Find the diameter of the piston at certain heights

sgk777
Homework Statement
A 56.0 kg cheerleader uses an oil-filled hydraulic lift to hold four 130 kg football players at a height of 0.900 m. The diameter of the cheerleader's piston is 18.0 cm.

A) What is the diameter of the football players' piston if the cheerleader and football players are at the same height?

B) What is the diameter of the football players' piston if the football players are held to a height 0.900 m above the cheerleader?
Relevant Equations
F1/A1 = F2/A2 + pgh
1698536610892.png

I solved for part A by using the equation r2 = sqrt(m2/m1) * r1

im having trouble solving for part B, I know that you would use the equation F1/A1 = F2/A2 + pgh and solve for r2, but when I solved for r2, I got an undefined number. Can someone run me through this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome, @sgk777 !

We need you to post your calculations, please.

Lnewqban said:
Welcome, @sgk777 !

We need you to post your calculations, please.
A)

1698538424520.png

B)

F1/A1 = F2/A2 + pgh
(F1/A1 = F2/A2 + pgh)(A1 * A2) multiply both sides by A1 and A2 to cancel out the denominator
that gives:
A2F1 = A1F2 +A1A2(pgh)
subtract A1A2(pgh) from both sides:
A2F1 - A1A2(pgh) = A1F2
factor out A2:
A2(F1 - A1(pgh)) = A1F2
divide both sides by (F1 - A1(pgh)):
A2 = A1F2 / (F1 - A1(pgh))
solve for r2, where A1 = pi(r1)^2 and A2 = pi(r2)^2 and F1 = m1g and F2 = m2g.
that gave me:
1698538729776.png

when i plugged in the known values, i got an undefined number.

redoing my calculations, i got this:

1698539414334.png

it doesnt seem reasonable though

It might be useful to write down the units. Try again, please.

1698540728097.png

1. What units on 900 are required so that the equation makes sense?
  2. Where did you get that number?
  3. Are you using /mixing cm and m in tha same equation? Care is required.

sgk777 said:
A2 = A1F2 / (F1 - A1(pgh))
solve for r2, where A1 = pi(r1)^2 and A2 = pi(r2)^2 and F1 = m1g and F2 = m2g.
that gave me:
View attachment 334444
How did ##F1 - A1(pgh)## become ##1-A1(pgh)##? (I assume p is 900 kgm-3.)

1. How do I measure the diameter of a piston at certain heights?

To measure the diameter of a piston at certain heights, you will need a caliper or micrometer. Place the piston on a flat surface and use the caliper or micrometer to measure the diameter at the desired height. Make sure to measure at multiple points and take an average for more accurate results.

2. What is the importance of finding the diameter of a piston at certain heights?

The diameter of a piston at certain heights is important for determining the volume of the piston and the amount of force it can generate. It is also crucial for ensuring proper fit and function of the piston within its cylinder.

3. Can I use a ruler to measure the diameter of a piston at certain heights?

No, a ruler is not an accurate tool for measuring the diameter of a piston at certain heights. A caliper or micrometer is necessary for precise measurements.

4. How do I calculate the diameter of a piston at a specific height if I only have the overall diameter measurement?

If you only have the overall diameter measurement of a piston, you can use the formula for calculating the circumference of a circle (C = πd) to find the diameter at a specific height. Simply divide the overall circumference by 3.14 (π) to get the diameter at that height.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of measuring the diameter of a piston at certain heights?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of measuring the diameter of a piston at certain heights, such as the precision of the measuring tool, the condition of the piston and cylinder, and the skill of the person taking the measurements. It is important to use high-quality tools and take multiple measurements for more accurate results.