mental images, using mnemonic devices, and practicing retrieval of information through repetition and review.

4. How does time affect the retrieval of stored items in memory?

Time can affect the retrieval of stored items in memory in several ways. Forgetting can occur over time, making it harder to retrieve the desired item. However, with proper encoding and storage techniques, time can also strengthen the association memory and make it easier to find the stored item.

5. Can external cues or triggers aid in the retrieval of stored items in memory?

Yes, external cues or triggers can aid in the retrieval of stored items in memory. These cues can be anything from smells, sounds, or objects that are associated with the stored item and can help trigger the memory and make it easier to retrieve the desired item.