Find Number of Neutrons in a Copper Bar given volume of bar?

In summary, the bar of copper has a volume of 11.37cm^3 and a density of 8.921 g/cm3. It contains 2 isotopes, 63Cu and 65Cu, with abundances of 69.09% and 30.91% respectively. Using the weighted average of these isotopes, the number of neutrons in the bar of copper is approximately 9.612E23. This takes into consideration the different masses of the isotopes in the sample.
viper2308
Homework Statement

A bar of copper has dimensions 0.5605 ft. x 3.545 in x 5.722 cm. The density of copper is 8.921 g / cm3. Copper contains 2 isotopes, 63Cu (69.09% abundant) and 65Cu (30.91% abundant). How many neutrons are in the bar of copper?

The attempt at a solution

I took the volume: 11.37cm^3 x 8.921g/cm^3 x 6.022E23 neutrons/63.546g Cu = 9.612E23 neutrons.

Is this right? I think I need to use the isotope information somewhere but I don't know where or how.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have already used the isotope information, 63.546g is the weighted average of the two isotopes

Ok I just got the from the periodic table. So the isotope information is unnecessary?

>63Cu (69.09% abundant) and 65Cu (30.91% abundant)
Means that a sample = 63 * 69.09/100 + 65 * 30.91/100 = 63.618
You should probably use this value in your calcs.

Related to Find Number of Neutrons in a Copper Bar given volume of bar?

1. How do I find the volume of a copper bar?

The volume of a copper bar can be found by measuring its length, width, and height and then multiplying them together. Alternatively, you can use a formula for the volume of a rectangular prism, which is V = lwh.

2. What is the formula for finding the number of neutrons in an element?

The formula for finding the number of neutrons in an element is: number of neutrons = atomic mass - atomic number. The atomic mass can be found on the periodic table, and the atomic number is the number of protons in the element.

3. How do I convert the volume of the copper bar into cubic meters?

To convert the volume of the copper bar from cubic centimeters (cm3) to cubic meters (m3), you can use the formula: volume in m3 = volume in cm3 / 1,000,000. Alternatively, you can use an online conversion tool or a conversion calculator.

4. Can I use the volume of the copper bar to find the number of neutrons in an isotope of copper?

Yes, you can use the volume of the copper bar to find the number of neutrons in an isotope of copper. The volume will give you the mass of the copper bar, which can be used to find the atomic mass of the isotope. Then, you can use the formula mentioned in question 2 to find the number of neutrons.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the number of neutrons in a copper bar?

The number of neutrons in a copper bar is solely determined by the isotope of copper. However, other factors such as impurities or isotopic fractionation can affect the number of neutrons in a sample of copper. These factors should be considered when conducting experiments or analyzing data involving copper.