Find the volume of the hexagonal-shaped plastic box

In summary, a chocolate company produces triangular chocolate bars with a length of x cm and a cross section that is an isosceles triangle. The base side of the cross section is 3 cm, the height is h cm, and the two base angles are 50 degrees. The company uses a hexagonal-shaped plastic box to pack 24 chocolate bars together. The question at hand is to find the volume of the hexagonal-shaped plastic box. However, there is not enough information given to determine the value of x and solve the problem.
angubk6
A chocolate company produces triangular chocolate bars. The length of the chocolate bar is x cm, and its cross section is an isosceles triangle. The length of the base side of the cross section is 3 cm, the height is h cm, and the two base angles are 50 degrees.
View attachment 9689

Moreover, the company uses a hexagonal-shaped plastic box to pack 24 chocolate bars together as shown in the figure below.
View attachment 9690

What is the volume of the hexagonal-shaped plastic box?

*I would like to apologize if I keep on editing the content of my problem. Originally, the question asked was to find the volume of the hexagonal shaped plastic box. In my opinion, I can only solved this if I will be able to find the volume of each triangular chocolate bars then multiply it by 24 (please correct me if my view was invalid). However, I am really having a hard time in solving for x.

Attachments

• CamScanner 04-18-2020 16.06.12_1.jpg
    CamScanner 04-18-2020 16.06.12_1.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 54
  • CamScanner 04-18-2020 21.51.28_1.jpg
    CamScanner 04-18-2020 21.51.28_1.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is it asking you for the height of the chocolate bar, or the side length?

Have you drawn a diagram?

$h = \dfrac{3}{2}\tan(50^\circ)$

You’ll need the bar’s volume to determine the length of the bar, $x$.

*I would like to apologize if I keep on editing the content of my problem. Originally, the question asked was to find the volume of the hexagonal shaped plastic box. In my opinion, I can only solved this if I will be able to find the volume of each triangular chocolate bars then multiply it by 24 (please correct me if my view was invalid). However, I am really having a hard time in solving for x.

What measurement information was given about the hexagonal box? As it sits, there is not enough information to determine $x$.

angubk6 said:

Post the entire problem to start with, with everything you have tried, and then we can actually help you!

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a hexagonal-shaped plastic box?

The formula for finding the volume of a hexagonal-shaped plastic box is V = 3√3/2 x a^2 x h, where a is the length of one side of the hexagon and h is the height of the box.

2. Can I use the same formula for finding the volume of any hexagonal-shaped box?

Yes, the formula for finding the volume of a hexagonal-shaped plastic box can be used for any hexagonal-shaped box, as long as the dimensions of the box are known.

3. How do I measure the length of one side of the hexagon?

The length of one side of the hexagon can be measured using a ruler or measuring tape. Make sure to measure from one vertex (corner) to the opposite vertex.

4. What unit of measurement should I use for the length and height of the box?

The length and height of the box can be measured in any unit, such as inches, centimeters, or meters. Just make sure to use the same unit for both measurements in the formula.

5. Is the volume of the hexagonal-shaped plastic box the same as its capacity?

Yes, the volume and capacity of a hexagonal-shaped plastic box are the same. Both terms refer to the amount of space inside the box.