Find scattered flux density

In summary, an unpolarized ruby laser with a uniform flux density F0 at 0.7 μm is projected vertically into the sky to measure atmospheric density. A detector located 10 km away receives scattered flux density from air molecules, assuming a scattering cross section of 1.6*10^-27 cm^2 and neglecting multiple scattering. The scattered flux density at 6 and 10 km for a detector with a field of view of 0.05 rad is approximately F0l*1.37*10-11 at 10 km. However, the geometry of the observation and the power output and beam divergence of the laser are not specified, making it difficult to accurately calculate the scattered flux density.
Earthland

Homework Statement

[/B]
An unpolarized ruby laser operated at 0.7 μm is projected vertically into a clear sky to investigate the density of the atmosphere. A detector located 10 km from the base of the laser is used to receive the flux density scattered from the laser beam by air molecules. Assuming that the laser output has a uniform distribution of flux density F0 across the beam (i.e., I0 = F0sr), and neglecting the effects of multiple scattering, find the scattered flux density at 6 and 10 km received by a detector whose field of view in a plane is 0.05 rad. Use scattering cross section σs = 1.6*10-27 cm2

Answer given:

F≅F0l*1.37*10-11 (at 10 km)

Homework Equations

Scattered flux density is calculated as I*ΔΩ.

I = (I0/r2 )*σs*P(θ)/4π

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Let the field of view in a plane be Δ=0.05 rad.

Then ΔΩ should be ΔΩ=πΔ2/4

P(θ) = 3/4 * (1+cos2(θ))=3/4

However, if I try to calculate

(F0/π*r2 )*σs*(3/16π)*πΔ2/4

where r = 10km, the answer would be something like ~10-40

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm having a little trouble understanding the geometry of this one. How is the scattered beam being observed? .05 rad in a plane=how high does this extend? Is it a square/circular .05 or does it follow the whole beam over an extended distance? I also see no info on the power output and beam divergence of the ruby laser.

1. What is "find scattered flux density"?

"Find scattered flux density" is a scientific term used to describe the amount of electromagnetic radiation that has been scattered by particles or objects in a given area. It is a measure of the intensity of scattered light or other forms of radiation.

2. How is scattered flux density measured?

Scattered flux density can be measured using various instruments such as spectrometers, radiometers, or photometers. These instruments measure the intensity of scattered radiation at different wavelengths or frequencies, which can then be used to calculate the scattered flux density.

3. What factors affect scattered flux density?

Several factors can affect scattered flux density, including the type and size of the scattering particles, the wavelength or frequency of the incident radiation, and the angle of observation. Other factors such as the composition and density of the medium through which the radiation travels can also have an impact.

4. Why is the study of scattered flux density important?

The study of scattered flux density is important because it provides valuable information about the properties of matter in the universe. It can help scientists understand the composition and structure of objects such as dust clouds, planetary atmospheres, and interstellar medium. It also plays a crucial role in remote sensing and atmospheric studies.

5. How is scattered flux density used in scientific research?

Scattered flux density is used in a variety of scientific research fields, including astrophysics, atmospheric science, and materials science. It is used to study the properties of different types of matter, the dynamics of scattering processes, and the interactions between radiation and matter. It is also used in the development of new technologies such as lidar and radar systems.