Find the electric field on the surface of a sphere using Coulomb's law

In summary, the electric field at the point (0, 0, 0.04) outside the surface of the charged metal sphere is 5625 V/m.
zelscore
Homework Statement
A charged hollow metal sphere of negligible thickness, with outer radius 0.04m has its center positioned at the origin (0,0,0) of a Cartesian coordinate system. The sphere is loaded with a charge of 1 nC. It is surrounded by free space.

Calculate the electric field (magnitude and direction) at the point (0, 0, 0.04) precisely outside the surface of the sphere.
Relevant Equations
Coulombs law: E = ## \frac {1} {4πε}## ##\int## ##\frac {\rho R_{SO}} {R^3_{SO}} \, dv##
##R_{SO}## is a vector pointing from the source point to the observation point. ##R_{SO} = R_O - R_S ##

##\epsilon = 8.85 * 10^-12##
Note that the solution is 5625 V/m in z direction which is found easier using Gauss' law, but I want to find the same result using Coulombs law for confirmation.

Lets give the radius 0.04 the variable a = 0.04m.
##\rho## is the charge distribution distributed evenly on the surface of the sphere, which is equal to Q/Area = ##\frac {1*10^{-9}} {4 \pi a^2}## = ##4.97*10^{-8}##

We find ##R_{SO} = R_O - R_S## = ##(0, 0, a) - (asin \theta cos\phi, asin \theta sin \phi, acos \theta) = (-asin \theta cos \phi, -asin \theta sin \phi, a - acos \theta)##

Note that ##R_S## is just the vector pointing from origo to a point on the sphere, so it is given by the spherical coordinates above.

Now ##R^3_{SO}## = magnitude of ##R_{SO}## cubed ##= \sqrt{a^2sin^2 \theta cos^2 \phi + a^2 sin^2 \theta sin^2 \phi + a^2 + a^2 cos^2 \theta}^3## = ##\sqrt{a^2 + a^2}^3 = 0.00181## by use of the trigonometric identity ##sin^2 x + cos^2 x = 1##

The Jacobian for spherical coordinates is ##a^2 sin \theta##

Now I put everything into Coulombs law and E = ##\frac {1} {4πε}## ##\int## ##\frac {\rho R_{SO}} {R^3_{SO}}## ##\, dv## = ##\frac {\rho} {4 \pi \epsilon}## ##\int_0^{2\pi}## ##\int_0^\pi## ##\frac {(-asin \theta cos \phi, -asin \theta sin \phi, a - acos \theta)} {0.000181}## ##0.04^2 sin \theta \, d \theta d \phi ## = $$\frac {\rho 0.04^2} {4 \pi \epsilon 0.000181} \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^\pi (-asin \theta cos \phi, -asin \theta sin \phi, a - acos \theta) sin \theta \, d \theta d \phi =$$

$$ 3950 \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^\pi (-asin^2 \theta cos \phi, -asin^2 \theta sin \phi, a sin \theta - acos \theta sin \theta) \, d \theta d \phi $$

However I get stuck at this step, can someone help me solve this or help anyhow i'd appreciate.

Physics news on Phys.org
zelscore said:
Homework Statement:: A charged hollow metal sphere of negligible thickness, with outer radius 0.04m has its center positioned at the origin (0,0,0) of a Cartesian coordinate system. The sphere is loaded with a charge of 1 nC. It is surrounded by free space.

Calculate the electric field (magnitude and direction) at the point (0, 0, 0.04) precisely outside the surface of the sphere.
Homework Equations:: Coulombs law: E = ## \frac {1} {4πε}## ##\int## ##\frac {\rho R_{SO}} {R^3_{SO}} \, dv##
##R_{SO}## is a vector pointing from the source point to the observation point. ##R_{SO} = R_O - R_S ##

##\epsilon = 8.85 * 10^-12##

Note that the solution is 5625 V/m in z direction which is found easier using Gauss' law, but I want to find the same result using Coulombs law for confirmation.

Lets give the radius 0.04 the variable a = 0.04m.
##\rho## is the charge distribution distributed evenly on the surface of the sphere, which is equal to Q/Area = ##\frac {1*10^{-9}} {4 \pi a^2}## = ##4.97*10^{-8}##

We find ##R_{SO} = R_O - R_S## = ##(0, 0, a) - (asin \theta cos\phi, asin \theta sin \phi, acos \theta) = (-asin \theta cos \phi, -asin \theta sin \phi, a - acos \theta)##

Note that ##R_S## is just the vector pointing from origo to a point on the sphere, so it is given by the spherical coordinates above.

Now ##R^3_{SO}## = magnitude of ##R_{SO}## cubed ##= \sqrt{a^2sin^2 \theta cos^2 \phi + a^2 sin^2 \theta sin^2 \phi + a^2 + a^2 cos^2 \theta}^3## = ##\sqrt{a^2 + a^2}^3 = 0.00181## by use of the trigonometric identity ##sin^2 x + cos^2 x = 1##

The Jacobian for spherical coordinates is ##a^2 sin \theta##

Now I put everything into Coulombs law and E = ##\frac {1} {4πε}## ##\int## ##\frac {\rho R_{SO}} {R^3_{SO}}## ##\, dv## = ##\frac {\rho} {4 \pi \epsilon}## ##\int_0^{2\pi}## ##\int_0^\pi## ##\frac {(-asin \theta cos \phi, -asin \theta sin \phi, a - acos \theta)} {0.000181}## ##0.04^2 sin \theta \, d \theta d \phi ## = $$\frac {\rho 0.04^2} {4 \pi \epsilon 0.000181} \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^\pi (-asin \theta cos \phi, -asin \theta sin \phi, a - acos \theta) sin \theta \, d \theta d \phi =$$

$$ 3950 \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^\pi (-asin^2 \theta cos \phi, -asin^2 \theta sin \phi, a sin \theta - acos \theta sin \theta) \, d \theta d \phi $$

However I get stuck at this step, can someone help me solve this or help anyhow i'd appreciate.

What precisely is stopping you from integrating there?

zelscore said:
Now ##R^3_{SO}## = magnitude of ##R_{SO}## cubed ##= \sqrt{a^2sin^2 \theta cos^2 \phi + a^2 sin^2 \theta sin^2 \phi + a^2 + a^2 cos^2 \theta}^3##

##a^2 + a^2 \cos^2 \theta## is wrong, it should be the square of ##a-a\cos(\theta)##.

Likes PeroK
ehild said:
##a^2 + a^2 \cos^2 \theta## is wrong, it should be the square of ##a-a\cos(\theta)##.
Okay I corrected this and get ##R^3_{SO}## to equal ##\sqrt {a^2 (2-2cos \theta)}^3 ## instead of 0.000181. However here is a picture showing an integral calculator online failing to solve this integral. Any ideas? This problem is really confusing me because considering I am working with a sphere, there should be some geometric symmetry which makes for "good looking" numbers as a result, not an unsolvable integral...

Last edited:
PeroK said:
What precisely is stopping you from integrating there?
Okay I actually made an error like the comment by another user pinpointed, but I corrected this and get ##R^3_{SO}## to equal ##\sqrt {a^2 (2-2cos \theta)}^3 ## instead of 0.000181. However here is a picture showing an integral calculator online failing to solve this integral. Any ideas? This problem is really confusing me because considering I am working with a sphere, there should be some geometric symmetry which makes for "good looking" numbers as a result, not an unsolvable integral...

Last edited:
zelscore said:
Any ideas? This problem is really confusing me because considering I am working with a sphere, there should be some geometric symmetry which makes for "good looking" numbers as a result, not an unsolvable integral...

That integral is not hard to do. It's only sines and cosines.

zelscore said:
Okay I corrected this and get ##R^3_{SO}## to equal ##\sqrt {a^2 (2-2cos \theta)}^3 ## instead of 0.000181. However here is a picture showing an integral calculator online failing to solve this integral.
Use the identity 1-cos´(theta)=0.5(sin^2(theta/2). Write the integral separately for the x,y,z components of the electric field.

1. What is Coulomb's law and how does it relate to electric fields?

Coulomb's law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that describes the force between two charged particles. It states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This force is what creates electric fields, as the presence of a charge creates a force that can act on other charges in its vicinity.

2. How can Coulomb's law be used to find the electric field on the surface of a sphere?

To find the electric field on the surface of a sphere, we can use Coulomb's law in its vector form. This involves breaking the sphere into infinitesimal charges and calculating the contribution of each charge to the total electric field at a point on the surface. By summing up these contributions, we can find the net electric field on the surface of the sphere.

3. What are the key variables and constants needed to use Coulomb's law for finding electric fields?

The key variables needed for using Coulomb's law to find electric fields are the charges of the particles involved, their distance from each other, and the permittivity of the medium they are in. The permittivity is a constant that describes how easily electric fields can pass through a material. In a vacuum, the permittivity is represented by the symbol ε0 and has a value of 8.85 x 10-12 C2/N·m2.

4. Can Coulomb's law be used for any type of charge distribution?

Yes, Coulomb's law can be used for any type of charge distribution, as long as the charges are stationary. This includes point charges, line charges, surface charges, and volume charges. However, for more complex charge distributions, the calculations may become more difficult and may require advanced mathematical techniques.

5. Are there any limitations to using Coulomb's law for finding electric fields?

One limitation of Coulomb's law is that it only applies to stationary charges. It cannot be used to calculate the electric fields of moving charges, which require the use of the more comprehensive Maxwell's equations. Additionally, Coulomb's law assumes that the charges are point-like and do not have any physical dimensions. This may not always be the case, especially for larger charged objects, and can lead to inaccuracies in the calculated electric field.