Find Capacitance for Camera Flash Unit

In summary, the flash unit in a camera uses a special circuit to charge a capacitor to 300 V, which is then discharged through a flashlamp in 12 μs with an average power dissipation of 12 W. Using the equations for energy and energy stored in a capacitor, the capacitance of the capacitor can be found to be 3.2*10-9 F. However, on the website www.masteringphysics.com, this answer may be marked as incorrect due to the assumption that the capacitor completely discharges, resulting in a V value of 0.
SimonZ

Homework Statement

The flash unit in a camera uses a special circuit to “step up” the V = 3.1 V from the batteries to V' = 300 V, which charges a capacitor The capacitor is then discharged through a flashlamp. The discharge takes t = 12 μs, and the average power dissipated in the flashlamp is P = 12 W. What is the capacitance of the capacitor?

Homework Equations

Energy = power * time
energy stored in a capacitor = CV2/2

The Attempt at a Solution

Energy dissipated by the flashlamp = Pt
This energy comes from the decreasing energy stored in the capacitor = CV’2/2 – CV2/2
so Pt = CV’2/2 – CV2/2
then
C = 2Pt/(V’2 – V2) = 3.2*10-9 F

Anything wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your basic reasoning appears to be sound.

but the website says ir is incorrect!
I don't know why.

What's "ir"? I thought you were finding the capacitance.

Anyways, if the capacitor completely discharges (which it does), then in your equation:

CV’2/2 – CV2/2

V would be zero, not the battery's voltage.

ideasrule said:
What's "ir"? I thought you were finding the capacitance.

Anyways, if the capacitor completely discharges (which it does), then in your equation:

CV’2/2 – CV2/2

V would be zero, not the battery's voltage.

The question is on www.masteringphysics.com
You're right, V = 0, but it won't affect the numerical result (only 2 significant figures needed).

1. What is capacitance and how does it relate to camera flash units?

Capacitance is the ability of a material or device to store electrical energy. In camera flash units, capacitance is necessary to provide a sudden burst of energy to power the flash. This stored energy is then released quickly to produce a bright flash of light.

2. How do I calculate the capacitance needed for my camera flash unit?

To calculate the capacitance needed for your camera flash unit, you will need to know the voltage and energy requirements of your flash. The formula for capacitance is C = Q/V, where C is capacitance, Q is the amount of charge needed, and V is the voltage. You can also use an online capacitance calculator to determine the value.

3. Can I use any type of capacitor for my camera flash unit?

No, it is important to use a capacitor specifically designed for camera flash units. These capacitors are able to handle the high voltages and quick discharge rates required for flashes. Using the wrong type of capacitor can damage your flash unit or cause it to malfunction.

4. How do I know if my camera flash unit's capacitor is faulty?

If your flash unit is not working properly or not producing enough light, it could be due to a faulty capacitor. You can test the capacitor using a multimeter, or have it tested by a professional. If it is found to be faulty, it will need to be replaced in order for your flash unit to function properly.

5. What are some common factors that affect the capacitance of a camera flash unit?

The capacitance of a camera flash unit can be affected by factors such as temperature, humidity, and age of the flash unit. Extreme temperatures can cause the capacitor to fail or reduce its capacitance. High humidity can also affect the performance of the capacitor. Additionally, as the flash unit ages, the capacitor may lose its ability to hold a charge effectively, resulting in diminished flash power.