Find mass of black hole in center of galaxy given eccentricity+

In summary, astronomers believe there is a massive black hole at the center of the Milky Way galaxy, supported by evidence from the observation of a star named "S2" in a 15.2-year orbit around the center of the galaxy. By calculating the mass of the compact object using the period of revolution, eccentricity, and semimajor axis of the orbit, astronomers have determined that the object has a mass of 3.11*10^36 kilograms. This suggests that it is a black hole due to its high density compared to its size.
oddjobmj

Homework Statement

Astronomers believe that there is a massive black hole at the center of the Milky Way galaxy. What evidence is there for that?
A group of astronomers have observed a star "S2" in a 15.2-year orbit around the center of the galaxy. They measured the period of revolution T = 15.2 years, the eccentricity of the elliptical orbit ε = 0.87, and the semimajor axis of the orbit a = 4.62 mpc. [The unit: mpc = milli-parsec = 0.001 parsec.]

(A) Calculate the mass of the compact object about which S2 is revolving.

Homework Equations

sm=semi-minor axis
sM=semi-major axis

Eccentricity=[itex]\sqrt{1-(sm/sM)^2}[/itex]

Mass=[itex]\frac{4π^2r^3}{GT^2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If I plug in my values to the eccentricity equation and solve for the semi-minor axis I get 7.031*1010 km. With that I can find r which is the average of the semi-major and semi-minor axis:

r=1.06455*1011 km

Plugging in my knows to the mass equation I get 3.11*10^36 kilograms which is incorrect. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Apparently the way I figured out r was incorrect. It should be 1.426 *10^11 km. My answer is now correct!

Why does the correct mass imply its a black hole? Density from known size?

1. What is the eccentricity of a black hole?

The eccentricity of a black hole refers to the shape of its orbit, which is determined by its mass and velocity. A perfectly circular orbit has an eccentricity of 0, while a highly elliptical orbit has an eccentricity close to 1.

2. How is the mass of a black hole in the center of a galaxy determined?

The mass of a black hole in the center of a galaxy can be determined by studying the orbits of stars and gas clouds around it. The more massive the black hole, the stronger its gravitational pull, which affects the shape and speed of these orbits.

3. What is the significance of finding the mass of a black hole in the center of a galaxy?

The mass of a black hole in the center of a galaxy is important for understanding the structure and evolution of the galaxy. It can also provide insight into the growth and activity of the black hole, as well as its impact on the surrounding environment.

4. How does the eccentricity of a black hole affect its mass?

The eccentricity of a black hole does not have a direct effect on its mass. However, the eccentricity can provide clues about the formation and evolution of the black hole, which can in turn give insight into its mass.

5. Can the mass of a black hole in the center of a galaxy change over time?

Yes, the mass of a black hole in the center of a galaxy can change over time. This can happen through accretion of surrounding matter or merging with other black holes. However, these changes occur over long periods of time and are not easily measurable.