Find minimum stopping distance

In summary, the problem involves a crate being transported on a flatbed truck with a coefficient of static friction of 0.470. The minimum stopping distance is to be determined for the truck traveling at 70 km/h and decelerating uniformly without the crate sliding forward. The equations used are F=ma and Vi^2 - Vo^2 = 2ad, with the acceleration calculated to be 4.606. The final velocity of the truck is needed, which is found to be 0 km/h.
y90x

Homework Statement

A crate is being transported on a flatbed truck. The coefficient of static friction between the crate and the bed is 0.470. What is the minimum stopping distance if the truck, traveling at 70 km/h, is to decelerate uniformly and the crate is not to slide forward on the bed?

Homework Equations

F=ma
Vi^2 - Vo^2 = 2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the acceleration ,
Fnet=ma
Us•mg=ma (The mass basically cancels out here)
Us•g = a
4.606 = a To find the distance, I figured to use Vi^2 - Vo^2 = 2ad , due to not having time . However , how do you find the final velocity of the initial velocity is 70 km/h .
I’m stumped here

Physics news on Phys.org
y90x said:
However , how do you find the final velocity of the initial velocity is 70 km/h .
I’m stumped here
You want to know the final velocity of a truck that is coming to a stop?

jbriggs444 said:

I tried that but it doesn’t get me the right answer

jbriggs444 said:

Never Mind, you’re right .
I did a mistake in my calculations
Thanks !

What is the definition of minimum stopping distance?

The minimum stopping distance is the shortest distance required for a moving object to come to a complete stop. It takes into account factors such as the object's initial speed, reaction time, and braking force.

How is minimum stopping distance calculated?

The calculation for minimum stopping distance involves using the equation d = vi^2/2a, where d is the distance, vi is the initial velocity, and a is the deceleration rate. This equation can be modified to account for different variables such as the coefficient of friction and reaction time.

What factors affect the minimum stopping distance?

The minimum stopping distance is affected by several factors, including the object's initial speed, the road conditions, the object's weight and size, the braking force, and the reaction time of the person controlling the object. Other factors such as the coefficient of friction and the type of brakes also play a role.

How can minimum stopping distance be reduced?

To reduce the minimum stopping distance, several measures can be taken. These include maintaining a safe speed, regularly checking and replacing brake pads and tires, having proper reaction time, and ensuring proper road conditions. In addition, using advanced braking systems and technologies can also help reduce the minimum stopping distance.

Why is it important to know the minimum stopping distance?

Knowing the minimum stopping distance is crucial for ensuring safety on the road. It allows drivers to maintain a safe speed and have enough time to react and stop in emergency situations. It also helps in designing and implementing effective traffic laws and regulations, as well as developing and improving vehicle and brake technologies.