Find second object's velocity in relativity

In summary, In a decay of a particle of mass M at rest into two particles with masses m1 and m2 traveling in opposite directions, the velocity of one particle (v2) can be expressed in terms of the velocity of the other particle (v1), m1, m2, and M using the conservation of relativistic momentum and the concept of relativistic mass is outdated and not applicable in this scenario.
Istiak
Homework Statement
A particle of mass M at rest decays into two particles of masses m1 and m2 travelling in
opposite directions at velocity v1 and v2 respectively. Express v2 in terms of v1, m1, m2, and M.
Relevant Equations
##m=\frac{m_0}{\sqrt{1-(\frac{v}{c})^2}}##
> A particle of mass M at rest decays into two particles of masses m1 and m2 traveling in opposite directions at velocity v1 and v2 respectively. Express v2 in terms of v1, m1, m2, and M.

Since both objects are from a single object that's why I took relativistic mass of both objects are same. I was thinking if there's some other simple equation to solve this but I couldn't find it.

##\frac{m_2}{\sqrt{1-(\frac{v_2}{c})^2}}=\frac{m_1}{\sqrt{1-(\frac{v_1}{c})^2}}##
After rearranging the equation I get

##\frac{m_2}{m_1}=\frac{\sqrt{c^2-v_2^2}}{\sqrt{c^2-v_1^2}}##

But that's not the correct answer. So what's the correct one? What the concept should be to solve the question?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Likes Istiak
Orodruin said:
Gather all places in your mind where relativistic mass occurs and wipe them clean. It is a concept that is quite deprecated. If you need to use something similar, the total energy of the object will do. See https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/what-is-relativistic-mass-and-why-it-is-not-used-much/

It is not the case that the energy of both particles need to be the same after the decay. Do you know any other conservation laws that may be applicable?
Thanks. Relativistic momentum was helpful. I got what I was looking for. And I knew that <a href="https://physics.codidact.com/posts/285324">Relativistic mass is outdated</a> but I couldn't think much that moment while solving that problem that's why I randomly took rel mass but at first sight I was looking for relativistic velocity, but that wasn't good idea tough.

1. How is the velocity of a second object calculated in relativity?

The velocity of a second object in relativity is calculated using the relativistic velocity addition formula, which takes into account the relative velocities of the two objects and the speed of light. This formula is necessary because the laws of classical mechanics do not apply in the realm of relativity.

2. Is the velocity of a second object affected by the velocity of the first object?

Yes, the velocity of a second object is affected by the velocity of the first object in relativity. This is due to the fact that in relativity, the concept of absolute velocity does not exist, and all velocities are relative to the observer.

3. How does the velocity of a second object change in different frames of reference?

The velocity of a second object will appear differently in different frames of reference due to the effects of time dilation and length contraction. These effects are a result of the relativity of simultaneity and the constant speed of light, which cause objects to appear to move at different speeds depending on the observer's frame of reference.

4. Can the velocity of a second object exceed the speed of light in relativity?

No, according to the principles of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel. Therefore, the velocity of a second object cannot exceed the speed of light in relativity.

5. How does the concept of time affect the calculation of a second object's velocity in relativity?

The concept of time plays a crucial role in the calculation of a second object's velocity in relativity. Time is relative and can appear differently to different observers depending on their relative velocities. This means that the measurement of time must be taken into account when calculating the velocity of a second object in relativity.