Find Hg Vapor Mass in Grams at 20C Room

In summary, the problem involves finding the amount of mercury vapor spilled in a 15.2m x 6.6m x 2.4m laboratory at a temperature of 20C and a given vapor pressure of Hg = 1.7E-6 atm. Using the ideal gas law, the amount of mercury vapor is calculated to be 3.4 grams, which exceeds the air quality regulation of 0.050 mg Hg/m^3.
higherme

Homework Statement

Hg is spilled in a laboratory which measures 15.2m long, 6.6m wide, and 2.4m high. Find mercury vapor in grams at 20C room. Given vapor pressure of Hg = 1.7E-6 atm.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Volume= 15.2*6.6*2.4 =240.768 m^3 = 240768 L
Temp = 20 + 273.15 = 293.15 K
P = 1.7E-6 atm

PV =nRT
n= PV/RT
n= (1.7E-6)(240768 L)/ (0.08206 L atm/mol K)(293.15K)
n= 0.017 mol
0.017 mol*200.6g/mol
= 3.4 g Hg

I'm not quite sure if this is how you calculate the mass of Hg. the next part of question asks if concentration of Hg exceed air quality reg. (0.050 mg Hg/m^3). According to my answer, it does exceed b/c 3.4g=3413mg/240.768m^3 = 14.2 mg Hg/m^3.

can someone check my work please, thanks in advance. I have a feeling that the mass of Hg is a bit too high...

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check the math, but the setup for the calculations looks correct.

Ygggdrasil said:
I didn't check the math, but the setup for the calculations looks correct.

are the numbers i used correct?

Looks OK.

--

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 422

1. How do you calculate the mass of Hg vapor at room temperature?

The mass of Hg vapor at room temperature can be calculated using the ideal gas law: PV = nRT. First, determine the volume of the room (V) and the temperature (T) in Kelvin. Then, use the known pressure (P) and the molar mass of Hg to solve for the number of moles (n). Finally, multiply the number of moles by the molar mass of Hg to find the mass in grams.

2. What is the molar mass of Hg?

The molar mass of Hg (mercury) is 200.59 g/mol.

3. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure (P), volume (V), temperature (T), and number of moles (n) of a gas. It is written as PV = nRT, where R is the ideal gas constant.

4. How does temperature affect the mass of Hg vapor?

As temperature increases, the mass of Hg vapor also increases. This is because higher temperatures lead to greater kinetic energy and faster movement of gas particles, causing them to take up more space and increase in mass.

5. Is the mass of Hg vapor at room temperature affected by pressure?

Yes, the mass of Hg vapor at room temperature is affected by pressure. According to the ideal gas law, an increase in pressure will result in a decrease in volume, leading to a decrease in the number of moles of Hg vapor and therefore a decrease in mass.