Find cosine series: Period 4 for f(x)

In summary: Thinking)Either way, we can arbitrarily extend the function to be defined in every point, but it won't have any effect on the integral.The definition of the cosine series here only requires that the function is integrable, but doesn't say which integral.Anyway, since it simply does not matter for the end result, there is little point in worrying about it.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello!

I want to find the Fourier series for the given function $f$:

$f(x)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
1, & 0<x<1,\\
0, & 1<x<2
\end{matrix}\right.$

-> cosine series, period 4

I also want to find the graph of the function to which the series converges , for three periods and then make some comparisons with 2 other examples.In order to find the cosine Fourier series, do we have to find the even extension of $f$? If so, will this be equal to $0$ for $-1<x<0$ and to $1$ for $-2<x<-1$ ?

But then the extension wouldn't be $4$-periodic? Would it? (Worried)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey evinda! (Smile)

evinda said:
In order to find the cosine Fourier series, do we have to find the even extension of $f$?

Yes.

evinda said:
If so, will this be equal to $0$ for $-1<x<0$ and to $1$ for $-2<x<-1$ ?

The even extension should have $f(x)=f(-x)$.
Would that be the case? (Wondering)

evinda said:
But then the extension wouldn't be $4$-periodic? Would it?

To be $4$-periodic, we should also extend the function so that $f(x+4)=f(x)$ for all $x\in \mathbb R$. (Thinking)

The following function is the even extension of $f$, isn't it?

$g(x)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
1 & , 0<x<1\\
0 & ,1 <x<2\\
1 & , -1<x<0\\
0 & , -2<x<1
\end{matrix}\right.$

Do we include the points $0,1$ and $1,2$ at the interval at which $g$ is defined?

evinda said:
The following function is the even extension of $f$, isn't it?

$g(x)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
1 & , 0<x<1\\
0 & ,1 <x<2\\
1 & , -1<x<0\\
0 & , -2<x<1
\end{matrix}\right.$

Yep.

evinda said:
Do we include the points $0,1$ and $1,2$ at the interval at which $g$ is defined?

Do we have to?
Let's not and see what happens. (Smirk)

I like Serena said:
Do we have to?
Let's not and see what happens. (Smirk)

Ok... The coefficients of the cosine Fourier series are given by the following formulas:

$$a_n=\frac{2}{L} \int_0^L f(x) \cos{\frac{n \pi x}{L}} dx, n=0,1,2, \dots \\ b_n=0, n=1,2, \dots$$

So in our case $a_0= \int_0^2 g(x) dx=1$ and $a_n=\int_0^2 g(x) \cos{\frac{n \pi x}{2}} dx=\int_0^1 \cos{\frac{n \pi x}{2}} dx=\frac{2}{n \pi} \sin{\frac{n \pi }{2}}$.

So the Fourier series is of the following form, right?

$$f(x)=\frac{1}{2}+ \frac{2}{\pi} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\sin{\frac{n \pi }{2}}}{n} $$

evinda said:
Ok... The coefficients of the cosine Fourier series are given by the following formulas:

$$a_n=\frac{2}{L} \int_0^L f(x) \cos{\frac{n \pi x}{L}} dx, n=0,1,2, \dots \\ b_n=0, n=1,2, \dots$$

Since we have a couple of undefined points, is this integral well defined? (Wondering)

evinda said:
So in our case $a_0= \int_0^2 g(x) dx=1$ and $a_n=\int_0^2 g(x) \cos{\frac{n \pi x}{2}} dx=\int_0^1 \cos{\frac{n \pi x}{2}} dx=\frac{2}{n \pi} \sin{\frac{n \pi }{2}}$.

So the Fourier series is of the following form, right?

$$f(x)=\frac{1}{2}+ \frac{2}{\pi} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\sin{\frac{n \pi }{2}}}{n} $$

What happened to $x$ in the right hand side? (Worried)

I like Serena said:
Since we have a couple of undefined points, is this integral well defined? (Wondering)

I thought so since the integral doesn't depend on each point seperately. Am I wrong?

I like Serena said:
What happened to $x$ in the right hand side? (Worried)

Oh sorry, I meant $g(x)=\frac{1}{2}+\frac{2}{ \pi}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\sin{\frac{n \pi}{2}}}{n} \sin{\frac{n \pi x}{2}}$.

Is this right? (Thinking)

evinda said:
I thought so since the integral doesn't depend on each point seperately. Am I wrong?

That depends on which integral we use.
The Riemann integral is defined for a function on the whole closed interval, but the Rieman-Stieltjes integral does not seem to have that limitation. The Lesbesgue integral certainly doesn't.
Either way, we can arbitrarily extend the function to be defined in every point, but it won't have any effect on the integral.
The definition of the cosine series here only requires that the function is integrable, but doesn't say which integral.
Anyway, since it simply does not matter for the end result, there is little point in worrying about it.

evinda said:
Oh sorry, I meant $g(x)=\frac{1}{2}+\frac{2}{ \pi}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\sin{\frac{n \pi}{2}}}{n} \sin{\frac{n \pi x}{2}}$.

Weren't we creating a cosine series? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
That depends on which integral we use.
The Riemann integral is defined for a function on the whole closed interval, but the Rieman-Stieltjes integral does not seem to have that limitation. The Lesbesgue integral certainly doesn't.
Either way, we can arbitrarily extend the function to be defined in every point, but it won't have any effect on the integral.
The definition of the cosine series here only requires that the function is integrable, but doesn't say which integral.
Anyway, since it simply does not matter for the end result, there is little point in worrying about it.

Neither in the notes I am reading it says which integral we use... (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Weren't we creating a cosine series? (Wondering)
Oh sorry, again a typo... (Tmi)

I meant that we get this:

$$g(x)=\frac{1}{2}+\frac{2}{ \pi}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\sin{\frac{n \pi}{2}}}{n} \cos{\frac{n \pi x}{2}}$$

evinda said:
I meant that we get this:

$$g(x)=\frac{1}{2}+\frac{2}{ \pi}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\sin{\frac{n \pi}{2}}}{n} \cos{\frac{n \pi x}{2}}$$

Yep. (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Yep. (Nod)

And we get that $g(x)=\frac{1}{2}+\frac{2}{\pi} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{\frac{n-1}{2}}}{2n-1} \cos{\frac{(2n-1) \pi x}{2}}$. Right?

I saw at the solutions that it stands $f(x)=\frac{1}{2}+ \frac{2}{\pi}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n-1}}{2n-1} \cos{\frac{(2n-1) \pi x}{2}} $. Isn't the power of $-1$ wrong? (Thinking)

Last edited:
evinda said:
And we get that $g(x)=\frac{1}{2}+\frac{2}{\pi} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{\frac{n-1}{2}}}{2n-1} \cos{\frac{(2n-1) \pi x}{2}}$. Right?

I saw at the solutions that it stands $f(x)=\frac{1}{2}+ \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n-1}}{2n-1} \cos{\frac{(2n-1) \pi x}{2}} $. Isn't the power of $-1$ wrong? (Thinking)

Let's take a look at the first couple of terms in both cases... (Thinking)

\begin{aligned}\frac{1}{2}+\frac{2}{\pi} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{\frac{n-1}{2}}}{2n-1} \cos{\frac{(2n-1) \pi x}{2}}
&= \frac 12 + \frac 2\pi \left(
\frac{(-1)^{\frac{1-1}{2}}}{2\cdot 1-1} \cos{\frac{(2\cdot 1-1) \pi x}{2}}
+ \frac{(-1)^{\frac{2-1}{2}}}{2\cdot 2-1} \cos{\frac{(2\cdot 2-1) \pi x}{2}} + ... \right) \\
\cos{\frac{\pi x}{2}}
+ \frac{\sqrt{-1}}{3} \cos{\frac{3 \pi x}{2}} + ... \right)
\end{aligned}
That can't be right can it? (Wondering)
We shouldn't have imaginary numbers in there.
And shouldn't the $\cos$ occurrences be of the form $\cos(k\pi x)$ with $k$ an integer?

\begin{aligned}\frac{1}{2}+ \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n-1}}{2n-1} \cos{\frac{(2n-1) \pi x}{2}}
&= \frac 12 + \left( \frac{(-1)^{1-1}}{2\cdot 1-1} \cos{\frac{(2\cdot 1-1) \pi x}{2}}
+ \frac{(-1)^{2-1}}{2\cdot 2-1} \cos{\frac{(2\cdot 2-1) \pi x}{2}} + ... \right) \\
&= \frac 12 + \left( \cos{\frac{\pi x}{2}}
- \frac 13 \cos{\frac{3 \pi x}{2}} + ... \right)
\end{aligned}
At least the coefficients are real, but this doesn't look right either.
The $\cos$ occurrences are not of the form $\cos(k\pi x)$ with $k$ an integer. (Worried)

I like Serena said:
Let's take a look at the first couple of terms in both cases... (Thinking)

\begin{aligned}\frac{1}{2}+\frac{2}{\pi} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{\frac{n-1}{2}}}{2n-1} \cos{\frac{(2n-1) \pi x}{2}}
\frac{(-1)^{\frac{1-1}{2}}}{2\cdot 1-1} \cos{\frac{(2\cdot 1-1) \pi x}{2}}
+ \frac{(-1)^{\frac{2-1}{2}}}{2\cdot 2-1} \cos{\frac{(2\cdot 2-1) \pi x}{2}} + ... \right) \\
\cos{\frac{\pi x}{2}}
+ \frac{\sqrt{-1}}{3} \cos{\frac{3 \pi x}{2}} + ... \right)
\end{aligned}
That can't be right can it? (Wondering)
We shouldn't have imaginary numbers in there.
And shouldn't the $\cos$ occurrences be of the form $\cos(k\pi x)$ with $k$ an integer?

\begin{aligned}\frac{1}{2}+ \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n-1}}{2n-1} \cos{\frac{(2n-1) \pi x}{2}}
&= \frac 12 + \left( \frac{(-1)^{1-1}}{2\cdot 1-1} \cos{\frac{(2\cdot 1-1) \pi x}{2}}
+ \frac{(-1)^{2-1}}{2\cdot 2-1} \cos{\frac{(2\cdot 2-1) \pi x}{2}} + ... \right) \\
&= \frac 12 + \left( \cos{\frac{\pi x}{2}}
- \frac 13 \cos{\frac{3 \pi x}{2}} + ... \right)
\end{aligned}
At least the coefficients are real, but this doesn't look right either.
The $\cos$ occurrences are not of the form $\cos(k\pi x)$ with $k$ an integer. (Worried)

It says that the solution is $f(x)=\frac{1}{2}+\frac{2}{\pi} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n-1}}{2n-1} \cos{\frac{(2n-1) \pi x}{2}}$... (Blush)

But how do we get the $(-1)^{n-1}$ ?

The $\cos$ occurences should be of the form $\cos{\frac{n \pi x}{L}}$ where $L$ is $2$ in this case. Or not? (Thinking)

Ah it is as follows:$$g(x)=\frac{1}{2}+\frac{2}{ \pi}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\sin{\frac{n \pi}{2}}}{n} \cos{\frac{n \pi x}{2}}$$

If $n$ is even, then $\sin{\frac{n \pi}{2}}=0$.

If $n$ is odd then $n=2k-1$ for some $k \in \mathbb{Z}$.

Then $\sin{\frac{n \pi}{2}}=\sin{\frac{(2k-1)\pi}{2}}=\sin{\left(k \pi-\frac{\pi}{2}\right)}=\sin{k \pi} \cos(-\frac{\pi}{2})+\cos{k \pi} \sin{\left(-\frac{\pi}{2}\right)}=-\cos{k \pi}=(-1)^{k-1}$.

So, $g(x)=\frac{1}{2}+\frac{2}{ \pi}\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} (-1)^{k-1} \frac{1}{2k-1} \cos{\frac{(2k-1) \pi x}{2}}$The graph of the function to which the Fourier series converges is the following, right?View attachment 6579

Attachments

• 18317970_1473773312677993_606023219_o.png
    18317970_1473773312677993_606023219_o.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 53
Yep. All correct. (Nod)

Nice... And I should also make comparisons with the following two problems:

1. Let $f(x)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
0 & , -L <x<0,\\
L & ,0<x<L
\end{matrix}\right.$, and suppose that $f$ is defined at the external of this interval so that $f(x+2L)=f(x)$ for each $x$. Then the Fourier series of $f$ is $f(x)=\frac{L}{2}+ \frac{2L}{ \pi} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\sin{\left( (2n-1) \frac{\pi x}{L}\right)}}{2n-1}$.

and

2. Find the Fourier series of the extended function $f(x)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
0 & , - \pi \leq x<-\frac{\pi}{2},\\
1 & , -\frac{\pi}{2} \leq x< \frac{\pi}{2}\\
0 & , \frac{\pi}{2} \leq x< \pi
\end{matrix}\right.$

I have found that the Fourier series is the following:

$f(x)=\frac{1}{2}+ \frac{2}{ \pi} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2n-1} (-1)^{n-1} \cos{(2n-1)x}$.What observations could we make? (Thinking)

Can we graph them? (Wondering)

The formulas are very similar, (1) with a sine instead of a cosine, and no alternating $-1$.
And (2) with only a different factor inside the $\cos$.
The graph for (1) looks pretty different though, and for (2) the effect is a scaling along the x-axis.

What is a cosine series?

A cosine series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function using a series of cosine terms. It is often used to approximate functions that have a repeating pattern.

How do you find the cosine series for a period 4 function?

To find the cosine series for a period 4 function, you would first need to determine the coefficients for each cosine term. This can be done by using the Fourier series formula and solving for the coefficients using integrals. Then, you would plug in the coefficients into the general form of a cosine series, which is a sum of cosine terms with different frequencies and amplitudes.

What is the period of a cosine series?

The period of a cosine series is the length of the repeating pattern in the function it represents. In this case, the period is 4 because the function repeats itself every 4 units.

Why is cosine used in a series representation?

Cosine is commonly used in a series representation because it is a periodic function and has a simple and well-defined relationship with other trigonometric functions. This makes it easier to manipulate and approximate using series methods.

What are some applications of cosine series?

Cosine series have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing. They can be used to model periodic phenomena such as sound waves and electrical signals, as well as in data compression and signal filtering.