Find Stationary Points of f(x,y) Under Constraint x^3+y^3+6xy=8

• MHB
  • Thread starter Petrus
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the problem is to find the stationary points of the function f(x,y)=x^3y^3 under the constraint x^3+y^3+6xy=8. The solution is obtained using Lagrange multipliers and leads to the same critical points as the solution provided. It is not necessary to consider the points where the gradient of the constraint is zero in this type of problem.
Petrus
Hello MHB,This is an old exam I got a question,
Decide all stationary points to function \(\displaystyle f(x,y)=x^3y^3\) under constraint \(\displaystyle x^3+y^3+6xy=8\)So basicly this is how they Solved it and I did so as well but I Also have learned that there is stationary point where gardient of constraint is equal to zero
111331d.jpg

I am aware that you guys Dont understand but it's nr 3 and are those the stationary points or they forgot when gradient of constraint is equal to zero which gives Also this point \(\displaystyle (0,0)\) and \(\displaystyle (2,-2)\)

Edit:svar means answer so are those point correct or?
Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Physics news on Phys.org
I would use Lagrange multipliers for this problem.

The objective function is:

\(\displaystyle f(x,y)=x^3y^3\)

subject to the constraint:

\(\displaystyle g(x,y)=x^3+y^3+6xy-8=0\)

So, we obtain the system:

\(\displaystyle 3x^2y^3=\lambda\left(3x^2+6y \right)\)

\(\displaystyle 3x^3y^2=\lambda\left(3y^2+6x \right)\)

Solving both for $\lambda$ and equating, we find:

\(\displaystyle \lambda=\frac{x^2y^3}{x^2+2y}=\frac{x^3y^2}{y^2+2x}\)

\(\displaystyle x^2y^3\left(y^2+2x \right)=x^3y^2\left(x^2+2y \right)\)

\(\displaystyle x^2y^2\left(y\left(y^2+2x \right)-x\left(x^2+2y \right) \right)=0\)

\(\displaystyle x^2y^2\left(y^3+2xy-x^3-2xy \right)=0\)

\(\displaystyle x^2y^2\left(y^3-x^3 \right)=0\)

This leads to the same critical points as the solution you have. You don't consider where the gradient of the constraint is zero in such problems.

Related to Find Stationary Points of f(x,y) Under Constraint x^3+y^3+6xy=8

1. What is the definition of a stationary point?

A stationary point is a point on a graph where the derivative of the function is equal to zero.

2. How do you find the stationary points of a function?

To find the stationary points of a function, you can set the derivative of the function equal to zero and solve for the variables. This will give you the x and y values of the stationary points.

3. What is the constraint in this problem?

The constraint in this problem is x^3+y^3+6xy=8. This means that the x and y values of the function must satisfy this equation in addition to finding the stationary points.

4. Can there be multiple stationary points for this function under the given constraint?

Yes, there can be multiple stationary points for this function under the given constraint. Since the constraint is a curve, there can be multiple points on the curve where the derivative is equal to zero.

5. How do you know if a stationary point is a maximum, minimum, or saddle point?

To determine if a stationary point is a maximum, minimum, or saddle point, you can use the second derivative test. If the second derivative is positive, the stationary point is a minimum. If the second derivative is negative, the stationary point is a maximum. If the second derivative is zero, the test is inconclusive and the point may be a saddle point.