Find Area of A Rectangle With Shortcut

In summary, the shortcut for finding the area of a rectangle is multiplying the length by the width. The length is typically the longer side, while the width is the shorter side, but it depends on the orientation of the rectangle. This shortcut only applies to rectangles, so different formulas must be used for other shapes. The units used for the length and width should be the same, and if they are decimals or fractions, they can be converted to whole numbers or calculated with a calculator. It is important to be consistent with units when calculating area.
susanto3311
hi all...

how do you find area of a rectangle, if its perimeter of a rectangle is = 72 cm?

i mean how to easy find it without hard work.

do you have a formula or just tricks similar like..

http://calculus-geometry.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Find-the-Area-Perimeter-and-Diagonal-of-a-Rectangle

thanks in advance...

susanto

Mathematics news on Phys.org
For a given perimeter, there are an infinite number of rectangles that will have that perimeter. We need more information about the rectangle.

MarkFL said:
For a given perimeter, there are an infinite number of rectangles that will have that perimeter. We need more information about the rectangle.

if perimeter of a rectangle is = 72 cm, counting area of a rectangle =...

i need simple formula to calculate it.
possible?

Well, suppose we let the height $0<h<36$ be a free variable, then the base $b$ is $b=36-h$. Thus the area $A$ is:

\(\displaystyle A=bh=(36-h)h\)

Thus we find:

\(\displaystyle 0<A\le324\)

The sum of the base and the height must be equal to the semi-perimeter, which is 36...half of 72. And the maximum area comes from the base and height being equal. So the upper bound is $18^2=324$.

1. What is the shortcut for finding the area of a rectangle?

The shortcut for finding the area of a rectangle is multiplying the length by the width.

2. How do I know which side is the length and which side is the width?

The length of a rectangle is typically the longer side, while the width is the shorter side. However, it ultimately depends on how the rectangle is positioned.

3. Can I use the shortcut for finding the area of a rectangle with any shape?

No, the shortcut only applies to rectangles. For other shapes, different formulas are used to calculate the area.

4. Is there a specific unit of measurement that should be used for the length and width?

The units used for the length and width should be the same, such as inches, feet, or meters. It is important to be consistent with units when calculating area.

5. What should I do if the length or width of the rectangle is a decimal or fraction?

If the length or width is a decimal or fraction, you can still use the shortcut by converting the decimal or fraction to a whole number, or you can use a calculator to find the decimal or fractional answer.