Find Symmetrical Components of 5-Phase System

• Thread starter danilorj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Components
In summary, the symmetrical components of a 5-phase system consist of 5 components: I1 (positive sequence), I2, I3, I4 (negative sequence), and I0 (zero sequence). These components are found by taking every 2nd, 3rd, and n-1th phase in addition to the positive and zero sequences. This information can be found in the article "Symmetrical Components" by Wagner & Evans, 1933, and can also be used in systems with phases different from 3, such as 5-phase systems.
danilorj
I wonder if someone can help me how to find the symmetrical components of a 5-phase system. What would be the positive and negative sequences? I'm saying this because in a 3-phase system I can find the positive, negative and zero sequence in function of line currents.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you tried your self?

check out wikipedia

Or the famous article by Fortescue

As a push in the right direction, how many balanced systems (sequences) do you need?

I have no reference on doing fortescue transformation for system with phases different from 3.

In fact, I'm trying to perform this using simulink, but it does not have any block with phases different from three. So I don't know how to watch the qd0 -waveforms of a synchronous machine with 5-phase .

See "Symmetrical Components" by Wagner & Evans, 1933, still in print.

Claude

danilorj said:
I wonder if someone can help me how to find the symmetrical components of a 5-phase system. What would be the positive and negative sequences? I'm saying this because in a 3-phase system I can find the positive, negative and zero sequence in function of line currents.

With 3-phase there are 3 components, I1 (positive, A-B-C), I2 (negative, C-B-A), and I0 (zero, all 3 in unison), called "sequences".

With 5-phase there are 5 components. They are I1 (positive, A-B-C-D-E), I2 (A-C-E-B-D). I3 (A-D-B-E-C), I4 (negative, E-D-C-B-A), and I0 (zero, all 5 in unison).

In general for n phases there will be n sets of phasors. No. 1 is the positive sequence, having the same rotation as the overall system, i.e. A, B, C, etc. No. 2 is the next set where the sequence is every 2nd phase, i.e. A-C-E-G, etc. No. 3 is next, with sequence A-D-G, etc. which is every 3rd phase. The next to last set is no. "n-1" which is negative sequence, i.e. n, n-1, n-2, ---, C, B, A. Finally we have zero sequence, all n phases in unison.

Claude

Last edited:

Related to Find Symmetrical Components of 5-Phase System

1. What is a 5-phase system?

A 5-phase system is a type of electrical power system that has 5 phases or conductors instead of the traditional 3 phases found in most power systems. It is used in some industrial and commercial applications where higher reliability and stability are required.

2. Why do we need to find symmetrical components of a 5-phase system?

Finding the symmetrical components of a 5-phase system is important for analyzing and understanding the behavior of the system. It helps in fault detection, protection, and power flow calculations.

3. How is the symmetrical components method applied to a 5-phase system?

The symmetrical components method involves breaking down the 5-phase system into three sets of symmetrical components - positive, negative, and zero sequence components. This allows for easier analysis and calculation of the system's behavior.

4. What are the benefits of using the symmetrical components method for 5-phase systems?

The symmetrical components method offers several benefits for 5-phase systems, including a simpler analysis process, improved fault detection and protection, and better understanding of the system's behavior under different operating conditions.

5. Are there any limitations to using the symmetrical components method for 5-phase systems?

One limitation of the symmetrical components method for 5-phase systems is that it assumes a balanced system, meaning equal magnitude and phase angle for each of the 5 phases. This may not always be the case in real-world systems and can affect the accuracy of the results.