Find the Force to move 2 objects, and force between the 2

• Thread starter lemonade
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary: M2:ƩFx=m2*axm2*ax=Fcos(25)-fs_(g on 2)+F(1 on 2)since m2*ax is greater than m1*ax we can say that the 2nd piece of furniture is pushing the 1st piece.
lemonade

Homework Statement

You are moving furniture in your room as shown in the figure below. What force, F, is needed to make both pieces of furniture (M1=20kg and M2=15kg) move? Assume the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.40 and the coefficient of static friction is 0.60 between the floor and furniture but there is no friction on the vertical sides where the furniture pieces touch each other. Once the furniture starts moving, if you continue applying the same force, F, what will be the force between the two pieces of furniture? The angle, θ, is 25 degrees.

Part 1: Find the amount of force to move the furniture at f_staticmax

Part 2: What will be the force of the two furniture if we continue applying the same force in part 1?

Homework Equations

ƩFxnet=m*ax
ƩFynet=m*ay=0 (ay=0)
f_static=μ_static*N

The Attempt at a Solution

FBD: https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/58524

Part 1: Solve for Fx that moves the furniture

M1+M2:
ƩFx=m_(1+2)*ax
m_(1+2)*ax=Fcos(25)-fs_(g on 1+2)
fs_(g on 1+2)=Fcos(25)-m_(1+2)*ax

ƩFy=m_(1+2)*ay=0 (ay=0)
0=N-m(1+2)*g-Fsin(25)
N=m_(1+2)*g+Fsin(25)

M1:
ƩFx=m1*ax
m1*ax=Fcos(25)-fs(g on 1)-F(2 on 1)
ax=[Fcos(25)-fs(g on 1)-F(2 on 1)]/m1

ƩFy=m1*ay=0 (ay=0)
0=N-m1*g-Fsin(25)
N=m1*g+Fsin(25)

M2:
ƩFx=m2*ax
m2*ax=Fcos(25)-fs_(g on 2)+F(1 on 2)
ax=[Fcos(25)-fs(g on 2)+F(1 on 2)]/m2

ƩFy=m2*ay=0 (ay=0)
0=N-m2*g-Fsin(25)
N=m2*g+Fsin(25)

Solve for ƩFx of m1+m2, using the acceleration of one of the furniture. The ax of m1 is equal to the ax of m2.

ƩFx=(m1+m2)*ax
I use ax of m1 and m2 respectively.

m1:
ƩFx=(m1+m2)*[Fcos(25)-fs(g on 1)-F(2 on 1)]/m1
=(m1+m2)/m1 * [Fcos(25)-fs(g on 1)-F(2 on 1)]

m2:
ƩFx=(m1+m2)*[Fcos(25)-fs(g on 2)+F(1 on 2)]/m2
=(m1+m2)/m2 * [Fcos(25)-fs(g on 2) + F(1 on 2)]

m1 should equal m2, but I don't know how to solve it since I don't have F.
(m1+m2)/m1 * [Fcos(25)-fs(g on 1)-F(2 on 1)] = (m1+m2)/m2 * [Fcos(25)-fs(g on 2) + F(1 on 2)]

This is my first time using physics forums, and I'm not sure if I can ask this, but I am lost on how to solve for this problem, and if I am solving for the correct Force. Not sure if I'm allowed to ask these questions though. :(

All help is much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
The link to your attachment do not work?

Static friction

The static friction force grows to maximum if F is increased steadily.
Just before the object starts moving it is given by

f = μS N

This means that the acceleration will be zero just before the furniture starts to move.
Only at this point can you evaluate the static friction.

Attachments

• static friction.jpg
    static friction.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 422
Last edited:
Just before the furniture will start to move we can then say that

F = f

or

F - f = m[itex]\:[/itex]a
[itex]\ [/itex]= 0

This means that in you formula

M1:
ƩFx=m1*ax
m1*ax=Fcos(25)-fs(g on 1)-F(2 on 1)

you can set ax to zero. Also F(2 on 1) will be zero since the friction balances the horizontal component of the pushing force out. This means that the 1st piece of furniture is not pushing the second one yet.

Related to Find the Force to move 2 objects, and force between the 2

1. How can I determine the force needed to move two objects?

The force needed to move two objects can be determined by using the formula F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the objects, and a is the acceleration. By calculating the mass and acceleration of the objects, you can determine the amount of force needed to move them.

2. What is the relationship between the force and the distance between two objects?

The force between two objects is directly proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the two objects increases, the force decreases, and vice versa.

3. How does the force of gravity affect the movement of two objects?

The force of gravity is the attractive force between two objects with mass. It affects the movement of two objects by pulling them towards each other. The strength of the force depends on the mass of the objects and the distance between them.

4. Can the force between two objects be negative?

No, the force between two objects cannot be negative. Force is a vector quantity that has both magnitude and direction. If the force is acting in the opposite direction, it is simply considered as a negative force. However, the magnitude of the force will always be positive.

5. How can I increase the force between two objects?

To increase the force between two objects, you can either increase the mass of the objects or decrease the distance between them. Increasing the mass will increase the force, while decreasing the distance will increase the force due to the inverse square law of force.