Sine fourier series with period 1

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Fourier series of $f(x)=x, 0 \leq x<1$ with a period of 1. They address the odd extension of the function and use the formulas $a_n=0$ and $b_n=\frac{2}{L}\int_0^L f(x)\sin{\frac{n \pi x}{L}} dx$. They then discuss the graphs of the odd extensions and how they can be used to find the Fourier series. They also mention shifting the function by $\frac{1}{2}$ and how it can still be used to find the Fourier series. Finally, they discuss finding the coefficients $a_n$ and $b_n$ and how they
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I want to find the Fourier series of $f(x)=x, 0 \leq x<1$. It is a series with period $1$.

In our case, the function is odd. So in order to find the Fourier series, we would find the odd extension of $f$ and then use the following formulas:

$a_n=0 , \ \ \forall n \geq 0$

$b_n=\frac{2}{L} \int_0^L f(x) \sin{\frac{n \pi x}{L}} dx$And then the Fourier series is this: $f(x)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} b_n \sin{\frac{n \pi x}{L}}$.

But in our case , the period should be $1$ and so $L$ is equal to $\frac{1}{2}$.

But how can we then define the extension of $f$ ? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey evinda! (Smile)

We can only make it odd with period 1 if we subtract $\frac 12$.
That is:
$$g(x)=\begin{cases} x-\frac 12, & 0 < x < \frac 12 \\ x + \frac 12, & -\frac 12 \le x < 0\end{cases}$$

It would still be the same function, just shifted.

I like Serena said:
Hey evinda! (Smile)

We can only make it odd with period 1 if we subtract $\frac 12$.
That is:
$$g(x)=\begin{cases} x-\frac 12, & 0 < x < \frac 12 \\ x + \frac 12, & -\frac 12 \le x < 0\end{cases}$$

It would still be the same function, just shifted.

And then if we add $\frac{1}{2}$ to the Fourier series that we will get, will we get the Fourier series for $f$ ? If so, why does this hold? (Thinking)

evinda said:
And then if we add $\frac{1}{2}$ to the Fourier series that we will get, will we get the Fourier series for $f$ ? If so, why does this hold? (Thinking)

Let's take a look at the graphs:

\begin{tikzpicture}[scale=2]
\draw[help lines] (-2,-1) grid (4,1);
\draw[<->] (-2.4,0) -- (4.4,0) node[above] {$x$-axis};
\draw[<->] (0,-1.2) -- (0,1.2) node
{$y$-axis};
\draw foreach \i in {-2,...,4} { (\i,0.1) -- (\i,-0.1) node[below] {$\i$} };
\draw foreach \i in {-1,...,1} { (0.1,\i) -- (-0.1,\i) node
{$\i$} };
\draw[blue, ultra thick] foreach \i in {-1,...,3} { (\i,0) -- ({\i+1},1) } node
{$f(x)$};
\end{tikzpicture}
{$y$-axis};
{$\i$} };
\draw[red, ultra thick] foreach \i in {-1,...,3} { (\i,-0.5) -- ({\i+1},0.5) } node
{$f(x)-\frac 12$};
\end{tikzpicture}
We can actually also pick this one:
{$y$-axis};
{$\i$} };
\draw[green!70!black, ultra thick] foreach \i in {-1.5,...,2.5} { (\i,-0.5) -- ({\i+1},0.5) } node
{$f(x+\frac 12)-\frac 12$};
\end{tikzpicture}

Don't they really all look the same?
Both the red and the green ones are odd with period 1, so that we can make odd Fourier series for them.
Shift them a bit, and they are identical to the blue one.​

I see... I found that $a_n=0 \forall n \geq 0$ and $b_n=\frac{\cos{n \pi}-8 \pi \cos{n \pi}-1}{4 n \pi}$.

Am I right? The solution should be $\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{\pi} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\sin{2 n \pi x}}{n}$... (Worried)

evinda said:
I see... I found that $a_n=0 \forall n \geq 0$ and $b_n=\frac{\cos{n \pi}-8 \pi \cos{n \pi}-1}{4 n \pi}$.

Am I right? The solution should be $\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{\pi} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\sin{2 n \pi x}}{n}$... (Worried)

Let's see...

\begin{aligned}b_n &= \frac 2L \int_0^L \Big(f(x)-\frac 12\Big)\sin\left(\frac{n \pi x}{L}\right)\,dx \\
&= 4 \int_0^{1/2} \Big(x-\frac 12\Big)\sin(2n \pi x)\,dx \\
&= \int_0^{1/2} 4x\sin(2n \pi x)\,dx - \int_0^{1/2} 2\sin(2n \pi x)\,dx \\
&= \int_0^{1/2} \frac{-4x}{2n\pi}\,d(\cos(2n \pi x)) - \frac{-2\cos(2n\pi x)}{2\pi n} \Big|_0^{1/2}\\
&= \frac{-4x}{2n\pi}\cos(2n \pi x) \Big|_0^{1/2} - \int_0^{1/2} \frac{-4}{2n\pi}\cos(2n \pi x)\,dx + \frac{\cos(2n\pi x)}{\pi n}\Big|_0^{1/2} \\
&= \frac{-2x}{n\pi}\cos(2n \pi x) \Big|_0^{1/2} + \frac{\sin(2n \pi x)}{n^2\pi^2}\Big|_0^{1/2} + \frac{\cos(2n\pi x)}{\pi n}\Big|_0^{1/2} \\
&= \frac{(1-2x)\cos(2n \pi x)}{n\pi}\Big|_0^{1/2} + \frac{\sin(2n \pi x)}{n^2\pi^2}\Big|_0^{1/2} \\
&= (0-\frac{1}{n\pi}) + (0-0) \\
&= -\frac{1}{n\pi}
\end{aligned}

So:
$$f(x)-\frac 12 = \sum_{n=1}^\infty -\frac{1}{n\pi} \sin(2n\pi x)$$
(Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Let's see...

\begin{aligned}b_n &= \frac 2L \int_0^L \Big(f(x)-\frac 12\Big)\sin\left(\frac{n \pi x}{L}\right)\,dx \\
&= 4 \int_0^{1/2} \Big(x-\frac 12\Big)\sin(2n \pi x)\,dx \\
&= \int_0^{1/2} 4x\sin(2n \pi x)\,dx - \int_0^{1/2} 2\sin(2n \pi x)\,dx \\
&= \int_0^{1/2} \frac{-4x}{2n\pi}\,d(\cos(2n \pi x)) - \frac{-2\cos(2n\pi x)}{2\pi n} \Big|_0^{1/2}\\
&= \frac{-4x}{2n\pi}\cos(2n \pi x) \Big|_0^{1/2} - \int_0^{1/2} \frac{-4}{2n\pi}\cos(2n \pi x)\,dx + \frac{\cos(2n\pi x)}{\pi n}\Big|_0^{1/2} \\
&= \frac{-2x}{n\pi}\cos(2n \pi x) \Big|_0^{1/2} + \frac{\sin(2n \pi x)}{n^2\pi^2}\Big|_0^{1/2} + \frac{\cos(2n\pi x)}{\pi n}\Big|_0^{1/2} \\
&= \frac{(1-2x)\cos(2n \pi x)}{n\pi}\Big|_0^{1/2} + \frac{\sin(2n \pi x)}{n^2\pi^2}\Big|_0^{1/2} \\
&= (0-\frac{1}{n\pi}) + (0-0) \\
&= -\frac{1}{n\pi}
\end{aligned}

So:
$$f(x)-\frac 12 = \sum_{n=1}^\infty -\frac{1}{n\pi} \sin(2n\pi x)$$
(Thinking)

Nice... Thank you! (Yes)

What is a sine Fourier series with period 1?

A sine Fourier series with period 1 is a mathematical representation of a periodic function using sine waves with a period of 1. It is used to break down a complex function into simpler components and is often used in signal processing and engineering.

How is a sine Fourier series with period 1 calculated?

A sine Fourier series with period 1 is calculated using the Fourier series formula, which involves finding the coefficients of the sine waves that make up the function. These coefficients are found by integrating the function over its period and dividing by the period.

What is the significance of the period 1 in a sine Fourier series?

The period 1 in a sine Fourier series indicates that the function being represented is periodic with a period of 1. This means that the function repeats itself every 1 unit, and the sine waves used in the series will also have a frequency of 1.

Can a sine Fourier series with period 1 represent any type of function?

No, a sine Fourier series with period 1 can only represent periodic functions. If the function is not periodic, the series will not accurately represent it.

How is a sine Fourier series with period 1 used in real-world applications?

A sine Fourier series with period 1 is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and signal processing to analyze and manipulate periodic signals. It is also used in image and sound processing to compress and decompress data.