Find the angle X inside a pentagon with a square

In summary, the interior angles of a pentagon add up to 540 degrees. So if you think of this pentagon as a regular pentagon with all 5 sides equal, then the interior would be 108 degrees. The side with the angle X (the shortest side) is slanted, and this information can be found in a diagram.
mathlearn
003.jpg
If the the question is too small , Please be kind enough to read it from here Question

The interior angles of a pentagon add up to 540 degrees. So thinking that this is a regular pentagon with all 5 sides equal an interior would be 108 degrees.

And speaking of the square All four sides are equal and all 4 angles are 0 degrees.

Could have easily found X if the the side with the angle X (shortest side) was a straight line.It could be said using angles on a straight line add up to 180.

But the line seems to be slanted.

I included the information in a diagram,

Untitledpen.png

Any Ideas on How to begin ?

Many Thanks :)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey mathlearn! ;)

Can we already find one of the other angles in the small triangle that contains x?
What kind of triangle is it anyway?

It looks like that side of the pentagon and the side of the square are equal at a glance , But don't know whether it's correct. If I'm correct then it would be an isosceles triangle

Then this will be the result

2qcju68.png

Last edited:
mathlearn said:
It looks like that side of the pentagon and the side of the square are equal at a glance , But don't know whether it's correct. If I'm correct then it would be an isosceles triangle

Then this will be the result

The sides of the square have the same length.
The sides of the pentagon have the same length.
One side of the square has the same length as the corresponding side of the pentagon.
So yes, those sides are indeed equal. :)

Can we say anything about the small angle in the triangle?

As the interior angles of the pentagon add up to 540 degrees. So One angle should be equal to 108 degrees. Correct I guess ?

I like Serena said:
The sides of the square have the same length.

Can we say anything about the small angle in the triangle?

:) Yes the small angle of the triangle would be 108(int. angle of the pentagon)=90(int. angle of the square)-(the small angle)

108-90 =small angle
18 degrees = small angle

2ef8epl.jpg

So 180 (interior angles of a triangle add up to 180 ) = 2x + 18
180 -18 = 2x
162 = 2x
81 = x

1. How do I find the missing angle X inside a pentagon with a square?

The first step is to draw a diagram of the pentagon with the square inside it. Then, use the given information to identify any angles that are already known. Next, use the fact that the sum of the angles in a pentagon is 540 degrees to find the total measure of the known angles. Finally, subtract the total measure from 540 degrees to find the missing angle X.

2. Can I use any special formulas to find the angle X?

Yes, you can use the formula for finding the sum of the interior angles of a pentagon (540 degrees) or the formula for finding the sum of the interior angles of a square (360 degrees) to help you find the missing angle X. Additionally, you can use the formula for finding the measure of an individual angle in a regular pentagon or square.

3. Do I need to know the measurements of the sides of the pentagon and square to find angle X?

No, you do not need to know the specific measurements of the sides of the pentagon and square to find the missing angle X. As long as you have enough information about the angles within the shapes, you can use formulas to solve for X.

4. Can I use trigonometry to find the angle X in a pentagon with a square?

Yes, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent to find the angle X in a pentagon with a square. However, this method may be more complex and time-consuming compared to using basic geometry and formulas.

5. Is there only one possible value for angle X in a pentagon with a square?

No, there can be multiple values for angle X in a pentagon with a square, depending on the given information. For example, if you know the measure of one angle, you can use the formula for finding the measure of an individual angle in a regular pentagon to find the other possible values for X.