Find maximum thrust of a rocket blasting off

In summary: Then use F=ma to get the acceleration.In summary, we have a 2.49×104-kg rocket with a constant acceleration and a 14.5-N instrument hanging from a wire with a maximum tension of 37.3 N. Using Newton's laws and basic kinematics, the minimum time for the rocket to reach the sound barrier without breaking the wire was found to be 21.4 seconds. The rocket will be 3530 meters above the Earth's surface when it breaks the sound barrier. To find the maximum vertical thrust of the rocket engines, we need to find the net force by subtracting the weight of the rocket from the upward thrust and then use F=ma to calculate the acceleration.
RUphysics3

Homework Statement

A 2.49×104-kg rocket blasts off vertically from the Earth's surface with a constant acceleration. During the motion considered in the problem, assume thatg remains constant. Inside the rocket, a 14.5-N instrument hangs from a wire that can support a maximum tension of 37.3 N .

I found that :

Acceleration = 15.42 m/s^2

Find the minimum time for this rocket to reach the sound barrier (330m/s) without breaking the inside wire.

The answer to this was 21.4 .

How far is the rocket above the Earth's surface when it breaks the sound barrier?
3530 m.

Now I have to find the maximum vertical thrust of the rocket engines under these conditions.

Homework Equations

I tried using F=ma and some basic kinematics.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using F=ma...
i tried F=(2.49x10^4) * 15.42 . This wasn't correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tension acts on the instrument and on the rocket. (Downwards on rocket and upwards on the instrument) Let acceleration of rocket be ##a##. Since the string is inextensible, the instrument will also have same acceleration. Write Newtons law equation for both rocket and instrument.

RUphysics3 said:
F=(2.49x10^4) * 15.42 . This wasn't correct.

Is this the net force on the rocket or the thrust force?

Mister T said:
Is this the net force on the rocket or the thrust force?
Well it's a vertical launch..So wouldn't it be the same thing? the only component is in the y direction.. I don't really understand thrust that well. I think it's something like thrust comes out the bottom of the rocket and propels it upwards so the thrust acts upwards? I really don't know

Titan97 said:
Tension acts on the instrument and on the rocket. (Downwards on rocket and upwards on the instrument) Let acceleration of rocket be ##a##. Since the string is inextensible, the instrument will also have same acceleration. Write Newtons law equation for both rocket and instrument.
What do you mean?
So for the rocket it would be F=(2.49x10^4) * 15.42
For the instrument.. F=(14.5N/9.81) * 15.42 ? Now what?

RUphysics3 said:
Well it's a vertical launch..So wouldn't it be the same thing? the only component is in the y direction.. I don't really understand thrust that well. I think it's something like thrust comes out the bottom of the rocket and propels it upwards so the thrust acts upwards? I really don't know

Thrust is the exhaust gas pushing upward on the rocket. Gravitational force (weight) is Earth pulling downward on the rocket.

Mister T said:
Thrust is the exhaust gas pushing upward on the rocket. Gravitational force (weight) is Earth pulling downward on the rocket.
So weight would be the mass times 9.8. But i did mass * acceleration..Okay.. so should I find weight of the rocket and subtract that from the upward thrust?

RUphysics3 said:
So weight would be the mass times 9.8. But i did mass * acceleration..Okay.. so should I find weight of the rocket and subtract that from the upward thrust?
To get the net force, yes.

1. What is maximum thrust and why is it important for a rocket blasting off?

Maximum thrust refers to the amount of force or power generated by the rocket engines during liftoff. It is important because it determines the rate at which the rocket can accelerate and ultimately reach its desired altitude.

2. How is the maximum thrust of a rocket calculated?

The maximum thrust of a rocket is calculated by multiplying the mass flow rate of the propellant (fuel) by the speed of its exhaust gases. This can be further enhanced by using multiple rocket engines.

3. What factors affect the maximum thrust of a rocket?

The maximum thrust of a rocket is affected by factors such as the type and efficiency of the rocket engines, the amount and type of propellant, and the weight and design of the rocket itself. Atmospheric conditions and gravity also play a role in determining the maximum thrust.

4. Can the maximum thrust of a rocket be increased?

Yes, the maximum thrust of a rocket can be increased by using more powerful engines, increasing the amount of propellant, and optimizing the design of the rocket for better aerodynamics. However, these modifications also come with added costs and technical challenges.

5. How does the maximum thrust affect the trajectory of a rocket?

The maximum thrust of a rocket directly affects its trajectory by determining the rate of acceleration and the speed at which it can reach its desired altitude. A higher maximum thrust allows for a steeper ascent and a quicker travel time, while a lower maximum thrust may result in a slower ascent and longer travel time.