Is $f(x) = xf(1)$ the only solution to the given functional equation?

• MHB
  • Thread starter caffeinemachine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functional
In summary, $f(x+y+2xy) = f(x)+f(y)+2f(xy)$ for all $x, y\in\mathbb R$. This can be used to get $f(2017x) = 2017f(x)$.
caffeinemachine
Gold Member
MHB
Let $f:\mathbb R\to \mathbb R$ be a function satisfying $f(x+y+2xy) = f(x)+f(y) + 2f(xy)$ for all $x, y\in\mathbb R$. Then I need to show that $f(2017 x) = 2017 f(x)$ for all $x\in \mathbb R$.

I am not sure where to start. All I could note is that $f(0)=0$ which one obtains by susbtituing $x=y=0$. If $f$ is a linear functions then clearly $f$ satisfies the given condition and I suspect that these are the only candidates for $f$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you put $y=-\frac12$, that should lead you to $f(4x) = 4f(x)$. But I don't see any way to get from $4$ to $2017$.

Opalg said:
If you put $y=-\frac12$, that should lead you to $f(4x) = 4f(x)$. But I don't see any way to get from $4$ to $2017$.

Assuming $f$ is an odd function, and then replacing $x$ by $-x$ and $y$ by $-y$ and adding we get
$$f(x+y+2xy) + f(-x-y+2xy) = 4f(xy) = f(4xy)$$
where the last equality is by your observation. This looks like $f(a) + f(b) = f(a+b)$ since $(x+y+2xy) + (-x-y + 2xy) = 4xy$.

So one can make some progress from here. But that is assuming if $f$ is odd. Are you able to see why $f$ should be odd?

Here's another approach. In the equation $f(x+y+2xy) = f(x)+f(y) + 2f(xy)$, put $(x,y) = (0,0)$ to get $f(0) = 0.$ Then put $(x,y) = (-1,-1)$ to get $f(-1) = (-1)f(1).$

Now assume as an inductive hypothesis that $f(k) = kf(1)$ for all $k$ with $-n\leqslant k\leqslant n$. Put $(x,y) = (n,-1)$ to get $f(-n-1) = f(n) + f(-1) + 2f(-n) = (-n-1)f(1).$ Next, put $(x,y) = (-n-1,-1)$ to get $f(n) = f(-n-1) + f(-1) + 2f(n+1)$, from which $2f(n+1) = 2(n+1)f(1)$ and hence $f(n+1) = (n+1)f(1)$.

That completes the inductive step, showing that $f(n) = nf(1)$ for all $n\in\Bbb{Z}$. In particular, $f(2017x) = 2017f(x)$ for all $x\in \Bbb{Z}$. But this time I don't see how to get from $\Bbb{Z}$ to $\Bbb{R}$! If you knew that $f$ was continuous, you might try to show that $f(r) = rf(1)$ for all rational $r$, and then the result would follow by continuity for all real $x$. But presumably you're not given that information.

1. What is a functional equation?

A functional equation is an equation that involves a function or multiple functions. It relates the input values of a function to its output values.

2. How do you solve a functional equation?

To solve a functional equation, you need to find the function that satisfies the given equation. This can be done by plugging in different values for the input and solving for the corresponding output.

3. What is the significance of $f(x) = xf(1)$ in the given functional equation?

The equation $f(x) = xf(1)$ is a linear functional equation, which means that the output of the function is directly proportional to the input. It is a special case of functional equations and has important applications in various fields of mathematics and science.

4. Is $f(x) = xf(1)$ the only solution to the given functional equation?

Yes, $f(x) = xf(1)$ is the only solution to this specific functional equation. However, there may be other solutions to different functional equations with similar forms.

5. What are some real-life applications of functional equations?

Functional equations have many practical applications in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering. For example, they can be used to model relationships between variables in a system or to optimize certain processes.