Find Coeff. of Static Friction of Car on Track

In summary, the conversation discusses a car travelling on a circular track with a radius of 5m and a tangential acceleration of 1.7m/s^2. The car skids off the track after travelling 0.2 of the way around. The question is to determine the coefficient of static friction between the car and the track, using the equations Fc=V^2m/r and F=ma. The attempted solution involves using the equation V^2=2ax, and results in a coefficient of 0.436. However, the online homework system marks it wrong and suggests looking for another solution.
wmrunner24

Homework Statement

A car traveling on a flat circular track of radius 5m accelerates uniformly from rest with a tangential acceleration of 1.7m/s^2. The car makes it 0.2 of the way around the track before skidding off. Acceleration of gravity=9.8m/s^s.
What is the coefficient of static friction between the car and the track?

Homework Equations

Fc=V^2m/r
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried this:
Fc=Ff
V^2m/r=[tex]\mu[/tex]mg
v^2/gr=[tex]\mu[/tex]

To determine the velocity at which the car slips, I said V^2=2ax, where x is 2[tex]\pi[/tex]r/5.

So I get 4[tex]\pi[/tex]a/5g=[tex]\mu[/tex]

It's not correct. Why is that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nice solution. I get 0.436, but I'm prone to calculation errors.

The online homework system marks it wrong. I can't explain it. Is there another way to do this?

Related to Find Coeff. of Static Friction of Car on Track

1. What is the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is a measurement of the amount of force required to overcome the static friction between two surfaces. It is a unitless value that ranges from 0 to 1, with higher values indicating a stronger frictional force.

2. How is the coefficient of static friction calculated?

The coefficient of static friction can be calculated by dividing the maximum frictional force that can be applied to an object before it starts moving by the normal force between the two surfaces. The normal force is equal to the weight of the object in most cases.

3. Why is it important to find the coefficient of static friction for a car on a track?

Knowing the coefficient of static friction for a car on a track is important for ensuring the safety and stability of the car. It helps determine the maximum speed at which a car can safely travel on the track without slipping or losing control.

4. What factors can affect the coefficient of static friction for a car on a track?

The coefficient of static friction can be affected by several factors, including the type of surface the car is driving on, the weight and distribution of weight of the car, and the condition of the tires and track surface.

5. How can the coefficient of static friction be measured for a car on a track?

The coefficient of static friction can be measured by conducting experiments where the car is driven on the track at different speeds and the force required to keep the car from slipping is measured. This data can then be used to calculate the coefficient of static friction using the formula mentioned in question 2.