Find Speed of Gayle & Brother on Sled After Descent from Hill

• Thread starter VelvetRebel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the problem involves a sled initially at rest on a hill and Gayle running down the hill at a speed of 4.23 m/s. After descending 5.03 m, her brother jumps on her back and they continue down the hill together. With a total vertical drop of 14.1 m, the question is what their speed will be at the bottom of the hill. Using conservation of momentum and energy, it can be determined that Gayle's speed before her brother jumps on is needed to calculate their final speed.
VelvetRebel

Homework Statement

Gayle runs at a speed of 4.23 m/s and dives on a sled, which is initially at rest on the top of a frictionless snow-covered hill. After she has descended a vertical distance of 5.03 m, her brother, who is initially at rest, hops on her back and together they continue down the hill. What is their speed at the bottom of the hill if the total vertical drop is 14.1 m? Gayle's mass is 46.8 kg, the sled has a mass of 4.95 kg and her brother has a mass of 26.9 kg.

Homework Equations

conservation of momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start. I don't understand on where to incorporate the height into the problem. All I know is that you have to apply the conservation of momentum somewhere. I'm also assuming this is a totally inelastic situation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you will use conservation of momentum but determining the speeds upon "collision" will require conservation of energy to determine her/their speeds at various heights on the mountain. You need to determine her speed right before her little brother jumps on, and she will increase her speed due to her change in potential from the top.

Oh wow. That was really simple. Thanks for the help.

Related to Find Speed of Gayle & Brother on Sled After Descent from Hill

1. How can I calculate the speed of Gayle and her brother on a sled after descending from a hill?

The speed of an object can be calculated using the formula: speed = distance / time. To find the speed of Gayle and her brother on a sled, you will need to know the distance they traveled and the time it took them to travel that distance.

2. What factors affect the speed of Gayle and her brother on a sled?

The speed of an object can be affected by various factors such as the slope of the hill, the weight of the sled and its riders, the type of surface they are sliding on, and any external forces such as wind resistance. These factors can either increase or decrease the speed of the sled.

3. Is the speed of Gayle and her brother on a sled constant throughout the descent?

No, the speed of the sled will change throughout the descent depending on the factors mentioned above. For example, if the slope of the hill increases, the speed of the sled will also increase. Similarly, if the weight of the sled and its riders increases, the speed will decrease.

4. How can I measure the speed of Gayle and her brother on a sled?

The speed of the sled can be measured using a speedometer, a radar gun, or by timing how long it takes to travel a certain distance. These methods can provide an accurate measurement of the sled's speed.

5. Can the speed of Gayle and her brother on a sled be affected by their body positions?

Yes, the body positions of Gayle and her brother can affect the speed of the sled. For example, if they crouch down and reduce their air resistance, the sled will be able to travel faster. On the other hand, if they sit upright, their body will create more wind resistance, slowing down the sled.