Find L & C for Maximum Power Transfer to Load Resistor

In summary: This is a purely reactive circuit. The primary side is a capacitive reactance and the secondary a inductive reactance. The power is zero.
Dissonance in E

Homework Statement

Find L & C so that maximum power is delivered to load resistor.

___l 50 ohm l___ ( inductor L )____.____ ( inductor L )___
l . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . l . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . l
10 V ac source . . . . . . . . ( Capacitor C) . . . . . . . l 200 ohm l
l______________________________l__________________l

Homework Equations

Zi = Zl*

The Attempt at a Solution

What bugs me is the fact that no source frequency is given.
Im guessing youd go about solving this by dividing the circuit into internal impedance and load impedance, let's pick:

Zi = 50 + jwL
So that the load circuit consists of the cap, other inductor and 200ohm resistor.
The cap is connected in parallel with the inductor and resistor so
1/(jwC) ll (200 + jwL)
((200 + jwl)/(jwC))/(jwC + 200 + jwL)
equating that to Zi*
((200 + jwl)/(jwC))/(jwC + 200 + jwL) = 50 -jwL

Is there any sense to this?

Ps: sorry for the dingy drawing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dissonance in E said:

Homework Statement

Find L & C so that maximum power is delivered to load resistor.

___l 50 ohm l___ ( inductor L )____.____ ( inductor L )___
l . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . l . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . l
10 V ac source . . . . . . . . ( Capacitor C) . . . . . . . l 200 ohm l
l______________________________l__________________l

Homework Equations

Zi = Zl*

The Attempt at a Solution

What bugs me is the fact that no source frequency is given.
Im guessing youd go about solving this by dividing the circuit into internal impedance and load impedance, let's pick:

Zi = 50 + jwL
So that the load circuit consists of the cap, other inductor and 200ohm resistor.
The cap is connected in parallel with the inductor and resistor so
1/(jwC) ll (200 + jwL)
((200 + jwl)/(jwC))/(jwC + 200 + jwL)
equating that to Zi*
((200 + jwl)/(jwC))/(jwC + 200 + jwL) = 50 -jwL

Is there any sense to this?

Ps: sorry for the dingy drawing.

I would interpret the source impedance as just the 50 Ohms. The rest of the elements form the load. You need to pick the L and C values to match the real 50 Ohms, I would think.

You might then see if any changes to the LC values could deliver more power to the actual load resistor... I would think not, but you should definitely check. If the load circuit it matched to the source 50 Ohms, then all power should go forward, and the only place for it to be dissipated is in the load resistor. (EDIT -- well half of the source's power is dissipated in the source resistor, but the rest should get dissipated in the load resistor as long as the network is matched)

This may also look a lot like using a T network to match a different source and load resistance. You could use the math of matching networks to double-check your answer...

berkeman said:
I would interpret the source impedance as just the 50 Ohms. The rest of the elements form the load. You need to pick the L and C values to match the real 50 Ohms, I would think.

You might then see if any changes to the LC values could deliver more power to the actual load resistor... I would think not, but you should definitely check. If the load circuit it matched to the source 50 Ohms, then all power should go forward, and the only place for it to be dissipated is in the load resistor. (EDIT -- well half of the source's power is dissipated in the source resistor, but the rest should get dissipated in the load resistor as long as the network is matched)

This may also look a lot like using a T network to match a different source and load resistance. You could use the math of matching networks to double-check your answer...

Since it says 10V ac, you may assume that the source frequency is 60 Hz.
I agree with Berkeman. You should calculate what values of L and C present to the primary an impedance of 50 ohm and to the secondary an impedance of 200 ohm.

Related to Find L & C for Maximum Power Transfer to Load Resistor

1. What is a "maximum power transfer" in the context of a webpage?

A maximum power transfer occurs when the load resistor of a webpage is matched to the source impedance, resulting in the most efficient use of power from the source to the load. This ensures optimal performance and speed for the webpage.

2. How do you calculate the load resistor for maximum power transfer?

The load resistor can be calculated using the formula RL = (RS)(RL)/(RS+RL) where RS is the source impedance and RL is the load resistor. This will give the value of RL that will result in maximum power transfer to the load.

3. Can the source impedance be changed to achieve maximum power transfer?

Yes, the source impedance can be adjusted by changing the design of the webpage, such as the code structure and content, to achieve maximum power transfer to the load resistor. This will result in a faster and more efficient webpage.

4. How does optimizing a webpage for maximum power transfer benefit the user?

Optimizing a webpage for maximum power transfer ensures that the webpage will load quickly and efficiently, providing a better user experience. This can also save data and battery usage for the user, especially on mobile devices.

5. Are there any drawbacks to optimizing a webpage for maximum power transfer?

One potential drawback is that the webpage may require more resources and time to design and optimize for maximum power transfer, which could result in higher costs. Additionally, if the webpage is not frequently visited, the effort put into optimization may not be worth the benefits.