Find the average power absorbed by a specific resistor in circuit

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the average power absorbed by the 2Ω resistor in the circuit.
Color_of_Cyan

Homework Statement

http://imageshack.us/a/img850/788/yk72.jpg

Find the average power absorbed by the 2Ω resistor in the circuit (pictured above)

Homework Equations

Average power = (1/2)(Imax)(Vmax)(cosø)

x=rcosθ
y=rsinθ

current division, voltage division

The Attempt at a Solution

So trying to get total impedance, first I get this (2 || -2j):

http://imageshack.us/a/img30/5500/wpwn.jpg

then this (1-1j + 2j):

http://imageshack.us/a/img856/1788/u357.jpg

then (1 +1j) || 4

= (1/1+1j + 1/4)-1

= (5 + 1j)/(4 + 4j)-1

= (4 + 4j)/(5 + 1j)

multiplying by conjugate (5 - 1j)/(5 - 1j) got me

= (24 + 16j)/24

Z total = 0.923 + 0.6153j

Z total = (1.109 ∠ 33.68°)Ω

I total = (6∠0)/(1.109 ∠ 33.68°)

I total = (5.41 ∠ -33.68A)

doing current division, current in the middle branch is:

I = (5.41 ∠ -33.68)*(4 / [5 + 1j] )

I = (5.41 ∠ -33.68)*(4∠0 / 5.099 ∠ 11.3)

I = (4.243 ∠ -45°)A in mid branch

Then doing current division again where 2 || -2j, the current through the 2Ω would be

I = (4.243 ∠ -45°)A * (-2j/[2 - 2j] )

I = (4.243 ∠ -45°)A * (2 ∠ -90 / 2.82 ∠ -45)

I = (3.009 ∠ -90°)A through the 2Ω

For the voltage across the 2Ω it's

V = (6 ∠ 0)*( [1-1j]/[1 + 1j] )

V = (6 ∠ 0)*(1.41∠-45 / 1.41∠45)

V = (6∠-90°)V across the 2Ω resistor

So now I have

Pavg = (1/2)*(6)(3.009)*cosø

So my only question is, how to find ø? Is it the angle of total impedance of the whole circuit or just of the 2Ω resistor?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that 6|_0 is the value for voltage source. here 6 is the rms value of voltage
in the branch near this voltage source, impedance is 1+1j as calculated by you. let z1= 1+1j
The voltage source is connected across this z1.
let v= 6|_0.
complex power consumed by the brach is v^2/z1. do it with scientific calculator. since only one(2 ohm) resistor is present in the branch, the real part of the complex power gives the average value of power consumed by the resistor.

The symbol for the source in your diagram is not very common. Can you confirm that it is a voltage source rather than a current source? Usually an arrow (or arrow-like symbol) included inside a circle or diamond shape implies a current source.

If it is indeed a voltage source, what's the corresponding symbol for a current source in your symbol system?

Yes it's a voltage source. I've edited the starting problem image to show exactly how it looked on the original question now. Is it still RMS value?

Color_of_Cyan said:
Yes it's a voltage source. I've edited the starting problem image to show exactly how it looked on the original question now. Is it still RMS value?

I believe that that would make it a current source. The circle with an arrow inside of it is a standard one for a current source.

It still says 'V' as if it were a voltage source though. I'm not too sure what it means, but that's exactly how it's given (along with the arrow though).

Color_of_Cyan said:
It still says 'V' as if it were a voltage source though. I'm not too sure what it means, but that's exactly how it's given (along with the arrow though).

Very strange. It's marked "6 ∠0° V" beside it?

Yes. I'll try it over as a current source then and get back to you.

Sorry for getting back to this late..

Okay it looks like it was a typo on the Professor's part or whoever printed it (it's printed on a paper not from a textbook but probably copied over wrong or something. Whatever.)

Even if it's a current source, the impedance in the circuit is still the same. So,

Z total is still = (1.109 ∠ 33.68°)Ω assuming I still found this correctly

total voltage is V = IZ, so

Vtot = (6 ∠ 0)*(1.109 ∠ 33.68)

Vtot = (6.654 ∠ 33.68)V

Then, doing the same methods as before (current and voltage divisions) I got

I = (4.706∠-11.3)A in middle wire

I = (3.337∠-56.3)A for the 2Ω

V = (6.654∠-56.32)V across the 2Ω

Pavg = (1/2)(6.654)(3.337)cosø

average power is still be without an angle for cos though, what would it be? The total impedance of the circuit?

As soon as you have found the current in the 2Ω resistor of interest you are finished. Just I2 R and you're done. :smile: Power doesn't have an angle.

Whatever means you use to arrive at the voltage across the resistor (or any resistor, for that matter), it must always have the same angle as that resistor's current. So once you have determined one, you have as good as determined the other, just apply Ohm's Law (merely a scaling factor).

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Thought there was a difference between power and average power?

Got 22W for that then

Color_of_Cyan said:
Thought there was a difference between power and average power?
That is indeed true. Instantaneous power in the resistor does vary sinusoidally, and it does so at double the frequency of the voltage and current sinusoids.

p(t) = v(t).i(t)

1. What is the formula for calculating average power absorbed by a resistor in a circuit?

The formula for calculating average power absorbed by a resistor in a circuit is P = V * I, where P is power, V is voltage, and I is current. This formula is derived from Ohm's Law, which states that voltage is equal to current multiplied by resistance.

2. How do you determine the voltage and current values for a specific resistor in a circuit?

To determine the voltage and current values for a specific resistor in a circuit, you can use a multimeter to measure the voltage across the resistor and the current flowing through it. Alternatively, you can use the given circuit diagram and known values of voltage and current to calculate the values using Ohm's Law.

3. Can the average power absorbed by a resistor in a circuit change over time?

Yes, the average power absorbed by a resistor in a circuit can change over time. This can happen if there are changes in the voltage or current values, as the power formula is dependent on these factors. The power absorbed by a resistor can also change if the resistance of the resistor changes.

4. How does the average power absorbed by a resistor in a circuit affect the overall circuit performance?

The average power absorbed by a resistor in a circuit affects the overall circuit performance by dissipating energy in the form of heat. This can cause the resistor to heat up and potentially affect its performance or even lead to failure. It is important to choose a resistor with an appropriate power rating to ensure the circuit functions properly.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the average power absorbed by a resistor in a circuit?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the average power absorbed by a resistor in a circuit. These include the ambient temperature, the resistance of other components in the circuit, and the type of resistor being used. It is important to consider these factors when designing a circuit to ensure the proper functioning and longevity of the resistor.