Find the average force of friction

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the average force of friction on a 5kg box that is tossed across the floor at 4 m/s and slides to a stop in 3 seconds. The formula used is impulse, f*t, and it can also be calculated using the equation f=m*a. The final answer is 6.66N. The conversation also touches on the importance of keeping the force as an unknown variable to solve for it accurately.
keithcuda

Homework Statement

A 5kg box is tossed across the floor at 4 m/s and slides to a stop in 3 seconds. What is the average force of friction?

Homework Equations

I believe the answer is 6.66N, I found that because the problem was pulled from the book. But I am trying to understand how and why. What formula is used, so if I come across it again, I have a better understanding to figure it out.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You can calculate the initial momentum of the box. The momentum of the box is zero when it stops moving. What formula relates force to a change in momentum?

Stephen Tashi said:
You can calculate the initial momentum of the box. The momentum of the box is zero when it stops moving. What formula relates force to a change in momentum?
That would be impulse, f*t
and f=m*a
so the impulse would be, (m*a)*t
impulse=(5*(4/3))*3=20

Last edited:
keithcuda said:
and f=m*a
impulse=(5*(4/3))*3=20
keithcuda said:
and f=m*a
impulse=(5*(4/3))*3=20

Yes, if you use 4/3 as average acceleration. However, to solve for average F in equation for impulse, you'd do better to keep F as an unknown instead of writting it as m*a. To solve for F using F = m*a , you could claim that average force = mass * average acceleration.

Stephen Tashi said:
Yes, if you use 4/3 as average acceleration. However, to solve for average F in equation for impulse, you'd do better to keep F as an unknown instead of writting it as m*a. To solve for F using F = m*a , you could claim that average force = mass * average acceleration.
OK, so then I know that t=3, and I(impulse)=20, If F is unknown then F=I/T= 6.66N

keithcuda said:
OK, so then I know that t=3, and I(impulse)=20, If F is unknown then F=I/T= 6.66N

Yes

Likes keithcuda
Thank you for the help. I greatly appreciate it :)

1. What is the formula for finding the average force of friction?

The formula for finding the average force of friction is μN, where μ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force.

2. How do you calculate the normal force?

The normal force is equal to the weight of an object on a surface. It can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

3. What is the role of the coefficient of friction in finding the average force of friction?

The coefficient of friction represents the roughness or smoothness of the surfaces in contact. It is a constant value that is used to calculate the force of friction.

4. Can the average force of friction be negative?

Yes, the average force of friction can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the applied force. This indicates that the friction is acting in the opposite direction of the motion.

5. How does the surface area affect the average force of friction?

The surface area does not directly affect the average force of friction. However, a larger surface area can distribute the force of friction over a larger area, potentially reducing the overall force. This is why wider tires on a vehicle can provide better traction and reduce the force of friction.