Find force box exerts on other box up incline

In summary: In a horizontal case the acceleration would be the same since there is no force acting on the boxes. In an incline case the acceleration would be 5 m/s^2 because the weight is now being multiplied by the cosine of the angle of the incline. Why would the incline case be the same? It might be because in an incline case the boxes are being pulled up by a force that is always acting in the same direction (the force of gravity). In a horizontal case, the boxes would be pushed up by a force that is always acting in a direction opposite to the direction in which the boxes are moving (the force of friction).
Entr0py

Homework Statement

A force F pushes two boxes, box 1 and box 2 up an inclined plane of 30 degrees. If F=25 N and box 1 is 2 kg and box 2 is 3 kg, what is the force exerted on the 2 kg box by the 3 kg box. Assume no friction.

Homework Equations

F=ma.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the boxes' accelerations are the same, I decided to resolve the 2 kg box's weight into mgsin(theta) and mgcos(theta). Since mgcos(theta) is equal and opposite to the normal force on the 2 kg box, I thought that the magnitude of the force with which the 3 kg box exerts on the 2 kg box equals mgsin(theta) for the 2 kg box. So the answer to the problem I thought would be mgsin(theta) which would be (2 kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(30 degrees) which is 9.8 N.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Ouch, what happened to Newton's laws? The weight of an object is the force of the Earth (gravity) on the object. An objects weight never acts on another object. Try Newton's 2nd law on the system of the 2 boxes by first finding the net force acting on the system to solve for the acceleration. Then draw free body diagrams of each block separately to find the contact force between blocks, again using his laws.

PhanthomJay said:
Ouch, what happened to Newton's laws? The weight of an object is the force of the Earth (gravity) on the object. An objects weight never acts on another object. Try Newton's 2nd law on the system of the 2 boxes by first finding the net force acting on the system to solve for the acceleration. Then draw free body diagrams of each block separately to find the contact force between blocks, again using his laws.
ok my bad. Yeah you're right: I guess Newton's laws don't exist in my world. I think I got confused when I resolved the weight into its components. That's what happens when you do a problem too quickly. Yikes indeed

I found that the acceleration of the system is 5 m/s^2. The forces acting on the 2 kg box are its weight, normal force from incline, and the reaction force from the 3 kg box. So would the force that 3 kg box exerts on 2 kg box be (3 kg)(5 m/s^2) which would be 15 N?

Depends on which way the force vector points.

It points in the left direction, in direction of 2 kg box.

Is it parallel to the ground or the 30 degree incline?

At a 30 degree angle

I just don't see how I could resolve that force vector if it is parallel to incline

Entr0py said:
I found that the acceleration of the system is 5 m/s^2. The forces acting on the 2 kg box are its weight, normal force from incline, and the reaction force from the 3 kg box. So would the force that 3 kg box exerts on 2 kg box be (3 kg)(5 m/s^2) which would be 15 N?
Why would the acceleration be ##5\frac{m}{s^2}##? Ask yourself if this is the same as if it were a horizontal case. Why would the incline case be the same?

Did you draw your force diagrams?

Newton's laws don't exist in my world.

Not sure what this means.

You need to find the net force of the system. After you do that you can determine the acceleration. In this particular problem there is normal, weight due to gravity, and the 25N.

BongoShaftsbury said:
You need to find the net force of the system. After you do that you can determine the acceleration. In this particular problem there is normal, weight due to gravity, and the 25N.

LOL my bad, got who was asking the question confused.

What is the formula for calculating the force exerted by one box on another up an incline?

The formula for calculating the force exerted by one box on another up an incline is F = mgsin(theta), where F is the force, m is the mass of the box, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and theta is the angle of the incline.

How does the mass of the boxes affect the force exerted?

The mass of the boxes directly affects the force exerted as it is a part of the formula. As the mass of the boxes increases, the force exerted also increases.

What is the role of the angle of the incline in determining the force exerted?

The angle of the incline plays a crucial role in determining the force exerted. As the angle increases, the force exerted also increases, and vice versa. This is because the component of the force acting parallel to the incline (mgcos(theta)) decreases as the angle increases, resulting in a larger force parallel to the incline (mgsin(theta)).

Are there any other factors that affect the force exerted by one box on another up an incline?

Apart from the mass and angle, the force exerted can also be affected by the coefficient of friction between the two boxes and the incline. If the coefficient of friction is high, it can decrease the force exerted due to the opposing force acting on the boxes.

Can this formula be applied to objects other than boxes?

Yes, the formula can be applied to any objects that are on an incline and are acted upon by gravity. As long as the mass and angle of the incline are known, the force exerted can be calculated using the formula F = mgsin(theta).