What is the Angular Speed of a Rod Pivoted at One End?

In summary: PE.1/2 I w^2 is a formula for KE.You need to express one of these as a function of the other, so that you can solve for w. That is, you need to express the PE at the higher point in terms of w. Can you do that?In summary, a uniform rod with a mass of 1.5 kg and length of 2.0 m is pivoted about a horizontal, frictionless pin through one end. It is released from rest in a horizontal position and makes an angle of 30 degrees with the horizontal. To find the angular speed of the rod, the formula mg(H intial - H final) = 1/2 I w
fight_club_alum

Homework Statement

A uniform rod (mass = 1.5 kg) is 2.0 m long. The rod is pivoted about a horizontal, frictionless pin through one end. The rod is released from rest in a horizontal position. What is the angular speed of the rod when the rod makes an angle of 30 degrees with the horizontal? (The moment of inertia of the rod about the pin is 2 kg m^2)

Homework Equations

mg(H intial - H final) =1/2 I w^2

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt:
M = 1.5 kg
L = 2 m
Moment of inertia (I) = 2 kg m^2
1.5 x 9.8 x 2sin(30) = 1/2 x 2 x w^2
w^2 = 14.7
w = 3.64

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
fight_club_alum said:
A uniform rod (mass = 1.5 kg) is 2.0 m long. The rod is pivoted about a horizontal, frictionless pin through one end. The rod is released from rest in a horizontal position. What is the angular speed of the rod when the rod makes an angle of 30 degrees with the horizontal? (The moment of inertia of the rod about the pin is 2 kg m^2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt:
M = 1.5 kg
L = 2 m
Moment of inertia (I) = 2 kg m^2
1.5 x 9.8 x 2sin(30) = 1/2 x 2 x w^2
w^2 = 14.7
w = 3.64[/B]
So you seem to think that (H intial - H final) = 2sin(30)
How about a diagram?
Especially to show the movement of the centre of mass.

Merlin3189 said:
So you seem to think that (H intial - H final) = 2sin(30)
How about a diagram?
Especially to show the movement of the centre of mass.
I see my mistake so I should always use the center of mass to determine the angular acceleration or speed?
Thank you

Well, I don't know about 'always'. But here, mgh represents the change in gravitational PE as the rod changes position.
Although the free end of the rod falls 1 m, the other end does not fall at all. So you can't say all the mass of the rod has fallen 1 m.
We simplify the calculation by using the centre of mass concept, which sums up the vertical movement of all the bits of rod.

This will not work for the angular momentum: you can't treat the rod as having all its mass at the centre of mass when calculating angular momentum. This is obvious if you think about it rotating about its own CoM: it still has angular momentum even though the product of mass x distance from axis is zero.

In fact the angular momentum of an object about a particular axis is thought of in two parts: the angular momentum of the object about its own CoM, which is given by the moment of inertia, plus the angular momentum of the CoM about the given axis. (If the given axis is through the CoG, then the second part is zero, but not the first.)

So for the other part of your calculation (which you glossed over and didn't mention in the "Relevant Formulae" part of the template) is, what is the formula for rotational KE?

Merlin3189 said:
Well, I don't know about 'always'. But here, mgh represents the change in gravitational PE as the rod changes position.
Although the free end of the rod falls 1 m, the other end does not fall at all. So you can't say all the mass of the rod has fallen 1 m.
We simplify the calculation by using the centre of mass concept, which sums up the vertical movement of all the bits of rod.

This will not work for the angular momentum: you can't treat the rod as having all its mass at the centre of mass when calculating angular momentum. This is obvious if you think about it rotating about its own CoM: it still has angular momentum even though the product of mass x distance from axis is zero.

In fact the angular momentum of an object about a particular axis is thought of in two parts: the angular momentum of the object about its own CoM, which is given by the moment of inertia, plus the angular momentum of the CoM about the given axis. (If the given axis is through the CoG, then the second part is zero, but not the first.)

So for the other part of your calculation (which you glossed over and didn't mention in the "Relevant Formulae" part of the template) is, what is the formula for rotational KE?
I think I mentioned
So, KE = 1/2 x I x w^2

Sorry, so you did.
However, it might help you to step back from the "Equation" and thnk about the formulae you've used.

mg(H intial - H final) is the formula for change in gravitational PE (I'll guess that m is mass, g is accn due to gravity and H is height)

1/2 I w^2 is the formula for the rotational KE of an object rotating about its own CoM (assuming that I is the moment of inertia and w the angular speed)

Now that it is stated clearly, can you see the flaw?

Merlin3189 said:
Sorry, so you did.
However, it might help you to step back from the "Equation" and thnk about the formulae you've used.

mg(H intial - H final) is the formula for change in gravitational PE (I'll guess that m is mass, g is accn due to gravity and H is height)

1/2 I w^2 is the formula for the rotational KE of an object rotating about its own CoM (assuming that I is the moment of inertia and w the angular speed)

Now that it is stated clearly, can you see the flaw?
Yes I see thank you so much I will pay more attention to the meaning in the future

Aaarghh! I've just noticed, I'm wrong about the moment of inertia.

Your question specified that it is the moment of inertia.about the pin at the end of the rod. So they've taken that into account and that part of your formula is correct.

Sorry about that. I must have been in a mental rut about CoM and pivot points from looking at the first bit.

Merlin3189 said:
Aaarghh! I've just noticed, I'm wrong about the moment of inertia.

Your question specified that it is the moment of inertia.about the pin at the end of the rod. So they've taken that into account and that part of your formula is correct.

Sorry about that. I must have been in a mental rut about CoM and pivot points from looking at the first bit.
It's ok no problem

1. What is angular speed?

Angular speed, also known as angular velocity, is the measure of how quickly an object rotates or moves around a fixed point. It is usually measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

2. How is angular speed different from linear speed?

Angular speed is a measurement of how fast an object is rotating, while linear speed is a measurement of how fast an object is moving in a straight line. Angular speed takes into account the distance from the center of rotation, while linear speed does not.

3. How do you calculate angular speed?

Angular speed can be calculated by dividing the angle through which an object has rotated by the time it took to rotate that angle. The formula for angular speed is: ω = θ/t, where ω is the angular speed in radians per second, θ is the angular displacement in radians, and t is the time in seconds.

4. What factors affect angular speed?

The factors that affect angular speed include the radius of the circle or distance from the center of rotation, the applied force or torque, and the mass of the object. These factors can change the velocity or speed of the rotation.

5. How is angular speed used in real life?

Angular speed is used in various applications, such as in machines and engines where rotation is involved, like car engines and turbines. It is also used in sports, such as figure skating and gymnastics, to measure the speed of rotation. In addition, angular speed is used in navigation systems and astronomy to measure the speed and movement of celestial bodies.