Find dialectric constant in a capacitator

• Thread starter romakarol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary, the conversation discusses a parallel plate capacitor with a capacitance of 1.5µF and a potential difference of 5.0V when a dielectric is placed between the plates. The formula q=CV is used to determine the dielectric constant of the material, and it is found to be 2.4. The conversation also mentions another relevant formula, k=E0/E, where E0 is a constant. The conversation ends with the conclusion that the units in the formula ultimately cancel out, and the dielectric constant is determined to be 2.4.
romakarol

Homework Statement

A parallel plate capacitor has a capacitance of 1.5µF with air between the plates. The capacitor is connected a 12V battery and charged. The battery is then removed. When a dielectric is placed between the plates, a potential difference of 5.0V is measured across the plates. What is the dielectric constant of the material?

Homework Equations

not sure on this, possible culprits are:
q=CV
where as far as I understand q is magnitutde of charge on each plate
c is capacitance
and v is voltage

k=E0/E
This is the only formula in our notes that doesn't involve plate area and distance between plates, which isn't given in the question. What E0 and E are isn't explained though which is causing me no end of confusion

Is it fair to say V=12 in this question and C=1.5(10^-6)?

3. The attempt at an answer

I tried googling the question and funilly enough it came up here before. The OP was equally clueless and the advice given was:
a dielectric will increase the capacitance but charge on the the plates will be same. Can you write an equation with this information and find the new capacitance? Comparing the two capacitances, you can calculate the dielectric constant of the new capacitor.

It's late at night so can someone please just tell me what the E0/E formula means and what formulae are relevant to the question? I asked around but the question is "sorcery" to everyone I know. Is the formula I attached below relevant? It is dependant on both capacitance and dialectric constant which makes it seem relevant but it invovles variables not given in the question (distance and area).

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-26_0-52-55.png
    upload_2016-2-26_0-52-55.png
    53.1 KB · Views: 428
Physics news on Phys.org
The formula attached is correct. It tells you that the capacitance will increase k times when you insert a dielectric of dielectric constant k. But final charge on the capacitor doesn't change after insertion of dielectric. Q=CV will be useful here.

Likes berkeman
cnh1995 said:
The formula attached is correct. It tells you that the capacitance will increase k times when you insert a dielectric of dielectric constant k. But final charge on the capacitor doesn't change after insertion of dielectric. Q=CV will be useful here.
How can the attached formula be used without knowing either k (dialectric constant) or A (area of the plate)? Also in an example the 3o is 8.85X10^-12, is this a constant?

romakarol said:
How can the attached formula be used without knowing either k (dialectric constant) or A (area of the palte)? Also in an example the 3o is 8.85X10^-12, is this a constant?
That formula can't be used directly. It only tells you that capacitance increases k times.
romakarol said:
Also in an example the 3o is 8.85X10^-12, is this a constant?
Yes it's a constant. But all you need is Q=CV, Q being same in both the cases.

Likes romakarol
cnh1995 said:
That formula can't be used directly. It only tells you that capacitance increases k times.

Cheers that's something I may be able to work with I'll get cracking.

cnh1995 said:

So you mentioned in the other post that there are two formulas, and q is the same in both. What I didnt realize originally is that the 5V potential difference in the question is simply voltage (at least i think it is) so as I gather there are 2 equations:
q=CV
q=(12)(1.5X10^-6)
q=1.8X10^-5C
and
q=CV
q=(5)(1.5X10^-6)
q=7.5X10^-6C

But since you said q is the same in both, I'm guessing k is figured out by setting the second equation equal to the value of the first one:

(5)(1.5X10^-6) =/= 1.8X10^5C
Presumably k slots in here somewhere to make it equal? I don't know the relationship k has to C however, if this is right can you tell me where k goes in the equation?

Can anyone help me finish this off? I want my sleep.

romakarol said:
q=CV
q=(12)(1.5X10^-6)
q=1.8X10^-5C
and
q=CV
q=(5)(1.5X10^-6)
q=7.5X10^-6C
When voltage is 5V, capacitance is no longer 1.5uF.
So,
12*1.5=5*Cnew.
Find Cnew and take ratio of Cnew with Cold to get k.

cnh1995 said:
When voltage is 5V, capacitance is no longer 1.5uF.
So,
12*1.5=5*Cnew.
Find Cnew and take ratio of Cnew with Cold to get k.

Thanks I think I have it:
But why are you using just 1.5 as the old capacitance, isn't it 1.5x10^-6 as given in the question. Is the constant the 1.5 is being multiplied by being ignored for some reason?

Taking it as 1.5 however:
Cnew=[(12*1.5)/5]
Cnew=3.6

k=3.6 : 1.5
k=1 : 2.4

romakarol said:
But why are you using just 1.5 as the old capacitance, isn't it 1.5x10^-6 as given in the question.
It is in farads. I wrote directly in microfarads. But it doesn't matter because ultimately the units are going to cancel out.

Likes romakarol
romakarol said:
k=1 : 2.4
It should be 2.4:1...k=2.4

Likes romakarol
cnh1995 said:
It is in farads. I wrote directly in microfarads. But it doesn't matter because ultimately the units are going ti cancel out.
Right thanks for all the help, only took till 2:30AM to get the right answer :D. Totally worth it.

romakarol said:
Right thanks for all the help, only took till 2:30AM to get the right answer :D. Totally worth it.
You're welcome..have a good night!

1. What is a dielectric constant?

The dielectric constant, also known as the relative permittivity, is a measure of how well a material can store electrical energy as compared to a vacuum. It is a dimensionless quantity that is typically greater than 1.

2. How is the dielectric constant related to capacitance?

The dielectric constant plays a crucial role in determining the capacitance of a capacitor. It is directly proportional to the capacitance, meaning that a higher dielectric constant will result in a higher capacitance value.

3. How do you find the dielectric constant in a capacitor?

The dielectric constant can be found by dividing the capacitance of the capacitor with a dielectric material by the capacitance of the same capacitor with a vacuum as the dielectric. This ratio is also known as the relative permittivity.

4. What factors can affect the dielectric constant in a capacitor?

The dielectric constant can be affected by various factors, including the type of dielectric material used, temperature, and the electric field strength. Some materials have a higher dielectric constant than others, and it can also change with temperature and applied voltage.

5. Why is it important to know the dielectric constant in a capacitor?

The dielectric constant is an essential parameter in the design and functioning of capacitors. It affects the capacitance, energy storage capacity, and other electrical properties of the capacitor. Knowing the dielectric constant is crucial for selecting the appropriate capacitor for a specific application and optimizing its performance.