Find Diameter for Mass Flow, using gravity

In summary: Keep up the good work. In summary, the poster is trying to find a minimum mass flow rate for their project, which requires a flow rate of 1 GPM to 4 GPM. Water is flowing out of a 5 gallon jug with the top cut off and into a PVC pipe. The poster has correctly calculated the velocity of the water and has determined the necessary diameter for the water to funnel through. They also inquire about using the Latex feature and the use of the DE equation in their project.
bhaarat316

Homework Statement

Height of water 19.9 inches, 1GPM flow rate min
Gravity,

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is the run down first, I'm trying to find a min mass flow rate for my project which needs to be 1 GPM, and max 4 GPM. Now water is going out of a 5 gallon jug, that has the top cut off, and the water is flowing into a PVC pipe. I need to find the velocity of water at atm pressure, and then the diameter of the circle which the water will funnel through. I did some work I just need help making sure I did it right, basically a check over. think of it as a Deer Park 5 gallon bottle, like the ones for water dispenser, but the top cut off, and it flowing out the nozzle.

Man how do I use the Latex thing?

So, I know V=Sqrt(2∗19.5inches∗387.6inches/s^2)
V=122.95 inches/sec, 10.245 ft/s = 614.7 ft/min

Now the simple equation of Q=VA

1 GPM->.13ft^3/min = 614.7ft/min * A
.03024 in^2 = A(min)
sqrt(.03024/∏)= r(min) = .09811 inches

We would have to reduce our inner diameter to .19622 inches.
Now is this right? I can't believe that? I was initial thinking it would be a DE since our mass flow would be varying, depending the height of the water, gravity would be pushing it through the main system.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for posting your question. I can confirm that your calculations are correct. It seems like you have a good understanding of the equations and concepts involved in your project.

In terms of using the Latex feature, you can use it to format equations and symbols in a more organized and readable way. It may take some practice to get used to it, but there are many online resources and tutorials available to help you learn how to use it.

Regarding your question about the use of the DE equation, it is not necessary in this case since you are only considering a constant flow rate. However, if your project involves varying flow rates, it would be useful to use the DE equation to analyze the system.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

Related to Find Diameter for Mass Flow, using gravity

1. What is the equation for finding the diameter for mass flow using gravity?

The equation for finding the diameter for mass flow using gravity is d=√((4m)/(ρπg)), where d is the diameter, m is the mass flow rate, ρ is the density, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. Why is it important to find the correct diameter for mass flow?

Finding the correct diameter for mass flow is important because it ensures that the flow rate is optimized, preventing issues such as clogging or insufficient flow. It also helps to minimize energy and cost losses.

3. Can this equation be used for any type of fluid?

Yes, this equation can be used for any type of fluid as long as the density and acceleration due to gravity are known. It is commonly used for liquids and gases.

4. Are there any limitations to using this equation?

Yes, there are some limitations to using this equation. It assumes that the flow is incompressible, the fluid is Newtonian, and the flow is laminar. It also does not take into account any external factors such as friction or turbulence.

5. How can this equation be applied in real-world situations?

This equation can be applied in various real-world situations, such as designing pipes or channels for fluid transportation systems, determining the size of nozzles or pumps for specific flow rates, and calculating the flow rate in hydraulics and fluid dynamics experiments.