Find dispersion relation using periodicity

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a linear chain of particles with alternating spring constants. The task is to find the dispersion relation and sketch the resulting function, using the periodicity of the system. The variables η2j and η2j+1 are mentioned but their meanings are not known. The person suggests asking the professor for clarification.
Shafikae
Ok so here's another problem that i just completely don't understand at all. Thanks for your help.

A linear chain consists of 2N equally spaced identical particles with mass m and speration a, coupled by springs with alternating constands k1 and k2. Use the periodicity of the system to find the dispersion relation and sketch the resulting function ω (q). Hint: Assume

η2j = [tex]\alpha[/tex]e^i[2jaq-ωt] , η2j+1 = βe^i[(2j+1)aq - ωt]

Physics news on Phys.org
What do η2j and η2j+1 represent? What does 'q' represent?

I don't know. This is what the professor assigned.

Ask your professor then.

How on Earth do you expect to show that η2j =[itex]\alpha[/itex] e^i[2jaq-ωt], if you have no idea what the variables η2j and 'q' represent?!

Related to Find dispersion relation using periodicity

1. What is a dispersion relation and why is it important?

A dispersion relation is a mathematical relationship between the frequency and wavelength of a wave. It describes how a wave propagates through a medium. It is important because it can provide valuable information about the properties of the medium, such as its density and elasticity.

2. How can periodicity be used to find a dispersion relation?

Periodicity refers to the repeating pattern of a wave. By studying this pattern, one can determine the frequency and wavelength of the wave. Using this information, a dispersion relation can be derived using mathematical equations.

3. What types of waves can be analyzed using a dispersion relation?

A dispersion relation can be used to analyze various types of waves, including electromagnetic waves, acoustic waves, and surface waves. It is a universal tool for studying wave propagation in different mediums.

4. Can a dispersion relation be used to predict the behavior of waves in different mediums?

Yes, a dispersion relation can be used to predict the behavior of waves in different mediums. By understanding the properties of the medium, such as its density and elasticity, one can use the dispersion relation to determine how a wave will propagate through it.

5. Are there any limitations to using a dispersion relation to study waves?

While a dispersion relation is a useful tool for studying waves, it is not always accurate. It assumes that the medium is homogeneous and isotropic, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it does not take into account external factors that may affect the wave's propagation, such as external forces or interactions with other waves.