Find lorentz transformation for arbitrary velocity (v) relat

In summary, you need to use a matrix to solve the Lorentz transformation for arbitrary velocity (v) relative to (O). You can find the matrix form on a Wikipedia page, but you need to understand it first.
Pual Black
Hello
i have to find the Lorentz transformation for arbitrary velocity (v) relative to (O)

the information's i have:
1-i have to use all 3 components of velocity ##(V_x, V_y, V_z )##
2- ##x'=\frac{x-vt}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}##

##y'=y##

##z'=z##

3- ##V_x'=\frac{V_x-V}{1-\frac{VV_x}{c^2}}##

##V_y'=\frac{V_y\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}{1-\frac{VV_x}{c^2}}##

##V_z'=\frac{V_z\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}{1-\frac{VV_x}{c^2}}##

i searched the internet and this forum and found that i have to use a matrix to solve this question but i don't know how to do that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean that you can't find the general matrix form of the Lorentz transformation, or that you don't know how to use that matrix?

I can't find a way to get a solution of the problem above. I just have the information but don't know how to use them. Of course i also don't know how to use the matrix and even don't know if i have to use a matrix to get the solution of lorentz transformation.
So i need your help to solve the whole question and get the final equation.
Please give me a hint how i have to start.
Thank you

A.T. said:

Thank you for the link but Wikipedia was the first page i visited and from this site i know that i shall use the matrix. But I don't understand it. I can't just copy the solution without understandig it.
Therefore i asked for your help so i can solve this solution step by step.

Pual Black said:
from this site i know that i shall use the matrix

The Wikipedia page doesn't say you have to use a matrix. There's a whole section on the vector form before the one on the matrix form. Have you tried looking at that?

Pual Black said:
2- ##x'=\frac{x-vt}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}##

##y'=y##

##z′=z##

This is not correct for the general case you are trying to solve; it's only correct for the special case in which only ##V_x## is nonzero.

PeterDonis said:
The Wikipedia page doesn't say you have to use a matrix. There's a whole section on the vector form before the one on the matrix form. Have you tried looking at that?

Do you mean "
Boost in the x-direction and in y - z direction "

Yes i read it but the question says in arbitrary direction. Therefore x,y,z and not just in one direction.
Correct me please if I am wrong

Pual Black said:
Wikipedia was the first page i visited and from this site i know that i shall use the matrix. But I don't understand it.

Can you say more specifically about what you don't understand about it? You don't understand how to use it, or you don't understand where it comes from? Specifically, this:

b335adbcd19fc73b578845feda88875b.png

Pual Black said:
Do you mean "
Boost in the x-direction and in y - z direction "

I mean the section entitled "Vector form" under "Boost in any direction".

Pual Black said:
the question says in arbitrary direction

A boost in "any" direction is the same thing as a boost in an "arbitrary" direction. That's why A.T. directed you to that portion of the Wikipedia page.

jtbell said:
Can you say more specifically about what you don't understand about it? You don't understand how to use it, or you don't understand where it comes from? Specifically, this:

b335adbcd19fc73b578845feda88875b.png

I don't know where they come from.

PeterDonis said:
This is not correct for the general case you are trying to solve; it's only correct for the special case in which only ##V_x## is nonzero.

yes i searched a little and found this. is it right now?

##x'=\frac{x-vt}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}##

##y'=\frac{y-vt}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}##

##z'=\frac{z-vt}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}##

It seems to me that the easiest conceptual approach is to find some purely spatial rotation (which can be represented by a matrix R) that aligns the boost in some specified direction of your choice (x,y,z).

Then the total boost should be ##R^{-1} B R## where R is the purely spatial rotation matrix (padded out from the usual 3x3 matrix to a 4x4 matrix), ##R^{-1}## is its inverse, and B is the boost along the axis of your choice (x,y,z).

I.e to boost in an arbitrary direction, you rotate your frame of reference so that one of the x,y,or z axis (your choice) points in the boost direction, then you preform the boost along your chosen axis, then you undo the rotation.

This also strikes me as more work than I care to do. But you should eventually be able to get the right answer, I think.

Pual Black said:
is it right now?

No. I'm not sure I understand why you keep searching for solutions to copy, since you said this in an earlier post:

Pual Black said:
I can't just copy the solution without understandig it.

Searching isn't going to help you understand; you need to take some time and look at the information we've already linked you to, and try to figure out what it's telling you, and ask questions about it.

Pual Black said:
I don't know where they come from.

They come from writing the vector equations in the "vector form" section out component by component, and then putting all that information in matrix form. Once again, have you looked at the "vector form" section? Do you have questions about what it says there? If you want to understand how a boost in an arbitrary direction works, that section is a good place to start.

PeterDonis said:
No. I'm not sure I understand why you keep searching for solutions to copy, since you said this in an earlier post:
Searching isn't going to help you understand; you need to take some time and look at the information we've already linked you to, and try to figure out what it's telling you, and ask questions about it.

I'm not searching for solutions. I'm searching for more information about what you said. I don't want to ask you everything.
And as i said i just have a few informations which are not enough. Therefore i must keep searching and learning.

Now i want your help to understand why we used the matrix. What is the reason ? Why not a determined or something else

Pual Black said:
i want your help to understand why we used the matrix.

Sigh. You aren't even reading my posts. Twice now I have pointed you at the vector form of the transformation. That is not the matrix form. You do not have to use the matrix.

And even if you end up using the matrix for calculations, understanding the vector form and how it works will help you to understand the matrix form. So, for a third time, have you looked at the vector form of the transformation?

PeterDonis said:
Sigh. You aren't even reading my posts. Twice now I have pointed you at the vector form of the transformation. That is not the matrix form. You do not have to use the matrix.

And even if you end up using the matrix for calculations, understanding the vector form and how it works will help you to understand the matrix form. So, for a third time, have you looked at the vector form of the transformation?
Just curious, would you generally recommend using the vector form over the matrix form for boosts in any direction? I must admit that the matrix complicates matters a little more than I'd like it to.

PWiz said:
would you generally recommend using the vector form over the matrix form for boosts in any direction?

For understanding what's going on, yes. For actually doing computations, it depends; for many computations, the matrix form will probably be easier to use.

Pual Black said:
I'm not searching for solutions. I'm searching for more information about what you said. I don't want to ask you everything.
And as i said i just have a few informations which are not enough. Therefore i must keep searching and learning.

Now i want your help to understand why we used the matrix. What is the reason ? Why not a determined or something else

Matrices represent linear trasnformations, a tool of linear algebra. I would suggest finding an introductory textbook on the topic on matrices (and/or linear algebra, though the later might be a bit broader search term) to learn more about them.

I don't have any specific textbook recommendations, but you should be able to find some books at the library.

If you are struggling to understand the Lorentz transformation and its representation via matrices, it might be helpful to first study rotations (which I hope you are familiar with conceptually) and how matrices are used to represent rotations.

1. What is the Lorentz transformation for arbitrary velocity (v)?

The Lorentz transformation for arbitrary velocity (v) is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between space and time for an object moving at a constant velocity. It was developed by physicist Hendrik Lorentz and is a key component of Einstein's theory of special relativity.

2. How is the Lorentz transformation derived?

The Lorentz transformation is derived using the principles of special relativity, which include the constancy of the speed of light and the relativity of simultaneity. It involves manipulating equations to account for the effects of time dilation and length contraction due to an object's motion.

3. Why is the Lorentz transformation important in physics?

The Lorentz transformation is important in physics because it allows us to understand how the laws of physics behave in different reference frames. It also helps explain the observed phenomena of time dilation and length contraction, which have been confirmed through experiments such as the famous Michelson-Morley experiment.

4. Can the Lorentz transformation be applied to any velocity?

Yes, the Lorentz transformation can be applied to any velocity, including velocities approaching the speed of light. However, it is only applicable to objects moving at a constant velocity in a straight line. For objects with changing velocities or accelerating, more complex equations such as the Lorentz boost are needed.

5. How does the Lorentz transformation affect our understanding of space and time?

The Lorentz transformation revolutionized our understanding of space and time by showing that they are not absolute and can be affected by motion. It also led to the concept of spacetime, where space and time are interconnected and cannot be considered separately. This has had a significant impact on the field of physics and our understanding of the universe.