Find the Best Zemax Textbook for Professional Optical Engineers

In summary, the person is looking for a good Zemax textbook to learn about optical engineering. They have some experience with the software but are not an expert. They are also interested in knowing more about the person's background and the type of applications they are interested in.
laclry311
Summary:: Hi all, does anyone know a good Zemax textbook? I’d like to learn.

Hi all, does anyone know a good Zemax textbook? I’d like to learn. I am a professional looking to move into the optical engineering field.

Science news on Phys.org
Do you already have a copy of the Zemax optical design software? How are the tutorials and Help features? What have you found in your initial Google searches for learning resources for Zemax?

https://www.zemax.com/

Paging @Andy Resnick

laclry311 said:
Summary:: Hi all, does anyone know a good Zemax textbook? I’d like to learn.

Hi all, does anyone know a good Zemax textbook? I’d like to learn. I am a professional looking to move into the optical engineering field.
I used Zemax a little bit, a long time ago. Sorry, don't have a good user guide to suggest.

But more broadly, since there are multiple optical design codes considered 'industry standard' (Zemax, Code V are two imaging-based, ASAP is one non-imaging optical design code), what is your background and what kind of applications are you interested in pursuing?

1. What is Zemax and why is it important for optical engineers?

Zemax is a software used for designing and analyzing optical systems. It is important for optical engineers because it allows them to simulate and optimize different optical designs, saving time and resources in the development process.

2. What factors should I consider when choosing a Zemax textbook?

When choosing a Zemax textbook, consider the level of detail and complexity you need, the specific applications you are interested in, and the author's credibility and experience with Zemax.

3. Are there any free resources for learning Zemax?

Yes, Zemax offers a free online learning platform called "Learn Zemax" which includes tutorials, videos, and webinars. There are also many online forums and communities where users share tips and resources for learning Zemax.

4. Can I use any Zemax textbook for self-study or do I need prior knowledge?

While prior knowledge in optics and optical design is helpful, most Zemax textbooks are written with the assumption that the reader has no prior knowledge of the software. Therefore, they are suitable for self-study.

5. Are there any recommended Zemax textbooks for specific applications?

Yes, there are Zemax textbooks that focus on specific applications such as lens design, illumination systems, and laser systems. It is important to research and choose a textbook that aligns with your specific needs and interests.