Find parametric equations for the tangent line to the curve at t=1

In summary: And, of course, you can always "parametricize" the line by setting t= x-1= 3t+ 1, t= y= -cos t, and t= z-1= 2t+ 1.
DeadxBunny
Original question:

a) Say r'(t) = 3t^2 i - cost j + 2t k, and r(0) = i + k. Find r(t).
b) Find T(t).
c) Find parametric equations for the tangent line to the curve at t=1.

I have done parts a and b and got the following results:

a) r(t) = t^3 + 1 i - sint j + t^2 + 1 k
b)T(t) = r'(t)/|r'(t)| = (3t^2 i - cost j + 2t k)/(sqrt(9t^4 + cos^2(t) + 4t^2))

Are these answers correct so far? I'm unsure about my answer for T(t) because the denominator seems so messy.

Also, and most importantly, how would I do part (c)?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
DeadxBunny said:
Original question:

a) Say r'(t) = 3t^2 i - cost j + 2t k, and r(0) = i + k. Find r(t).
b) Find T(t).
c) Find parametric equations for the tangent line to the curve at t=1.

I have done parts a and b and got the following results:

a) r(t) = t^3 + 1 i - sint j + t^2 + 1 k
b)T(t) = r'(t)/|r'(t)| = (3t^2 i - cost j + 2t k)/(sqrt(9t^4 + cos^2(t) + 4t^2))
The component of the k-vector should be a primitive function of 2t. I`m sure this was a silly mistake, since you got it right for the i-vector.

T(t) is correct. It's just a matter of plugging in your equations.

For c), use T(t) and plug in t=1. That gives you the unit tangent, so you know the direction of the line. Then given that the line passes through the point r(1) you have enough info to determine the line.

It would be a good idea to put in parentheses:

r(t)= (t3+ 1)i- (sin t)j+ (t2+ 1)k

Assuming that by T(t) you mean the unit tangent vector, then your answer is correct- divide r' by its own length.

(c) is easy: you don't need the unit tangent vector, just "a" tangent vector and r' works nicely:

x= 3t2+ 1
y= -cos t
z= 2t+ 1

The "+1" terms are, of course, from r(0)= i+ k.

Help

I don't know how to make new threads! Well anyway, could someone help me with my parametric equation?

jazz_invincible said:
I don't know how to make new threads! Well anyway, could someone help me with my parametric equation?

Go back to the list of threads. At the bottom is a "new thread" button. As far as your "parametric equation" is concerned, we can't help you if you don't post it!

HallsofIvy said:
It would be a good idea to put in parentheses:

r(t)= (t3+ 1)i- (sin t)j+ (t2+ 1)k

Assuming that by T(t) you mean the unit tangent vector, then your answer is correct- divide r' by its own length.

(c) is easy: you don't need the unit tangent vector, just "a" tangent vector and r' works nicely:

x= 3t2+ 1
y= -cos t
z= 2t+ 1

The "+1" terms are, of course, from r(0)= i+ k.

Of course, those should be

x= 3t+ 1
y= -cos(1)t
z= 2t+ 1

What does it mean to find parametric equations for the tangent line to the curve at t=1?

Parametric equations for the tangent line to the curve at t=1 refer to a set of equations that describe the position, velocity, and acceleration of a point on the curve at a specific time, t=1. These equations can be used to determine the slope and direction of the tangent line at that point on the curve.

Why is it important to find parametric equations for the tangent line to the curve?

Finding parametric equations for the tangent line to the curve is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of the curve at a specific point. This information can be used to make predictions about the curve's future movement and to analyze its overall shape and characteristics.

What information is needed to find parametric equations for the tangent line to the curve?

To find parametric equations for the tangent line to the curve at t=1, we need to know the parametric equations for the curve itself, as well as the value of t at which we want to find the tangent line. We also need to know the slope and direction of the curve at that specific point.

How do you find the slope of the tangent line using parametric equations?

The slope of the tangent line can be found using the derivative of the parametric equations. To find the derivative, we use the chain rule and substitute the value of t=1 into the resulting equation to find the slope at that specific point.

Can parametric equations be used to find the tangent line at any point on a curve?

Yes, parametric equations can be used to find the tangent line at any point on a curve. However, the equations will differ depending on the specific value of t at which we want to find the tangent line. It is important to use the correct parametric equations and substitute the correct value of t to find the tangent line at a specific point.