Does Spilled Mercury Exceed EPA Air Quality Limits in the Lab?

• Thread starter knottlena
  • Start date
In summary, the researcher breaks a thermometer and spills most of the mercury on the floor of a laboratory measuring 15.2 m long, 6.6 m wide, and 2.4 m high. The concentration of mercury must be determined to see if it exceeds the EPA air quality regulation of 0.050 mg Hg/m3 of air. Using the ideal gas law and the dimensions of the room, the volume of the room is calculated to be 2.4 x 10^5 L. However, the amount of mercury spilled is not given, making it impossible to calculate the concentration.
knottlena
The Answer is "Yes", but I need to show HOW. Plz Help.

Homework Statement

A researcher breaks a thermometer & spills most of the mercury in it on the floor of a laboratory that measures 15.2 m Long, 6.6 m Wide, & 2.4 m High. Does the concetration of mercury exceed the EPA air quality regulation of .050 mg Hg/m3 of air? (Temp of the rm is 20 degrees celcius; the vapor pressure of mercury at this temp is 1.7 x 10 to -6th atm.)

Homework Equations

PV=nRT & LxWxH

The Attempt at a Solution

LxWxH=240.77 m3 x 100 to the 3rd power=2.4x10 to the 8th cm3 x 1mL/1cm3=2.4x10 to the 8th/1000 L = 2.4 x 10 to the 5th L
Hg = 200.59g/mol
n=PV/RT (1.7 x10 to -6th)(2.4 x 10 to the 5th)/ (.0821 Latm/mol K) (293K) = 1.4 x 10 to the 3rd mol

I just don't know where to go from here. I know the answer is 14.1 mg/m3, but I can't figure out how the teacher got there. HELP PLEase. Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

You have not said how much mercury is spilled.

My professor did not offer up that information in the question. A couple other students in my class were able to solve it with the information given, but I am at a loss. I appreciate you trying :)

Think about it backwards. You need to wind up with a density of mercury vapor. What quantities do you need in order to calculate that density?

Check your calculation for n. I think your answer shown is much too large.

Thank you

Related to Does Spilled Mercury Exceed EPA Air Quality Limits in the Lab?

What does it mean when you say "The Answer is Yes, but I need to show HOW?"

When I say "The Answer is Yes, but I need to show HOW," it means that the answer to a question or problem is affirmative, but I will need to provide evidence or explanation to support my answer.

Can you give an example of a situation where "The Answer is Yes, but I need to show HOW?"

Sure, for example, if someone asks if a new medication is effective, the answer may be yes, but as a scientist, I would need to conduct studies and gather data to demonstrate how the medication works and its effectiveness.

Why is it important to show HOW when the answer is Yes?

It is important to show HOW when the answer is Yes because it adds credibility and validity to the answer. By providing evidence and explanation, it allows others to understand the reasoning behind the answer and make informed decisions.

What are some methods you use to show HOW the answer is Yes?

As a scientist, I may use experiments, data analysis, research studies, and other scientific methods to demonstrate how the answer is Yes. I may also use visual aids or presentations to clearly communicate my findings.

How does showing HOW the answer is Yes impact the scientific community?

Showing HOW the answer is Yes contributes to the advancement of scientific knowledge and understanding. By providing evidence and explanations, it allows for further research and collaboration among scientists. It also promotes transparency and credibility in the scientific community.