Find restrictions on a>0 and b>0 that ensure that f(x_1,x_2) is concave.

• Thread starter Dostre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Concave
In summary, we discussed finding restrictions on a and b that ensure a function, defined as f(x_1,x_2)=x_1^a x_2^b, is concave. We can do this by looking at the principal minors of the Hessian of the function and making the first principal minor be less than or equal to zero and the second principal minor be greater than or equal to zero. From this, we found that the restrictions on a and b are 0 < a < 1 and 0 < b < 1. To test for joint concavity, we can look at the determinant of the Hessian, which is given by the expression ab(1-a-b). This means that the additional restriction
Dostre
Let $$f:\mathbb{R}_{+}^2 \rightarrow \mathbb{R}$$ be $$f(x_1,x_2)=x_1^a x_2^b$$ for $$a>0$$ and $$b>0$$ Find restrictions on a>0 and b>0 that ensure that f(x_1,x_2) is concave.

I tried solving this by finding the principal minors of the Hessian of this function and making first principal minor be less or equal to zero and second principal minor be greater or equal to zero(conditions for a function to be concave). It is easy with the first principal minor, but I cannot workout the second principal minor to have a strong inequality.

$$H(x)=\left| \begin{array}{cc} f_{xx} & f_{xy} \\ f_{yx} & f_{yy} \end{array} \right|$$
$$f_{xx}=\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x_1^2}=a(a-1)x_2^b x_1^{a-2}$$
$$f_{xy}=\frac{\partial^2f}{\partial x_1 \partial x_2}=ab x_1^{a-1} x_2^{b-1}$$
$$f_{yx}=\frac{\partial^2f}{\partial x_2 \partial x_1}=ab x_1^{a-1} x_2^{b-1}$$
$$f_{yy}=\frac{\partial^2f}{\partial x_2^2}=b(b-1)x_1^a x_2^{b-2}$$
First principal minor:
$$f_{xx}=a(a-1)x_2^b x_1^{a-2} \leq 0$$ restriction on a is $$a<1$$
Second principal minor:
$$f_{xx} f_{yy} - f_{xy} f_{yx} = ax_2^b (a-1) x_1^{a-2} bx_1^a (b-1)x_2^{b-2} - a^2 b^2 x_1^{2a-2} x_2^{2b-2} \geq 0$$ restriction on b?

I might have computed the second partial derivatives for the Hessian wrong, so if you can please try solving this problem from scratch.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dostre said:
Let $$f:\mathbb{R}_{+}^2 \rightarrow \mathbb{R}$$ be $$f(x_1,x_2)=x_1^a x_2^b$$ for $$a>0$$ and $$b>0$$ Find restrictions on a>0 and b>0 that ensure that f(x_1,x_2) is concave.

I tried solving this by finding the principal minors of the Hessian of this function and making first principal minor be less or equal to zero and second principal minor be greater or equal to zero(conditions for a function to be concave). It is easy with the first principal minor, but I cannot workout the second principal minor to have a strong inequality.

$$H(x)=\left| \begin{array}{cc} f_{xx} & f_{xy} \\ f_{yx} & f_{yy} \end{array} \right|$$
$$f_{xx}=\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x_1^2}=a(a-1)x_2^b x_1^{a-2}$$
$$f_{xy}=\frac{\partial^2f}{\partial x_1 \partial x_2}=ab x_1^{a-1} x_2^{b-1}$$
$$f_{yx}=\frac{\partial^2f}{\partial x_2 \partial x_1}=ab x_1^{a-1} x_2^{b-1}$$
$$f_{yy}=\frac{\partial^2f}{\partial x_2^2}=b(b-1)x_1^a x_2^{b-2}$$
First principal minor:
$$f_{xx}=a(a-1)x_2^b x_1^{a-2} \leq 0$$ restriction on a is $$a<1$$
Second principal minor:
$$f_{xx} f_{yy} - f_{xy} f_{yx} = ax_2^b (a-1) x_1^{a-2} bx_1^a (b-1)x_2^{b-2} - a^2 b^2 x_1^{2a-2} x_2^{2b-2} \geq 0$$ restriction on b?

I might have computed the second partial derivatives for the Hessian wrong, so if you can please try solving this problem from scratch.

f must be concave in x1 when x2 is held constant, so 0 < a < 1; f must be concave in x2 when x1 is held constant, so 0 < b < 1. To test whether f is jointly concave we need only look at the determinant of the Hessian, which you have computed already as
[tex] \det(H) = x_1^{2a-1} x_2^{2b-1}[a(a-1)b(b-1)-a^2b^2],[/tex] and [itex] [\cdot] = ab(1-a-b).[/itex] From that you can find the required extra restriction or restrictions on a and b.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
f must be concave in x1 when x2 is held constant, so 0 < a < 1; f must be concave in x2 when x1 is held constant, so 0 < b < 1. To test whether f is jointly concave we need only look at the determinant of the Hessian, which you have computed already as
[tex] \det(H) = x_1^{2a-1} x_2^{2b-1}[a(a-1)b(b-1)-a^2b^2],[/tex] and [itex] [\cdot] = ab(1-a-b).[/itex] From that you can find the required extra restriction or restrictions on a and b.

RGV

Yeah the expression [itex] [\cdot] = ab(1-a-b)[/itex] is exactly what I need, but when I expand [tex] [a(a-1)b(b-1)-a^2b^2],[/tex] I get ab-a-b. I am making some kind of mistake. Can you show me how [tex][a(a-1)b(b-1)-a^2b^2]=ab(1-a-b)[/tex] .

Last edited:
Dostre said:
Yeah the expression [itex] [\cdot] = ab(1-a-b)[/itex] is exactly what I need, but when I expand [tex] [a(a-1)b(b-1)-a^2b^2],[/tex] I get ab-a-b. I am making some kind of mistake. Can you show me how [tex][a(a-1)b(b-1)-a^2b^2]=ab(1-a-b)[/tex] .

Here it is in Maple:
p:=a*(1-a)*b*(1-b)-a^2*b^2;
2 2
p := a (1 - a) b (1 - b) - a b
expand(p);
2 2
a b - a b - a b

Or, you can just do the algebra yourself.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
Here it is in Maple:
p:=a*(1-a)*b*(1-b)-a^2*b^2;
2 2
p := a (1 - a) b (1 - b) - a b
expand(p);
2 2
a b - a b - a b

Or, you can just do the algebra yourself.

RGV

Ok I see now. Thank you. You was very helpful.

Related to Find restrictions on a>0 and b>0 that ensure that f(x_1,x_2) is concave.

1. What is a concave function?

A concave function is a type of function in mathematics that has a curved shape and is always "bowed" downward. This means that as you move along the graph from left to right, the function is always decreasing or staying the same.

2. How can I tell if a function is concave?

A function can be concave if its second derivative is negative for all values of x. In other words, the slope of the function is always decreasing or staying the same as you move along the graph from left to right.

3. Why is it important to find restrictions for a and b in order for f(x1,x2) to be concave?

If a and b do not have the appropriate restrictions, then the function f(x1,x2) may not have a concave shape. This can affect the accuracy of mathematical models and predictions, as well as the validity of certain mathematical proofs.

4. What are the restrictions on a and b for f(x1,x2) to be concave?

The restrictions on a and b for f(x1,x2) to be concave are that both a and b must be greater than 0. This ensures that the second derivative of the function is always negative, and therefore, the function is concave.

5. Are there any other ways to determine if a function is concave besides finding restrictions for a and b?

Yes, there are other methods such as graphing the function and observing its shape, or using the first and second derivative tests to determine the concavity of a function at a specific point. However, finding restrictions for a and b is a straightforward and reliable way to ensure a function is concave.