Find the equation of the plane parallel to two lines

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an equation for a plane that contains two lines through a given point A, parallel to two distinct vectors B and C. The student also has some doubts and clarifications about the problem statement and its interpretation. The solution involves finding a plane that is parallel to both B and C and passes through A. The equation for this plane is given as (\left(x,y,z\right)-\overrightarrow{OA})\cdot\overrightarrow{B}\times\overrightarrow{C}=0. The student plans to verify this by plugging in OA + tB and OA + tC for the two lines.
Sho Kano

Homework Statement

Let A, B and C be distinct vectors in V3 with B and C non-parallel.
a. Find an equation for the plane containing both the line through A parallel to B and the line through A parallel to C.
b. Verify that the two lines actually lie in the plane.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't see any situation where a plane containing A can be parallel to a plane containing C if they are distinct vectors (distinct as in non-parallel)

Physics news on Phys.org
Sho Kano said:

Homework Statement

What is V3? Presumably it's a 3-dimensional vector space. If so, is it different from ##\mathbb{R}^3##?
Sho Kano said:
a. Find an equation for the plane containing both the line through A parallel to B and the line through A parallel to C.
This is a very strange description. The context here seems to be that A is a point, but the earlier description is that A is a vector. I would guess that what they're calling vector A is the vector ##\vec{OA}##, with O being the origin and A being the endpoint of the vector. Otherwise this problem doesn't make much sense.

Was the problem statement originally in some other language?
Sho Kano said:

Homework Equations

I can't see any situation where a plane containing A can be parallel to a plane containing C if they are distinct vectors (distinct as in non-parallel)

The question is not well expressed. Here is what I think they mean.

Let A,B,C be three points in ##\mathbb R^3## and denote the origin by ##O##.

Let L1 be a line through A that is parallel to line segment ##\bar{OB}##.
Let L2 be a line through A that is parallel to line segment ##\bar{OC}##.

(b) Show that there is a plane that contains both L1 and L2; and
(a) find the equation of that plane.

Sho Kano said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

While the question is not absolutely clear, I think one interpretation of it is that we have two vectors ##\vec{B}## and ##\vec{C}## in a 3-dimensional space; these are, perhaps, like force vectors or velocity vectors, having tails and heads not necessarily at the origin. Assuming that is the case, make a copy ##\vec{C}'## of ##\vec{C}## but whose tail coincides with the tail of ##\vec{B}##, so that ##\vec{B}## and ##\vec{C}'## emanate from the same point in space, but have different directions. There certainly IS a plane P that contains both vectors ##\vec{B}## and ##\vec{C}'## (that is, which contains the three points that lie at the two ends of these vectors). Any Plane P that is parallel to P will be parallel to both vectors ##\vec{B}## and ##\vec{C}## (the original ##\vec{C}##), and now all you need to is figure out which such plane passes through the point A which lies at the end of the vector ##\vec{A}## (assuming that this last vector has its tail at the origin).

Mark44 said:
Was the problem statement originally in some other language?
I copied the problem straight off the problem set; I'll try to clarify with the teacher today

Mark44 said:
What is V3? Presumably it's a 3-dimensional vector space. If so, is it different from R3R3\mathbb{R}^3?
There's no difference, my teacher just likes to use V3 as a distinction from R3 (for whatever reason) for the first few days of the class

OK so apparently, we are supposed to find a plane that has both B and C in it, and A intersecting it. It makes sense because a plane can be parallel to many vectors.
The equation of such a plane can be [itex]\left( \left< x,\quad y,\quad z \right> -\overrightarrow { OA } \right) \cdot \overrightarrow { B } \times \overrightarrow { C } =0[/itex] right?
Then I guess I just do part b by plugging in OA + tB and OA + tC.

Last edited:

1. How do you find the equation of a plane parallel to two given lines?

To find the equation of a plane parallel to two lines, you first need to find the normal vector of the plane. This can be done by taking the cross product of the direction vectors of the two lines. Once you have the normal vector, you can use it along with a point on one of the lines to write the equation of the plane in the form ax + by + cz = d.

2. Can a plane be parallel to only one of the lines?

No, a plane can only be parallel to two lines. This is because a plane is a two-dimensional surface, and if it is parallel to only one line, then it would have to intersect the other line, which would make it not parallel.

3. How many solutions can there be for finding the equation of a plane parallel to two lines?

There can be infinitely many solutions for finding the equation of a plane parallel to two lines. This is because there are infinitely many planes that can be parallel to the given lines, as long as they have the same normal vector.

4. What if the two lines are parallel to each other?

If the two lines are parallel to each other, then there are two possible cases. If the two lines are also coplanar, meaning they lie on the same plane, then any plane parallel to one of the lines will also be parallel to the other line. If the two lines are not coplanar, then there will be no plane that is parallel to both lines.

5. Can the two lines intersect at a point and still be considered parallel?

No, if two lines intersect at a point, then they are not parallel. In order for two lines to be parallel, they must never intersect, meaning they are always the same distance apart from each other.