Find the function f(x) satisfy: x=0,-> f(x) =0, x<>0, f(x)=1

• B
  • Thread starter Viet Tu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation is discussing finding a function f(x) of a variable x in the real field that satisfies the conditions of f(x) = 0 when x = 0 and f(x) = 1 when x ≠ 0. The function is being used in a spreadsheet, and the discussion explores different ways to express it, including using a Dirac Delta function and a piecewise function. Ultimately, the solution of using the characteristic function, 1 - χ0, is considered but deemed too complicated for the current situation.
Viet Tu
My problem is simple, but I couldn't solve it:
This is: Find a function f(x) of a variable x, x is in real field. the F(x) satisfy:
When x = 0, f(x) = 0
When x<>0, f(x) =1.

Anyone can help me?

Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Viet Tu said:
My problem is simple, but I couldn't solve it:
This is: Find a function f(x) of a variable x, x is in real field. the F(x) satisfy:
When x = 0, f(x) = 0
When x<>0, f(x) =1.

Anyone can help me?

Thank you.
That appears to be a complete definition of the function. What more is there to find?
Are you really asking whether it can be expressed in terms of standard functions?
Is this homework?

Thanks for reply.
Yes, it exactly is express form of function. It's not homework but created by myself when I solve a problem in my job.

Perhaps you could describe the problem that came up at work.

My guess is you're trying to represent your function definition using common math functions in software where instead you could simply define a function to return a zero with x/=0 and a 1 when x=0.

This could be related to a Dirac Delta function (which really isn't a function):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirac_delta_function

where you could write it as something like this: ##f(x) = 1 - \delta(x)##

but of course this wouldn't work because ##\delta(x)## is infinite at x=0

Likes Viet Tu
jedishrfu said:
Perhaps you could describe the problem that came up at work.
Yes, we would like to see the scenario that this function describes.
jedishrfu said:
My guess is you're trying to represent your function definition using common math functions in software where instead you could simply define a function to return a zero with x/=0 and a 1 when x=0.

This could be related to a Dirac Delta function (which really isn't a function):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirac_delta_function

where you could write it as something like this: ##f(x) = 1 - \delta(x)##

but of course this wouldn't work because ##\delta(x)## is infinite at x=0

Alternatively, the function could be defined piecewise.
##f(x) = \begin{cases} 0 & \text{if }x = 0 \\ 1 & \text{if }x \ne 0 \end{cases}##

If this function is the result of a spreadsheet calculation, it's easy to build logic into a spreadsheet cell for this.

Likes Viet Tu and jedishrfu
Viet Tu said:
Thanks for reply.
Yes, it exactly is express form of function. It's not homework but created by myself when I solve a problem in my job.
Express it in what context? Are you writing a computer program? A spreadsheet formula? Or just a technical paper?

haruspex said:
Express it in what context? Are you writing a computer program? A spreadsheet formula? Or just a technical paper?
Express as polynomial form. This is in spreadsheet formula. I have alternative solution, using "if" command. However, I'm trying to find a solution in math.

Viet Tu said:
Express as polynomial form. This is in spreadsheet formula. I have alternative solution, using "if" command. However, I'm trying to find a solution in math.
No chance of polynomial form, or any "school" algebra. But don't think of math as limited to that. Math allows functions to be defined as you wrote it in post #1, and the appropriate way to express it in a spreadsheet is with IF.

Likes jedishrfu and Viet Tu
haruspex said:
No chance of polynomial form, or any "school" algebra. But don't think of math as limited to that. Math allows functions to be defined as you wrote it in post #1, and the appropriate way to express it in a spreadsheet is with IF.
Thanks for your response.

How about ## 1- \chi_0 ## , where ##\chi_0 ## is the characteristic function of 0 , i.e. ##\chi_a## is 1 at a and 0 elsewhere ? EDIT : In my experience, most of the time, it is ##\chi_A ## , where ##A## is a set, but then you can just use ##A= ## {##a ##}

Last edited:
Likes jedishrfu
WWGD said:
How about ## 1- \chi_0 ## , where ##\chi_0 ## is the characteristic function of 0 , i.e. ##\chi_a## is 1 at a and 0 elsewhere ? EDIT : In my experience, most of the time, it is ##\chi_A ## , where ##A## is a set, but then you can just use ##A= ## {##a ##}
I think it is a good solution. Nonetheless, it's too complicated for my case. Thank you so much.

What is the function f(x) that satisfies the given conditions?

The function f(x) that satisfies the given conditions is:

f(x) = { 0 if x = 0, 1 if x ≠ 0 }

How do I find the function f(x) that satisfies the given conditions?

To find the function f(x), you can use the information given in the conditions and write it in function notation. In this case, f(x) = { 0 if x = 0, 1 if x ≠ 0 }.

Can there be more than one function that satisfies the given conditions?

No, there can only be one function that satisfies the given conditions. This is because the conditions specify the output of the function for each input, leaving no room for variation.

What is the significance of x = 0 and x ≠ 0 in the given conditions?

The value of x = 0 is significant because it specifies the input for which the output of the function is 0. The value of x ≠ 0 is significant because it specifies the input for which the output of the function is 1.

Can the function f(x) be defined for any other values of x?

No, the function f(x) is only defined for the values of x = 0 and x ≠ 0 as specified in the conditions. Any other values of x will not have a corresponding output for the function f(x).