Find equation for self similar solution to the thin shear layer equations

In summary, the conversation discusses an alternative boundary condition for no-slip walls, known as the porous-wall condition. The conversation then delves into the determination of differential equations and restrictions for self-similar boundary layer solutions with non-zero suction. The professor's derivation for the self-similar solution with no suction is discussed, but it is noted that there may be a mistake in the derivation. The correct equation for the self-similar solution with suction is given as:$$\phi_x = -v_w x - \theta y\phi_y + \phi(\alpha + \theta) - \alpha\phi(y=0)$$The restriction for part b) is that the suction velocity should be much smaller than the external velocity
fahraynk

Homework Statement

An alternative to the usual no-slip wall boundary condition ##u = 0, v = 0##, is the porous-wall condition ##u = 0##, ##v = v_w(x)##. A porous wall with negative ##v_w## (suction) is known to delay transition to turbulence, for example.
1a) Assuming a uniform ##u_e(x)##, determine what differential equation needs to be satisfied by a self-similar boundary layer solution for a nonzero vw. Assume that ##v_w≪u_e## so that the TSL equations remain valid.
upload_2017-7-7_12-9-6.png

1b) Determine the restrictions that must be placed on ##v_w(x)## so that the similar boundary layer solution you derived in Part a) can occur.
1c) Now assuming a non-uniform ##u_e(x)## determine what differential equation needs to be satisfied by a self-similar boundary layer solution for a nonzero ##v_w##
1d) Determine the restrictions that must be placed on ##v_w(x)## and ##u_e(x)## so that the similar boundary
layer solution you derived in Part c) can occur.

Homework Equations

density, pressure, velocity in x, velocity in y, velocity external, viscosity = ##\rho##,##P##,##u##,##v##,##u_e##,##\vartheta##
##X_y=\frac{\partial X}{\partial Y}##
stream function : ##-\phi_x=v##, ##\phi_y=u##
stream function form of thin shear equations :
$$\phi_y * \phi_{xy} - \phi_x*\phi_{yy}=U_e*\frac{\partial U_e}{\partial x}+\vartheta * \phi_{yyy}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

So the answer for "non self similar solution" would be the regular thin shear layer equations with a boundary condition at the wall of ##v(y=0)=v_w##
$$u_x+u_y=0\\\\
u_t+u*u_x+v*u_y=-\frac{1}{\rho}P_x+\vartheta*u{yy}$$
with a solution ##u=u_e[1-e^\frac{v_wy}{\vartheta}]##

But the question wants to know the equation that needs to be solved by a self similar solution.

The professor gave a derivation of a self similar solution with no velocity at the wall, but I think there is a mistake in it. Please take a look :
Self similar solution condition :
$$BU(x,y)=U(x+dx,\frac{y}{A})\\\\
B=(1+\epsilon')\\\\
\frac{y}{A}=y+\epsilon y$$
through a taylor approximation, he gets a similar solution condition :
$$\frac{\partial U}{\partial x}+\frac{\epsilon}{dx}Y\frac{\partial U}{\partial y} = \frac{\epsilon'}{dx}U$$
with ##\frac{\epsilon}{dx}=\theta## and ##\frac{\epsilon'}{dx}=\alpha##, put in stream function form :
$$\phi_{xy}+\theta Y \phi_{yy}= \alpha \phi_y$$
now take the integral of both sides in order to get a function for ##\phi_x## that can be used to make the stream function as a function of y alone. :
$$\phi_x=v_w-\theta y \phi_y + \phi(\alpha + \theta)-\alpha\phi(y=0)$$
So here is my first question/point of confusion. The professor explains that ##\phi(y=0)=0##. He derived this for a situation with no suction, I am trying to modify it for suction. I think ##\phi(y=0)=-v_w*x## because ##-\phi_x=v##. Is this correct?

Then, we plug I plug it into the stream equation I get :
$$(\alpha+\theta)(\phi_y)^2-[(\alpha+\theta) \phi+v_w-\alpha \phi (y=0)] \phi_{yy}=u_e \frac{\partial u_e}{\partial x} + \vartheta \phi_{yyy}$$
The professor leaves off a ##\theta## from the first term, with ##\phi=0## and ##v_w=0## he gets :
$$\alpha(\phi_y)^2-(\alpha+\theta) \phi \phi_{yy}=u_e \frac{\partial u_e}{\partial x} + \vartheta \phi_{yyy}$$

So... I think he just substituted wrong which is why the first term with ##(\phi_y)^2## does not equal ##(\alpha + \theta)##

Is my equation the correct answer? Also should ##\phi=-v_wx##?

Physics news on Phys.org
For part b), I think the restrictions on ##v_w## is that it should be much smaller than ##u_e## in order for the thin shear layer equations to remain valid. Is that correct? For parts c) and d), I am not sure how to even start. Any help would be appreciated.

1. What are the thin shear layer equations?

The thin shear layer equations are a set of mathematical equations used to describe the behavior of a thin layer of fluid as it flows over a solid surface. They take into account factors such as viscosity, density, and velocity to predict the behavior of the fluid layer.

2. What is a self-similar solution to the thin shear layer equations?

A self-similar solution to the thin shear layer equations is a solution in which the flow properties (such as velocity and pressure) remain constant when the distance from the solid surface is scaled by a certain factor. This means that the flow properties have a similar shape at all points along the shear layer.

3. Why is it important to find a self-similar solution?

Finding a self-similar solution to the thin shear layer equations can greatly simplify the analysis of the fluid flow. It allows for the use of similarity parameters, which can help predict the behavior of the flow without the need for solving complex equations. Additionally, self-similar solutions can provide insights into the underlying physics of the flow.

4. How do scientists find a self-similar solution to the thin shear layer equations?

Scientists use a combination of analytical and numerical methods to find self-similar solutions to the thin shear layer equations. This involves solving the equations for different scaling factors and comparing the results to determine the appropriate scaling factor that produces a self-similar solution.

5. What are some real-world applications of self-similar solutions to the thin shear layer equations?

Self-similar solutions to the thin shear layer equations have many practical applications in fields such as aerodynamics, fluid dynamics, and meteorology. They can be used to model the behavior of fluids in various industrial and environmental settings, such as air flow over aircraft wings, water flow over dams, and atmospheric boundary layer flows.